BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

07-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #45
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
It's kind of amusing that people think it is weird for groups with common interests to meet up. As mentioned above, I think the weirdness is really determined by the interest or focus of the group.

I got to speaking with an acquaintance about motorsports once, and he mentioned that if I like F1 there is a meetup group for watching the races together. Watching races with other enthusiasts didn't seem weird to me. Now those furry meetup groups on the other hand...
The way you met up with your acquaintance is perfectly normal. All the social cues from F2F communication are there and you can assess the situation in situ. The way Meetup seems it that you can go there for the F1 meet-up, turn into the wrong place and BAM...You're in furry land. As the special guest of honor. With a suit that has opening that are just not right.

I'm here to help.
Can I assume that the members of the Furry F1 group are all fans of Furnando Alonso?

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #46
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Can I assume that the members of the Furry F1 group are all fans of Furnando Alonso?

Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #47
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Is there a meetup site/group for folks like me that don't want to be bothered by anyone?
Yes. The Doll Group. Very quiet there. Ask Wakka for any tips you may need.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
Wakka521.00
      07-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #48
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

07-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #49
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Yes. The Doll Group. Very quiet there. Ask Wakka for any tips you may need.
Hard pass. I just don't like people because most are stupid/assholes. I'm not a creep.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #50
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Hard pass. I just don't like people because most are stupid/assholes. I'm not a creep.
You really dont know what you are missing. The perfect women is just bit of plaster away
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #51
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Why? My take on the situation is, an employee is giving a manager a heads up about a situation that may potentially offend other employees or even customers. While she is not offended by the song per se, it may lead to an HR situation if others are. It sounds like she is just being proactive to me. Who knows, without knowing the song, I could be way off base.

I suppose an analogy could be an employee overhears other employees speaking in a manner that could be offensive to some, while not being personally offended. Speaking up about it could nip the issue in the bud before it potentially gets worse.
I see your point of view and I completely agree with you. With out you having been in the room it's easy to see how yo might come to the conclusion you just came to.

You're imagining the situation went down like this: "Hey boss, just a heads up, there's some music playing over in the XYZ department that some other employees might find offensive. Also wouldn't be a good look for us if a customer walked through the door and heard it. I'm not personally bothered by it, but I still felt it prudent to alert you as other more sensitive ears might take offense." That would have been a gold-star employee moment.

What I got was the employee scheduling a 1-hour meeting on my calendar and using the time to grandstand about the "morally reprehensible" actions of other employees who did not understand how their actions might offend other employees. BTW, I dont recall what the song was, but it was a song that was popular on the radio last summer. There was no profanity but it did have the word "hoe" in it. It's not like they were over there playing 2 Live Crew.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #52
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Never tried it but a friend of mine just met her boyfriend at a meet up and they are both normal people. And "weird" is defined differently to everyone. My non-car friends think it's very weird that I meet people on this forum and we get together and then drive around to a destination in our own cars separately .
Appreciate 4
      07-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's amazing such a rush to judgement about Meetup.com and the various meetup groups there. It's no different than joining BMW CCA. Would you call everyone that joins CCA a bunch of weirdos and losers? Well, we can all probably be classed as weirdos by the non enthusiast community. As others have said there are weirdos in any general sampling of a given population.

I've been a member of various Meetup.com groups for quite a few years. Some of my interests are volleyball, Salsa dancing, and motorcycling. It's a way for me to see what events are happening around town. In the case of volleyball, it's nice to know when pick up games are being organized. In the case of the motorcycling groups, it's nice to know when group rides are happening and where they're going. I've met some really great people through Meetup.com and some that like any social event would not spend any extra energy to get to know.

Something many of you don't know is each Meetup group has an annual fee. So for someone to start one up, they have to throw down money. Granted Meetup also makes money off of advertising and sponsors, but the meetup group as to be started with someone throwing down some cash. Some organizers charge this back to members. Some don't. Some groups have "annual" fees. I'm a member of a motorcycle group where this is the case. You get a few months of free access to see if you like the group and then to continue you pay. I decided to pay as I really like the group. The organizer has social events at her place where she provides all the food. So that's part of where the dues go. And she's very active with community events such as feeding the homeless. These charity events are also group events. I talked to her about the fees once and she said it also weeds out those that are not positive contributors to the group. She and I have gotten to be very good friends and eventually she dropped the annual fee requirement for me which I'm sure she has done for other long time members.
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9665.50
MKSixer34171.50
      07-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #54
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's amazing such a rush to judgement about Meetup.com and the various meetup groups there. It's no different than joining BMW CCA. Would you call everyone that joins CCA a bunch of weirdos and losers? Well, we can all probably be classed as weirdos by the non enthusiast community. As others have said there are weirdos in any general sampling of a given population.
Even amongst my friends very few people ever want to come out to car shows with me, and only one or two ever even wax their cars. So I definitely feel I'm one of the few people who care about this hobby. That's why cars & coffee events exist, to meet new people who have a similar hobby.

While I've never used Meetup.com it's basically the same concept for other hobbies.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #55
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I joined BMWCCA for the rebate on new cars but I suppose others join for the common interest and social events. I am guessing most BMWCCA members found out about it without a website like meetup.com.

I think the "rush to judgment" arose as a result of how OP posed the question. If you have an existing interest and join a well known club of some kind to interact with others who have similar interests, not too unusual. If you can't make friends and go to a website designed to connect with other people who can't make friends that sounds unusual and forced. I think Post #1 sounded more like the latter to many.
      07-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #56
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

So do you guys ride the motorcycles in furry suits?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #57
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I joined BMWCCA for the rebate on new cars but I suppose others join for the common interest and social events. I am guessing most BMWCCA members found out about it without a website like meetup.com.

I think the "rush to judgment" arose as a result of how OP posed the question. If you have an existing interest and join a well known club of some kind to interact with others who have similar interests, not too unusual. If you can't make friends and go to a website designed to connect with other people who can't make friends that sounds unusual and forced. I think Post #1 sounded more like the latter to many.
With my original post I certainly wasn't trying to "rush to judgement" with regards to meetup.com or any group. I was just curious what others experiences have been with the various group/events they have been a part of on there, since I have not used the sight much, but have heard many others talk about it. I'm not sure how people would take what I said as not being able to make friends lol

With that said, I sounds like many people have found driving groups, sports groups, exec, and have met some cool people along the way, so that answers my original question.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #58
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
With my original post I certainly wasn't trying to "rush to judgement" with regards to meetup.com or any group. I was just curious what others experiences have been with the various group/events they have been a part of on there, since I have not used the sight much, but have heard many others talk about it. I'm not sure how people would take what I said as not being able to make friends lol

With that said, I sounds like many people have found driving groups, sports groups, exec, and have met some cool people along the way, so that answers my original question.
Your original post (“I've been trying to branch out and meet more people...) sounded like you were trying to make new friends and using a website to do so, and then went on to mention how meeting some odd people resulted. If that’s not the case, ok, but not hard to see how that perception may have been created.
      07-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #59
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Haven’t read any comments (flame me) but just do Uber for one night. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #60
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Your original post (“I've been trying to branch out and meet more people...) sounded like you were trying to make new friends and using a website to do so, and then went on to mention how meeting some odd people resulted. If that’s not the case, ok, but not hard to see how that perception may have been created.
Wanting to branch out after moving to a different city you grew up in, or even one you did for the matter doesn't mean "unable to make friends", but I get your point.

Lets be honest, once your out of school and working, and the majoirty of your friends have settled down with s/o's and kids, things become a bit more difficult for everyone.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #61
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I've been a member of various Meetup.com groups for quite a few years. Some of my interests are volleyball, Salsa dancing, and motorcycling. It's a way for me to see what events are happening around town. In the case of volleyball, it's nice to know when pick up games are being organized. In the case of the motorcycling groups, it's nice to know when group rides are happening and where they're going. I've met some really great people through Meetup.com and some that like any social event would not spend any extra energy to get to know.

Something many of you don't know is each Meetup group has an annual fee. So for someone to start one up, they have to throw down money. Granted Meetup also makes money off of advertising and sponsors, but the meetup group as to be started with someone throwing down some cash. Some organizers charge this back to members. Some don't. Some groups have "annual" fees. I'm a member of a motorcycle group where this is the case. You get a few months of free access to see if you like the group and then to continue you pay. I decided to pay as I really like the group. The organizer has social events at her place where she provides all the food. So that's part of where the dues go. And she's very active with community events such as feeding the homeless. These charity events are also group events. I talked to her about the fees once and she said it also weeds out those that are not positive contributors to the group. She and I have gotten to be very good friends and eventually she dropped the annual fee requirement for me which I'm sure she has done for other long time members.

I agree, and that was not my intent at all with starting this post. Was just curious the kind of experiences other members have had.

The fees groups charge makes sense in my uneducated opinion. Makes sure the people who sign up actually want to be there and are invested.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #62
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
I agree, and that was not my intent at all with starting this post. Was just curious the kind of experiences other members have had.

The fees groups charge makes sense in my uneducated opinion. Makes sure the people who sign up actually want to be there and are invested.
My comment about rushing to judgement wasn't directed at you as I can tell you were asking an honest question. One may think on the surface Meetup is just a singles site or a place for the socially awkward. But it's definitely more.

It's also more than just hobbies. There's a cybersecurity meetup I'm a member of. I haven't been able to attend any meetups lately, but the last one was definitely legit. The people in attendance were a smattering of commercial, government, and vendor/manufacturers. I was there sort of representing the company I was employed with at the time and ended up running into someone who works for F5 and we've partnered up with. So there's definitely career oriented opportunities there not just to enhance skills sets but also to network among your industry peers.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #63
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So do you guys ride the motorcycles in furry suits?
No. Assless chaps and some times balls out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #64
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Even amongst my friends very few people ever want to come out to car shows with me, and only one or two ever even wax their cars. So I definitely feel I'm one of the few people who care about this hobby. That's why cars & coffee events exist, to meet new people who have a similar hobby.

While I've never used Meetup.com it's basically the same concept for other hobbies.
Quote:

Meetup provides a vehicle for you in one spot browse through groups focused on a particular interest. You don't have to waste your time running around asking what groups are around or actually...physically going there to find out it's not for you. Many times you can get a feel for how the group events are going to be by looking at the event descriptions, the comments, and many times photos taken of the event. And if you don't like the group, you have a place to go back and try the next group without spending much more effort.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #65
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I see your point of view and I completely agree with you. With out you having been in the room it's easy to see how yo might come to the conclusion you just came to.

You're imagining the situation went down like this: "Hey boss, just a heads up, there's some music playing over in the XYZ department that some other employees might find offensive. Also wouldn't be a good look for us if a customer walked through the door and heard it. I'm not personally bothered by it, but I still felt it prudent to alert you as other more sensitive ears might take offense." That would have been a gold-star employee moment.

What I got was the employee scheduling a 1-hour meeting on my calendar and using the time to grandstand about the "morally reprehensible" actions of other employees who did not understand how their actions might offend other employees. BTW, I dont recall what the song was, but it was a song that was popular on the radio last summer. There was no profanity but it did have the word "hoe" in it. It's not like they were over there playing 2 Live Crew.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Now knowing how this situation played out, talk about a waste of time. Hopefully you don't have to deal with this moral crusader too much.
      07-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #66
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Now knowing how this situation played out, talk about a waste of time. Hopefully you don't have to deal with this moral crusader too much.
Agree with both of you! Those kind of people are the WORST to deal with/be around, whether you are the boss, or coworker of said individual.
Appreciate 0