BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Talking ESS VT2 Update

While I’ve only had the kit installed for 4 months and about 6k miles, I feel compelled to provide an update for the benefit of anyone on the fence about getting a S/C. Do it. This kit continues to impress me every time I drive it, be it spirited or casual driving. It’s simply amazing how smoothly this car can put down roughly 600hp (although, to be fair, first gear can be described as nothing less than violent). I wouldn’t say that I’ve become desensitized to the power, because it still scares me every time I open the throttle, but I will say I was less than impressed when I drove a new 2011 C2S with PDK recently. It’s no surprise that it doesn’t have anywhere near the thrust of an ESS M3, but I looked at it more as what my M3 felt like pre-S/C. I suppose you could say that I was just surprised by how big the difference was. The C2S felt like it had a hamster wheel for a motor in comparison. I also hated the PDK in comparison to DCT.

Most importantly though, I’m amazed at the reliability of this kit. I’ve done 4 track days in the past 8 weeks (with at least 4 more on the docket for rest of the year), and I haven’t experienced the slightest hiccup or indication that I’m pushing the car too much. And I’ve really beaten on it hard. Most recently, I was at Autobahn CC on June 6 in 90+ degree heat (95 for most of the day and peaked at 97 degrees – a complete anomaly for this time of year). The oil temp held steady at the hash mark halfway between 210 and 300 and the water temp barely moved from 220 degrees all day (200 is where it usually hovers in normal driving). This is the most important part of the kit for me – I don’t ever want to have to take it easy on the car or feel like it’s compromised in any area. I don’t know if the credit here goes to ESS for building a kit with an effective cooling system or to BMW M for the S65’s impressive ability to dissipate heat, but in either case I’m happier than a pig in shit. I’ve driven stock M5’s and M6’s on the track on cooler days and received the overheat warning light, so the fact that a smaller motor that’s aftermarket modified to produce a higher output is more effective at keeping cool becomes quite impressive.

I hope that anyone considering the ESS waits no longer. That is my only regret with this kit – should have done it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Great write-up!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Agreed, it is an amazing kit.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
While I’ve only had the kit installed for 4 months and about 6k miles, I feel compelled to provide an update for the benefit of anyone on the fence about getting a S/C. Do it. This kit continues to impress me every time I drive it, be it spirited or casual driving. It’s simply amazing how smoothly this car can put down roughly 600hp (although, to be fair, first gear can be described as nothing less than violent). I wouldn’t say that I’ve become desensitized to the power, because it still scares me every time I open the throttle, but I will say I was less than impressed when I drove a new 2011 C2S with PDK recently. It’s no surprise that it doesn’t have anywhere near the thrust of an ESS M3, but I looked at it more as what my M3 felt like pre-S/C. I suppose you could say that I was just surprised by how big the difference was. The C2S felt like it had a hamster wheel for a motor in comparison. I also hated the PDK in comparison to DCT.

Most importantly though, I’m amazed at the reliability of this kit. I’ve done 4 track days in the past 8 weeks (with at least 4 more on the docket for rest of the year), and I haven’t experienced the slightest hiccup or indication that I’m pushing the car too much. And I’ve really beaten on it hard. Most recently, I was at Autobahn CC on June 6 in 90+ degree heat (95 for most of the day and peaked at 97 degrees – a complete anomaly for this time of year). The oil temp held steady at the hash mark halfway between 210 and 300 and the water temp barely moved from 220 degrees all day (200 is where it usually hovers in normal driving). This is the most important part of the kit for me – I don’t ever want to have to take it easy on the car or feel like it’s compromised in any area. I don’t know if the credit here goes to ESS for building a kit with an effective cooling system or to BMW M for the S65’s impressive ability to dissipate heat, but in either case I’m happier than a pig in shit. I’ve driven stock M5’s and M6’s on the track on cooler days and received the overheat warning light, so the fact that a smaller motor that’s aftermarket modified to produce a higher output is more effective at keeping cool becomes quite impressive.

I hope that anyone considering the ESS waits no longer. That is my only regret with this kit – should have done it sooner.
Glad you are enjoying the kit
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Nice review, glad you're still enjoying things.
      06-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Another happy customer !
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
So glad i never been in a car that has it.
      06-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
You need to be....ASAP!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #9
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Once u feel/live the experience,you will feel the need of the boost in ur life,kida like Oxygen !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I'm interested in the response of the engine on the track. Is it just as linear and progressive as the stock motor, but just with more thrust?

Just curious as you are feeding power in out of the corners if the motor's response feels any different or more difficult to modulate. You seem to indicate not.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I'm interested in the response of the engine on the track. Is it just as linear and progressive as the stock motor, but just with more thrust?

Just curious as you are feeding power in out of the corners if the motor's response feels any different or more difficult to modulate. You seem to indicate not.
the power delivery is even smoother than stock - I haven't dyno'd my car, but if you look at the dynos that others have posted, you'll see that torque stays flat all the way to redline (unlike the stock motor which starts to run out of breath at the tail end). so I think your description is right on that it's linear like stock, but with more thrust.

having said that, with a 40% increase in power, you have to be more judicious with the throttle coming out of corners. it definitely takes some getting used to, but there's a lot more you can learn about throttle control when you have to feather it more gently.

it's amazing to me that this motor can retain all of the throttle responsiveness with a blower. I drove an N54 car the other day (I had a 335 a couple years ago too), and the delay between throttle input and power delivery feels like a seriously long time coming from the S65. it's such a tragedy that BMW is scrapping the S65 in the upcoming M3; it's truly a gem.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
it's amazing to me that this motor can retain all of the throttle responsiveness with a blower. I drove an N54 car the other day (I had a 335 a couple years ago too), and the delay between throttle input and power delivery feels like a seriously long time coming from the S65. it's such a tragedy that BMW is scrapping the S65 in the upcoming M3; it's truly a gem.
That's the beauty of superchargers: zero lag. As they're driven by the crank itself there's no need to wait until there's increased exhaust pressure to start getting some boost.

In this case you have the additional advantage of having a centrifugal blower, which conserves the S65's extremely linear power delivery and simply gives you more of the good stuff at all times.

The new turbo engine will be awesome in the way the new M5 is awesome. Yup, it'll be fast and efficient, but it will have lost the instant response and wonderful sound of the NA S65.

Your car is breathtaking and I also thought the acceleration was 'enough'. Once you can't open the throttle all the way running 295 in the rear you know you have enough LOL. No need to get any more HP for any reason.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
That's the beauty of superchargers: zero lag. As they're driven by the crank itself there's no need to wait until there's increased exhaust pressure to start getting some boost.

In this case you have the additional advantage of having a centrifugal blower, which conserves the S65's extremely linear power delivery and simply gives you more of the good stuff at all times.
No, it gives you more of the good stuff only when engine rpm are sufficient for the centrifugal to produce positive pressure. A centrifugal supercharger produces peak boost only at peak rpm, and you are never there for long. The boost curve is actually exponential, with little boost produced in the first half of the engine rpm and more boost produced in the second half of the engine rom. Roughly, the centrifugal will produce the square root of peak boost at half peak engine rpm. In other words, the centrifugal that makes 7.5 psi at 8400 rpm makes 2.75 psi at 4200 rpm.

On the other hand, 2.75 psi does add significant power and on these high revving motors, you are often driving at 4000 rpm and up. And the metered boost of the centrifugal does match up well with the metered power of the low torque high rpm S65 to produce a gradual, straight line power delivery.

A nicely done turbo system will spank a centrifugal because it will produce full boost in the midrange rather than the square root of full boost. Since that is the engine's natural torque peak, torque is way higher with a turbo.

I first supercharged and then turbocharged my E36M3. Both systems were modded well past the typical stage 2 level. With the centrifugal, I made 16 psi peak boost at 7000 and about 4 psi at 3500 rpm, producing 463 rwhp and 368 lbs rwtq. With the turbo, I make 15 psi at 3100 rpm in 5th, 3300 rpm in 4th, 4000 rpm in 3rd, and wheelspin in 1st and 2nd before I hit 15 psi, and it makes around 500 rwhp and around 475 lbs rwtq.

With the turbo, I am not waiting around for the power to arrive like I used to wait with the centrifugal. The fun is not all in the top 1/3 of the rpm curve.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

Quote:

Great write up thanks!

Planning to get myself a ESS SC soon.

What VT model is this? And are there any other mods apart from the SC?

Dyno graphs?

Well done dude!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Excellent feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M760xi

Quote:
don't go anywhere near IND

Nice writeup brosef
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

^^^ he works @ ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post