BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #23
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Perhaps try somewhere with a Hunter Roadforce balancer. Have them check runout.

The roadforce balancer will tell them if there is excess forces. Also where the low spot of the wheel and high spot of the tire. They would need to rotate the tire on the wheel to match this up for least amount of road force.

Most places won't do this unless you specifically ask. They'll probably charge extra also.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/road-force-balancing

When I first mounted my BBS GT4, I ran into a vibration issue. At first I thought it was the spacers as I got no vibrations with the stock 219M, vibration with the 15mm spacers and 219M, and vibrations with the GT4 with spacers. Turns out after a 2nd road force balancing plus a remount, I had no more vibration with 15mm spacers and GT4.

This was caused by a few reasons:

1. The BBS GT4 had a knurled tire bead. This means convention mounting will get majority of it on but it also means it needs a lot more PSI to get them to seat 100% properly. My GT4s were slightly off, which caused the road force to be whack. It took close to 60psi to pop them properly. On my TitanR10 with RS4 tires, it took almost 70PSI to get them to seat properly.

2. Road force was out of whack. Like tdott said, our cars are very sensitive to out of dynamic balance wheels. Spacers AMPLIFY the problem. My stock 219M wheels were fine without spacers but when I added the spacers, it amplified it enough to be noticeable at the steering wheel. This made it hard to rule out the spacers not being the issue but after trying multiple good spacers, I couldn't say it was bad spacers.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2619.00
      11-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #24
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

https://www.hunter.com/find-equipment/

Plenty in Victoria, BC at dealers and Canadian Tire.

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2619.00
      11-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #25
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel14 View Post
https://www.hunter.com/find-equipment/

Plenty in Victoria, BC at dealers and Canadian Tire.
Thanks - I have had them road force balanced. This was pre-machining at the wheel shop and they did not identify the fact the mating surface was not perfect. They mentioned that there was a bit of load but not atypical for a passenger car. I did not get a sheet... Boo on me. Perhaps, given the M3 sensitivity, the force is too much. Hopefully the shop on Friday can check.

The vibration seems a bit better since the wheels were machined but I still have vibration. I noticed yesterday that I had vibration at ~80KPH and it was really noticeable if I weaved side to side - I could feel it a lot when turning the wheel.

When the powder coating was done, they did not mask the mating surface or the centers. I had to use wood and a sledge to get the wheels off... So I lightly sanded the "hub-centric" area to reduce this friction. God I hope I did not screw that up too FFS. I always lightly torque when hanging before giving the lugs an ugga-dugga with my 1/2" cordless impact. Then I drop the car and torque them properly (usually less than 1/4 turn per lug so they are pretty tight in the air).

If I did EFF up this, can a wheel shop fix that? Weld some Al on there and use a lathe to get back to spec?

What a process...

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...

Last edited by Scharbag; 11-10-2020 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #26
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Well, one of my new tires is fooked I guess. Pisses me off. But it will get fixed next week with a new tire.

So the lesson is: MASK THE FUCKING MATING SURFACES...

And sometimes, tires are not round.

Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      11-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #27
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I've bought truck tires before and been told by America's tire co. That "The tires you selected couldn't balance perfectly but we got them as close as we could." Even before they Gave me the keys back. I just purchased new tires for the Bm and two of the wheels came back with no weights on them which is either really good or really bad. 🤔 time will tell.
      11-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #28
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I just installed BBS CH's on my E90 and noticed a vibration in the steering after about 65mph which gradually got worse as I went faster. Called the tire shop (reputable in my area) to tell them they may have balanced them incorrectly and the revalued them, but told me that my problem may be a bent rear wheel. The showed it to me spinning on the balancer and it looked like there was a bit of inconsistency to the rotation. However this second balancing definitely made the car feel better and now it only really starts to vibrate at 80mph or more.

Based on what I observed on the balancer machine, does that absolutely mean that my wheel is bent? I know that the correct BBS metal hub centric rings are installed. Should I try cleaning off the surfaces of them? The previous owner had the wheels respirated and it looks like possibly a little got on the rings but would that be the cause of the vibration?

If the wheel is bent, how the heck do I get it back to spec?
      11-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #29
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
I just installed BBS CH's on my E90 and noticed a vibration in the steering after about 65mph which gradually got worse as I went faster. Called the tire shop (reputable in my area) to tell them they may have balanced them incorrectly and the revalued them, but told me that my problem may be a bent rear wheel. The showed it to me spinning on the balancer and it looked like there was a bit of inconsistency to the rotation. However this second balancing definitely made the car feel better and now it only really starts to vibrate at 80mph or more.

Based on what I observed on the balancer machine, does that absolutely mean that my wheel is bent? I know that the correct BBS metal hub centric rings are installed. Should I try cleaning off the surfaces of them? The previous owner had the wheels respirated and it looks like possibly a little got on the rings but would that be the cause of the vibration?

If the wheel is bent, how the heck do I get it back to spec?
If you saw the lip or edge hopping up and down while spinning in the balancer. Yes it's bent.

Only option is to find a rim repair place and see if they can fix it. Or buy a new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #30
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I want to light my car on fire.

Wheel repair shop said wheels are fine.

1 tire replaced under warranty as it was fucked. I still have wobble. Feel in the seat and on the wheel.

Ready to drive it off a cliff.

Grrr.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #31
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

At this point are you sure its wheel/tire related? swap back the buddies wheels and see. I too have a slight vibration that is driving me insane, but Ive narrowed it down to a center support bearing issue.

either way, good luck.
      12-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #32
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
All 4 of my bee conti tires are like this. This amount of runout seems excessive. Back to the shop. Again. FML.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #33
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I think this shop is lazy and does not know what they are doing.

DERP.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #34
OldenburgerM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 Coupe

I've read through most posts but not every sentence so pardon me if this was already mentioned:

1) The tires that consumers receive are less quality than what the dealers receive. My uncle did a whole goose-chase on this stuff last year. Basically he received tires that were so far out of spec that they were impossible to balance properly - as measured on a specific piece of equipment that he chased down because he's like that. He reported the values, they told him to junk the tires and sent new ones. I would need to find his long e-mail to get the terms right.
2) I was an idiot and bought tirerack wheel and tire combo mounted and balanced, then mounted them improperly and they wobbled like hell. You probably do this but man does it make a difference when you mount and torque wheels with the car weight OFF. Previously I lowered the car and then torqued the nuts, that doesn't work right and I had constant balance issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #35
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Perhaps try somewhere with a Hunter Roadforce balancer. Have them check runout.

The roadforce balancer will tell them if there is excess forces. Also where the low spot of the wheel and high spot of the tire. They would need to rotate the tire on the wheel to match this up for least amount of road force.

Most places won't do this unless you specifically ask. They'll probably charge extra also.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/road-force-balancing

When I first mounted my BBS GT4, I ran into a vibration issue. At first I thought it was the spacers as I got no vibrations with the stock 219M, vibration with the 15mm spacers and 219M, and vibrations with the GT4 with spacers. Turns out after a 2nd road force balancing plus a remount, I had no more vibration with 15mm spacers and GT4.

This was caused by a few reasons:

1. The BBS GT4 had a knurled tire bead. This means convention mounting will get majority of it on but it also means it needs a lot more PSI to get them to seat 100% properly. My GT4s were slightly off, which caused the road force to be whack. It took close to 60psi to pop them properly. On my TitanR10 with RS4 tires, it took almost 70PSI to get them to seat properly.

2. Road force was out of whack. Like tdott said, our cars are very sensitive to out of dynamic balance wheels. Spacers AMPLIFY the problem. My stock 219M wheels were fine without spacers but when I added the spacers, it amplified it enough to be noticeable at the steering wheel. This made it hard to rule out the spacers not being the issue but after trying multiple good spacers, I couldn't say it was bad spacers.
Did VT sort this out for you, or did you go somewhere else? Planning to mount some Titan7's in the near future.
      12-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #36
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Did VT sort this out for you, or did you go somewhere else? Planning to mount some Titan7's in the near future.
0 issue with my Titan7.

The fix wasn't done there but VT also knows how to mount it properly.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
slcook541861.50
      12-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #37
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
0 issue with my Titan7.

The fix wasn't done there but VT also knows how to mount it properly.
Cool, thanks. I recently mounted fresh PS4's and when Matt was balancing them told me 3 out of 4 of my 220m's are bent. Guess wheels jumped up higher on the mod priority list.
      12-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #38
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenburgerM3 View Post
I've read through most posts but not every sentence so pardon me if this was already mentioned:

1) The tires that consumers receive are less quality than what the dealers receive. My uncle did a whole goose-chase on this stuff last year. Basically he received tires that were so far out of spec that they were impossible to balance properly - as measured on a specific piece of equipment that he chased down because he's like that. He reported the values, they told him to junk the tires and sent new ones. I would need to find his long e-mail to get the terms right.
2) I was an idiot and bought tirerack wheel and tire combo mounted and balanced, then mounted them improperly and they wobbled like hell. You probably do this but man does it make a difference when you mount and torque wheels with the car weight OFF. Previously I lowered the car and then torqued the nuts, that doesn't work right and I had constant balance issues.
I am pretty sure the tires are not round AND the shop is a bunch of noobs. 5 weights on 1 wheel. Jesus.

I always tighten the lugs with my cordless impact up in the air. I usually manage 80ftlb or so with it with a few short ugga duggas. Then I torque on the ground and the bolts turn 5-15 degrees. I also wipe the hub and wheel mating surfaces every time.

I have never had so much trouble. Ever. EVER.

We will see what the shop does. At this point, a refund would be nice. Then I would go buy another set of PS4Ss.

Cheers,

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #39
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Did anybody else do front tension arm monoballs and notice the car became less prone to the highway speed steering wheel shimmy? Wondering if it was placebo.
      12-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #40
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Put my Michelin PS4Ss back on. They do not wobble. So it is not the wheels.

What a journey. FML.

I guess I will get some new Michelins in the spring. What a process. Should not be this fukin hard.

🤷

Appreciate 0