BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #45
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Rear suspension on the cayman had always been an issue because it's basically a simple strut style rear suspension. The 911 rear is much more complicated, and no the GT4 is not a true multi link but revised and upgraded heavily.

991 suspension tuning IMO is outstanding.
An issue for who?

Sometimes, complicated doesn't mean better. And one could argue that the multi-link suspension is a necessity given the rear engine weight dynamics of the 911.

Again, former 911 owner here and I loved that car. I totally get why someone would chose a 911 but... let's be honest with ourselves... I'm NOWHERE near a good enough driver that "pedestrian" strut suspension on the Cayman is a limitation for me.

I will admit to geeking out about 10-years ago when a good friend of mine bought one of the first 987 Cayman S and we put his car up on a rack next to my NSX. The beautiful, intricate suspension of the NSX looked like a whole new league of cool compared to the Cayman. And yet... for most drivers, in most situations, that Cayman drove as well, if not better, than my NSX.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #46
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
most people are going to want the bigger, more luxurious car. Its the reason why car makers are putting more luxury into cars while also getting bigger. MOST PEOPLE will take a 650 over a m4. people like my mom or sister. the car guys make a much smaller percentage of the car buyers.

there is a small percentage of people who truly want a small light weight car.
Yes, and I guess this is me. Cars, in general, have just gotten too big IMO. I really love my wife's S3 to tell you the truth. If I didn't need the space of my S6 from time to time, I would get myself an S3 for a DD.
      07-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #47
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

I went from an E92 DCT M3 to a 2014 981 Cayman S with Sport Chrono, PDK, PASM, etc. The most beautiful car I've owned so far, and a blast to drive. The Honolulu dealer was pretty good to deal with, but service costs are outrageous (hence why I did everything I could myself such as oil changes etc.). It was a tad quicker than my M3 was (easier to launch) in a quarter mile, but the M3 would walk it up top over 120, which was a very acceptable compromise for everything else the Cayman brings to the table.

The best overall car I've owned yet including my current one (as far as overall product quality). I tend to get board easily no matter how good the car is, and moved on to more of a project car that satisfies my need to tweak. Cayman is perfect stock IMHO.

The Cayman sure got a lot of attention from the general public and enthusiasts alike. The general public seemed to think it was quite more of a higher end car than it really was for some reason, and it being red got "hey. a Ferrari!" comments from a couple that saw it coming from the front, which provided good humor.

Although I'm happy with what I've moved on to (for very different attributes), I will always miss that Cayman. Just brilliant and beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:30 AM   #48
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrinavi View Post
I just think driving a Cayman is a little sanitary - The 911 is visceral and raw.
I think a big part of why you say that is because you had a 981 Cayman (current generation) but now have a 997 911 (previous generation). All the current generation Porsches feel more isolated and refined, including the new 991 911. Even the new 991 feels less rear engined than prior generations.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #49
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
I think a big part of why you say that is because you had a 981 Cayman (current generation) but now have a 997 911 (previous generation). All the current generation Porsches feel more isolated and refined, including the new 991 911. Even the new 991 feels less rear engined than prior generations.

That very well could be the case, the 991's I've tried do feel more sedate than my 997.2 GTS even though they compare favorably on paper. I think I'm going to keep this GTS for a while
Appreciate 0