BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #45
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
yea, i do look forward to the future M cars after all, including the new M3.
The funny thing is, we know ~50%+ info about what the next M would be.
We know it will most likely have a similar chassis, stiffened, lighter (they say), same inline 6 turbo but around 490hp (s58, shared with the next X3M), 6MT possible, better i-drive tech obviously.

Once this comes out, there's absolutely 0 memorable, special features about the F80 and 0 reason to get the F80...I would rather wait out a yr or two extra and get next one in mint used condition. Just like the trend we see in used car market with different generations of M3/M4, more civilized M car = more ppl will buy it = more in the market. Just look over the F80 forum and see how many M3/M4 are in sale...lol
Sounds far away but I see the next generation M3/M4 in used car market in 3~4 yrs time.
In a way it's true this is kind of a circle jerk as this is the E9X forum not the F8X one, however, it would also be naive to suppose that many people in this forum lack the funds to buy an F80 if they wanted to.

I'll preface the rest of my post by saying I am an M fan for life. Regardless of the generation, no competitor is even on the same playing field for the stuff I like.
I track a lot and BMW is the only one that builds cars that are capable of tracking. Some will point out that it has 'shitty brakes', but a BBK is a reasonable expense. Basically, the core BMW builds of the expensive stuff is very well suited to the race track. You can mod the brakes for 3k, but how do you mod an oiling system that isn't designed for the track? Or insufficient engine cooling? or a tranny/diff that overheats? or insufficient power?
The BMW engine, tranny and chassis are supremely well suited to race track. There is nothing else I prefer to track and after years of spanking P cars at the track I have lost all respect for them, so if I wanted to spend more on my tracking addiction I'd buy a M4 GTS.

After tracking the E92 a couple years I was sure I was going to buy an F8X but after driving them on track I was disappointed. I'm sure it's a bit faster but it's also less enjoyable. The M2 did absolutely nothing for me, the only way I'd buy that car is if I wanted a cheap new M daily driver.

With the F8X discarded I looked for other options. The C7 was an option.Then I followed some poor bastard's thread after the purchase of a C7 Z51 Stingray. He couldn't do more than two laps on the stock PSS tires without overheating the engine and tranny. He then spent thousands on radiators, ceramic coating, etc to try to get the car not to overheat. Well that clearly removed the Vette from my purchase list.

I ended up buying a mint E90 a few months later, which is now my primary track car.

When I compare the F8X to the E9X I prefer the E9X, however, when I compare the F8X to its competitors it's a different story

vs C63S: don't make me laugh. 4000lb? No manual? I'd be forced to buy the coupe as the 4 door has no space to fit wide tires

vs Alfa Romeo: this doesn't even register as an option to anyone that has read a few reviews. I'm not sure I'd be able to make it out of my driveway without it breaking down. Alfa Romeo is a joke of a company who builds unreliable pieces of shit. I've read so many reviews of it and it's managed to break down in almost 100% of them! WTF! How would this take tracking?

vs RS4/5: again, 4000lb, stupid AWD, engine in front of the front axle

vs GT350R: this is a cool car and has a wonderful NA engine, however, I can't help but be concerned that it'll actually continue functioning with extended track use and it weighs way too much. An M4 can be had for 3550lb. This is like 3700-3800 because face it, I'd be adding A/C back in

vs ZL1 1LE: this sounds like lots of fun but if Chevy can't build a regular C7 that doesn't overheat or a Z06 that can do more than one hot lap it's hard to believe this thing really functions

vs C7 GrandSport: seems like the best option of any competitor, but again, I'm skeptical that it'll take hard tracking properly.

I'm not sure the M3 has any real competitors. If your thing is hard parking I'm sure the RS5, C63S and Alfa all look very pretty and make girls think you have a badass car. The M3 however is actually a badass car.

Ultimately, the problem with the F8X is the same as the one I have for the 1M: they will be superceded in every way by the next generation.
The 1M had a crappy civilian engine. The M2 also has a crappy civilian engine but with more power.
The S55 is nice and all but the S58 will be superior in every way.

Until the day BMW makes a hybrid M3, the F8X will be superceded by every generation.

The E9X represents the pinnacle of NA M engines.
Appreciate 15
Montaver2125.00
usu335i110.50
KPop148.00
UPSROD945.50
Foggins1331.50
Law6379.00
Ngilbe361618.50
BOOF-M34450.00
6ixSpd6008.50
L4ces337.00
      11-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #46
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

M cars always seem to retrospectively viewed more positively. Like a great young footballer who get's injured, and his legend grows the less he plays (I'm thinking of Jack Wilshere here).

The E46 received some criticism when it came out, too much body roll, crap brakes, too civilised compared to the E30/36.. Now its held up as a pure all round machine.

E9x criticised for being too heavy, it's a V8, no torque, brakes still average etc. Now its the last bastion of a great M dynasty of naturally aspirated engines and hydraulic steering.

The M3 GTS had a lukewarm reception at best on release. Too fat, too slow, not special enough, just buy a GT3 etc. Now according to Evo 'its flowing beautifully through corners'.

The Z4M, rattly, snappy, better off buying an E46. Now it's idolised as a raw sports car.

Similarly the F80 will be better viewed as time goes on, particularly when compared with the competition as Shadow pointed out.

Ultimately they are all great cars, it just depends what lense you view them through and where the prevailing narrative is at that point in time.
Appreciate 2
usu335i110.50
Foggins1331.50
      11-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #47
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
M cars always seem to retrospectively viewed more positively. Like a great young footballer who get's injured, and his legend grows the less he plays (I'm thinking of Jack Wilshere here).

The E46 received some criticism when it came out, too much body roll, crap brakes, too civilised compared to the E30/36.. Now its held up as a pure all round machine.

E9x criticised for being too heavy, it's a V8, no torque, brakes still average etc. Now its the last bastion of a great M dynasty of naturally aspirated engines and hydraulic steering.

The M3 GTS had a lukewarm reception at best on release. Too fat, too slow, not special enough, just buy a GT3 etc. Now according to Evo 'its flowing beautifully through corners'.

The Z4M, rattly, snappy, better off buying an E46. Now it's idolised as a raw sports car.

Similarly the F80 will be better viewed as time goes on, particularly when compared with the competition as Shadow pointed out.

Ultimately they are all great cars, it just depends what lense you view them through and where the prevailing narrative is at that point in time.
Good assessment Montaver

F8X was heavily criticized and now EVO (I have a subscription) finally lets it win the comparisons against the C63S, etc.

Same story with the Z4MC, however, having driven those extensively I have to say a Z4MC will kill you dead. The one I have most experience with is now stripped out, supercharged to 550hp, has PFC brakes, MCS suspension, CAE shifter and it will kill you faster than you can say 'watch this shit'

I remember the E9X being 'heavy' and 'no torque' as well in the reviews, although it received the highest praise of any generation yet. Car and Driver compared it to the 911 base and it won, to the GTR and the 911 Turbo and it won as well. They printed those famous words 'other car companies should stop building their own cars and just build M3s instead'

As you say it is always important to compare on relative terms vs absolute ones. Seeing the M philosophy since the beginning I am quite sure that the day M builds a full electric car -sad day indeed but it's coming- it'll be the one I prefer out of all its competitors.
Appreciate 2
usu335i110.50
6ixSpd6008.50
      11-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #48
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Good assessment Montaver

F8X was heavily criticized and now EVO (I have a subscription) finally lets it win the comparisons against the C63S, etc.

Same story with the Z4MC, however, having driven those extensively I have to say a Z4MC will kill you dead. The one I have most experience with is now stripped out, supercharged to 550hp, has PFC brakes, MCS suspension, CAE shifter and it will kill you faster than you can say 'watch this shit'

I remember the E9X being 'heavy' and 'no torque' as well in the reviews, although it received the highest praise of any generation yet. Car and Driver compared it to the 911 base and it won, to the GTR and the 911 Turbo and it won as well. They printed those famous words 'other car companies should stop building their own cars and just build M3s instead'

As you say it is always important to compare on relative terms vs absolute ones. Seeing the M philosophy since the beginning I am quite sure that the day M builds a full electric car -sad day indeed but it's coming- it'll be the one I prefer out of all its competitors.
I'm enjoying this discussion and as a former Z4MR owner, I agree that the car will "kill you dead" if you're not paying attention and don't respect the car. When I was driving my M3 in the mountains last weekend I was struck by how much more confident I felt in my M3 around corners compared to my Z4M.

I'm wondering how people might describe the M-philosophy today compared to 8-10+ years ago when BMW was still making more "raw" and N/A powered cars. From the seat time I've head in the F80 M3, I do think the newer cars lost some of that "specialness" from the prior gen models in exchange for better tech, more performance, improved economy,etc., but whether that's good or bad will depend on your vantage point and driving use case. At the end of the day, I'd be happy driving any "M" car over just about anything else in its class.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      11-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #49
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
yea, i do look forward to the future M cars after all, including the new M3.
The funny thing is, we know ~50%+ info about what the next M would be.
We know it will most likely have a similar chassis, stiffened, lighter (they say), same inline 6 turbo but around 490hp (s58, shared with the next X3M), 6MT possible, better i-drive tech obviously.

Once this comes out, there's absolutely 0 memorable, special features about the F80 and 0 reason to get the F80...I would rather wait out a yr or two extra and get next one in mint used condition. Just like the trend we see in used car market with different generations of M3/M4, more civilized M car = more ppl will buy it = more in the market. Just look over the F80 forum and see how many M3/M4 are in sale...lol
Sounds far away but I see the next generation M3/M4 in used car market in 3~4 yrs time.
No matter how you think it drives, F80 will be special because it looks phenomenal. Historically, I would have never considered a sedan M3 since the couple always looked better, but the F80 sedan just looks so damn good, I couldn't resist. And, I've been fortunate enough to own every generation of M3.

This is also a function of a lot of 2015 models coming off lease. Many of these same people are upgrading to 2018 M3/M4, especially ZCP cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #50
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I am one of the many that made the move back to an E9X M from a F8X. In full transparency, the one thing that does worry me with the move is being completely vulnerable as the car is out of warranty. Was nice peace of mind to have a newer BMW with bumper to bumper coverage. Good news is that the car I’m in now was half the price of the other car, so I’ve put aside a rainy day fund just in case. I know these cars are generally reliable, but my car is still a 5 year old German car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #51
last1left
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I think the front end on the F80 m3/4 look good but the rest is just okay but then looks are subjective.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #52
SLC Steve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E90

This was a good read and after looking at the photos it instantly looked like my home. Where are you at in Utah? I am in the south end of Salt Lake (Bluffdale). If you aren't on there already the Utah BMW Enthusiast group on Facebook it is actually a pretty decent group, along with the Utah Association of Euros. The local BMW community is a really good group, I have made some great friends. They are a responsible group. I would love to see your coupe sometime. My E90 just went to bed last week and will come out again some time in spring.
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50
      01-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #53
usu335i
Keep it clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

After being gone for around 6 weeks I found time to clean the car and take a few more pics. As a disclaimer I'm no professional nor do I own a camera other than my iPhone haha.

Love the way Melbourne red can change in different lighting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Not Sure212.50
kj71109188.50
ItsGary1457.50
      01-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #54
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by usu335i View Post
After being gone for around 6 weeks I found time to clean the car and take a few more pics. As a disclaimer I'm no professional nor do I own a camera other than my iPhone haha.

That's a lovely red color. Which steering wheel did you go with? And is that an MPE?

Edit: Nevermind, just read the first post on the thread and saw your mod list
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50
      01-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #55
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:

- Motor. This discussion will go on and on for ages. But the fact is you can't compare a NA to turbo engine.
Better yet, You can't compare a race car derived, 8400rpm high rev NA motor with ITB vs. an inline-6 motor using 2 Mitsubishi turbo (TF035) making 430ish/400ftlb.
Meticulously tuned turbo car? well, a 335i with $480~630 ecu tune turns 430hp/430ftlb in my garage.
The S65 was the climax of BMW M engineering NA motor, period

- Power. driven WOT both cars on a same road, and like you mentioned, in order for us to really SEE the difference between the two in terms of actual SPEED, we need a longer track, maybe a race track. GTR or a highly tuned s14 240SX, yes it shows a big difference than my E90 even on a short road course.
F80? not much different.

- Suspension, like you mentioned, we can't tell much in daily basis. I did drive on mountain roads, however, both stock wheels + tires. In various settings, they drive well at the identical level

- Brakes. Thought they did well this time with the 4 piston front / 2 piston rear brakes for non-ceramic option. Damn, these brakes fade as bad as E9X in aggressive driving. Conclusion: it isn't "better" than E9X. Both cars, change pads for track use anyways

- daily driving, what surprised me and my friend most is that F80 is very stiff (I heard about the whole discussion of competition package being better ride etc etc)on a public road with bumps and pot holes here and there. It is so stiff that even in a month or two of ownership, that plastic and leather creaking sound bother the sxxx out of us. Ride back to back (both stock), anyone can tell that it is more uncomfortable to be in the F80. In fact, My car has eibach springs and it rides better on public road.

- Space. Dimensionally F80 has bigger back space. In real life, Not really. It has about an inch or two more leg space, but obviously no space in the center like the E90.
The BMW, since E36 sedans, has a very similar back seat design, in that the side of each seat (where the seatbelt is) is rather thick and gives you a good "huggging" feel when there's 2 ppl sitting in the back. Because they're cushioned rather thick, the space you "feel" when you sit in the back is pretty much the same as E90's. And yea all civilized, better space for back seat occupants, but NO center armrest and NO CUP HOLDERS??? wtf bmw...what were you thinking??? weight saving my ass... when you have steering wheel heaters, all around camera and etc...

- MPG. In 70~80% traffic, 20~30% highway, My car gets 17.6mpg. F80 around ~ 19.2 mpg. drastically better? No.

- Sound. Not going to argue about the exhaust tone, we all know which ones better.
I'm talking about the exhaust tone in the cabin (again, we are using these cars daily and that's important). The goddamn fake bass tone feeding through the speakers bother passengers so much especially in the back seat. It just "hums" and drones so much on highway that friends did not want to be in the back seats after about 2 hrs on the highway. For this, I know some F80 owners cancel fake exhaust sound system. My car with OEM exhaust mod drone less than the F80 stock.

-Interesting you mentioned B9 S4. Didn't get a chance to drive that one but did a C43 as all arounder. And in daily basis, there's not a single difference in feel between C43 and F80 M3. Same good turbo torque, that's it pretty much. Oh, Mercedes has better interior design but has worse material, the "chrome" look plastic and worse stupid nav screen + nav system.

Style. Lastly, you tell me which one looks more flashy in stock form. I ask because I'm in your age category as well, and I like a more "subtle" car better than all-out flashy car.
Attachment 1725344
Attachment 1725345

My final conclusion after a back to back comparo + still frequently in F80 M3 is that, other than the
- LED headlights
- 100ft lb torque
- better I drive screen
It is hard to say that the F80 is "better" than the E90. It's a great car, but having owned E90 and experiencing F80, can't say it's better. No wonder a good number of people are coming back, at least for a more memorable, special character engine.
Having owned an F82 for 8 months (and tracked it 5 times), and then sold it and moved to an E93, I come to the same conclusion as you, but come to it with differences.

Motor - Stock F8X is simply wayyyy faster than an E9X. Sure, with mods, all comparisons become mod-specific. But from the factory, the F8X motor is deliciously fast, and especially so on the track.

I like BMW's NA V8 more too (and even like it more when it's supercharged, because even that's more linear than the output of the F8X's turbos). But in regards to output from the factory and raw speed, F8X is damn quick, almost too much so in certain situations.

Power - Driven on the same roads, the F8X is just super quick once the turbos spool up, which only take about a second. Then it's just gone. Stock, it's just faster. If you didn't feel the definitive difference, then you chose to overlook how fast the outside world started to move past you in the F8X. It's a pretty fast car, especially past 20 mph.

Suspension - F8X simply ride harsher, which pays off on the track. The F8X platform is a monster on a track, and more challenging to drive fast. You can't simply turn off all the nannies and just hammer it when you're coming out of a turn. I liked the challenge, a LOT. On a track is when the F8X platform shines, on the ride home, not so much. Both my F82 and E93 are lowered, and still, the F8X road much harsher (stock vs. stock, F82 still rides rougher). Smoothness and compliance, E9X gets the edge. Capability? F8X hands down.

Brakes - I had the stock carbon ceramics on my F82, and they had zero fade, even after 5 track days....and I only changed the pads once in 6 months, 22,000 miles (I took several long trips in the car) and 5 track days.

No way a stock E9X can compete with that. So I know the definitive edge is to the F8X.

Daily Driving - F8X not only rides stiffer, but it sounds like azz, and I even had a full aftermarket exhaust. But it definitely has some improved in cabin-tech, I did love the silverstone (off white) interior and seats, and I liked having a HUD.

E9X rides better, sounds wayyyy better and since I have an E93, every trip with the top down is memorable (hec, even with the top up). I traded the better technology and more capable platform for a more emotional experience....and it was the best decision I made for myself. I simply love the E9X motor, driving characteristics and exhaust note....and don't miss the HUD. I only miss how good my F82 looked inside and out. I don't even miss the speed. I track another car, and am able to drive other friend's F8X's at the track.....so I don't miss out my occasional track days.

Definitive edge in DD is the E9X platform, but no denying how much better the F8X can look inside and out when dropped and modded lightly.

Space - The F8X is a large coupe, so you get more space on the inside. Packaging and space, the F8X edges the E9X, though only slightly.

MPG - Without a doubt my tuned F82 with an aftermarket intake and aftermarket exhaust was wayyyy more efficient than my E93. I could get 25 mpg on the highway all day, and even edged up to 27 on some long stretches on trips. Comparatively, my tuned E93 with a full exhaust seems to gobble up gas, lucky if I can even get 23 mpg on the highway, and often it's much less. No question that the turbo 6 is way more efficient (and powerful), such is the state of technology. If I commuted in my E93 every day as a single car, the poor gas mileage would grow annoying for sure. Never felt that way in the F82.

Definitive edge is the F8X platform, but if you're buying this kind of car to save as much gas as possible, you're obviously buying the wrong kind of car.

Sound - ....is one of the big reasons I left the F8X platform altogether. My F82 with a full Active Autowerke exhaust, it just didn't sound good in every day driving. The intake npise and engine notes were less than inspiring (and I even had an aftermarket intake). On the track, it sounded damn good and overtly aggressive, staying at or near WOT. But on the ride home, ho-hum.

My E93 with an Akrapovic exhaust? Otherwordly. It makes a trip to the grocery store memorable. From the exhaust to the engine, it's almost symphonic. I have a friend with a Ferrari and one with a Lambo, and both of them have even said when driving my car that BMW got it right. The Lambo sounds wayyyy more aggressive, no denying that....but the Ferrari and BMW have similar engine notes, the Ferrari just revs faster and harder of course. I will eventually supercharge my E93, and then my E9X will gather speed more quickly.....but it's plenty fast enough for me now.

I do occasionally miss the all out thrust of the F82 at WOT once the turbos are on full boil, as the torque can be intoxicating. But it's rare that I miss it. I love the linear delivery of power in the E9X in a whole different way.

So, ultimately, I think the F8X platform is formidable. If you like the sound, and don't mind having to tame the beast, it's a helluva car. It's fast, and is glorious on the track....and I think it looks good, even though it's a large coupe.

But I made the switch, to the E9X platform (a 2013 E93).....after coming from an AMG and a V8 Lexus. And I love it.....so much so that I'd consider keeping it long term, for 150,000+ miles. It just feels right, sounds right, and is just aggressive enough for me without being ostentatious (my F82 was the same way aesthetically).

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses....and both are highly capable and modify-able. But for me, choosing one, the E93 won out.

And if I keep the car, then I'll likely just save for a Porsche, or a high-powered Audi sedan. As long as I have my E93, it frees me up to get a completely different animal for my next car. Fingers crossed that I hit the German lottery.

Last edited by KevinGS; 01-02-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
usu335i110.50
Bl0ck101.00
redpriest2145.50
      01-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #56
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Power - Driven on the same roads, the F8X is just super quick once the turbos spool up, which only take about a second.

Suspension - F8X simply ride harsher,

, the F8X road much harsher (stock vs. stock, F82 still rides rougher). Smoothness and compliance, E9X gets the edge.
After test driving a couple F80s (one of them ZCP) two things jump out at me big time, to your points above.

1. Yes, it's faster BUT it's not more satisfying, even less in some ways, due to the lag. It may be the least-laggy turbo motor ever made but relative to the S65/S54 it's an eternity between putting your foot down and getting forward thrust. Very disconnected, not as good. Lot's of torque, yes, but very 'peaky' and non-linear. Could I get used to it? Sure. Would it ever be as satisfying as a proper NA motor? Highly doubt it.

2. Ride quality, particularly in the ZCP, is much, much firmer/more hardcore in the F80 than the E9X. The F80 reminds me of the 46M in that regard. Focused, direct and FIRM. Frankly, I don't see how anyone much over 40/45 years old could actually DD a new ZCP. I'm also betting that they become rattle traps with so little isolation from the road.... course the E9X is pretty bad in this regard, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #57
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Of course the F82 is "much" faster than the e93. The e90 and e92 are also measurably faster than the e93, given the 400 lb increase in weight. I am not saying that the e92 is as fast as the F82, because it isn't, but the difference, new coupe vs old coupe is far less dramatic than new coupe vs old vert.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #58
usu335i
Keep it clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
Power - Driven on the same roads, the F8X is just super quick once the turbos spool up, which only take about a second.

Suspension - F8X simply ride harsher,

, the F8X road much harsher (stock vs. stock, F82 still rides rougher). Smoothness and compliance, E9X gets the edge.
After test driving a couple F80s (one of them ZCP) two things jump out at me big time, to your points above.

1. Yes, it's faster BUT it's not more satisfying, even less in some ways, due to the lag. It may be the least-laggy turbo motor ever made but relative to the S65/S54 it's an eternity between putting your foot down and getting forward thrust. Very disconnected, not as good. Lot's of torque, yes, but very 'peaky' and non-linear. Could I get used to it? Sure. Would it ever be as satisfying as a proper NA motor? Highly doubt it.

2. Ride quality, particularly in the ZCP, is much, much firmer/more hardcore in the F80 than the E9X. The F80 reminds me of the 46M in that regard. Focused, direct and FIRM. Frankly, I don't see how anyone much over 40/45 years old could actually DD a new ZCP. I'm also betting that they become rattle traps with so little isolation from the road.... course the E9X is pretty bad in this regard, too.
Yes this was true for me. The f82 is beautiful inside and out. However my new M4 had rattles and buzzes that my "old" e92 does not.

I've said before, the torque in the f8x makes you a lazy driver. I didn't find it necessary to rev beyond 4500. And if I did the engine "died" off around 6700.

Even though I know I'm not going as fast in the e92 I feel like I'm going faster. The manual trans, intoxicating sound, and engine that pulls much higher in the rev range gives the sensation of higher speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #59
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
Of course the F82 is "much" faster than the e93. The e90 and e92 are also measurably faster than the e93, given the 400 lb increase in weight. I am not saying that the e92 is as fast as the F82, because it isn't, but the difference, new coupe vs old coupe is far less dramatic than new coupe vs old vert.
Yes, understood. I've been in my fair share of E92s, and test drove like 6 of them before I settled on the convertible....and still without a doubt, the F82 is much faster than a stock E92. It's measurable. You hit the M button in the F82 and turn off the nannies, and it becomes a wild beast you have to tame on the street. Corner to corner, the F82 is pretty damn fast.
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50
      01-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #60
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes this was true for me. The f82 is beautiful inside and out. However my new M4 had rattles and buzzes that my "old" e92 does not.

I've said before, the torque in the f8x makes you a lazy driver. I didn't find it necessary to rev beyond 4500. And if I did the engine "died" off around 6700.

Even though I know I'm not going as fast in the e92 I feel like I'm going faster. The manual trans, intoxicating sound, and engine that pulls much higher in the rev range gives the sensation of higher speed.
Yes, interesting enough, the sensation of speed to me is much more sublime in the E9X platform. The progressive pull is so linear that it lulls you into thinking you're not moving as fast you are, because the outright pull never really occurs until you're screaming near the redline....and at that point, the glorious sound takes over the whole experience.

So, for me, 150 in the E9X feels like 100...it's so serene and solid.

In the F82, 150 feels like 150, as it feels a little more nervous, and it snorts and pulls while getting there....and you don't need to get near redline to maximize your speed. You could shift at 6500 RPMs in the latter gears and be fine.

Just completely different experiences. On a track, both have their charms.....but if the lowest track times are your goal, the F82 with carbon ceramic brakes is a helluva weapon. It's decidedly faster, because it simply sticks better, brakes better and is faster.

But the E9X platform is a ton of fun on the track as well, just in a different way.

As a daily driver and occasional blast through the mountains, I prefer the E9X platform hands down, it just feels better and is a more connected experience.
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50
      01-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #61
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

the experience of driving a full bolt-on E92 m3 is hard to beat IMHO. sound, pull, grunt, growl, n/a throttle response, steering, stance, etc.

after I crashed my '08, I looked at a number of available options. had to come back to the e92.
      01-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #62
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Yes, understood. I've been in my fair share of E92s, and test drove like 6 of them before I settled on the convertible....and still without a doubt, the F82 is much faster than a stock E92. It's measurable. You hit the M button in the F82 and turn off the nannies, and it becomes a wild beast you have to tame on the street. Corner to corner, the F82 is pretty damn fast.
Stock vs Stock 0-60 they are pretty damn close. It feels like my stock e92 DCT is as fast to 60 or just about the same as my old 6MT M4 w/ 550rwhp. Grant it I couldn't put power down til 70mph in that car.

I owned the F8x for 3 years after owning 3 E9x and now back in an E9x. In the end the F8x is worlds faster in a strait line but IDGAF as its boring and sounds like shit.
Appreciate 2
usu335i110.50
UPSROD945.50
      01-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #63
M3Fan1985
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice find. Digging the interior!
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50
      01-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #64
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Stock vs Stock 0-60 they are pretty damn close. It feels like my stock e92 DCT is as fast to 60 or just about the same as my old 6MT M4 w/ 550rwhp. Grant it I couldn't put power down til 70mph in that car.

I owned the F8x for 3 years after owning 3 E9x and now back in an E9x. In the end the F8x is worlds faster in a strait line but IDGAF as its boring and sounds like shit.
Well, my F82 felt worlds faster than all the E92s I've driven, but part of this is because torque is a helluva drug, that solid push in the back can be thrilling. And yes, traction is a real issue in the F82...kind of scary on the street.

The E92 can feel slow because the power is so progressive and because of the lack of low end torque, until the final 1000 RPMs when the thrust intensifies with the engine noise.

And yes, the F82 just sounds like azz....unless you're at the track driving like a banshee.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #65
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Great googly moogly what a view to wake up to - both the car and that range in the background! I got back from north Nevada a few months ago for work and that area has me wanting to move west.

Can't say that I've ever been a fan of red cars (despite me owning a bunch of them), but that Melbourne Red has me rethinking things... Looks great!
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50
      01-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #66
D1ESEL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11.5 ZCP E90, GT3's

Quote:

Your view of the mountains is incredible! The car looks pretty nice as well
Appreciate 1
usu335i110.50