BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

05-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

With or without the petition, this is going to be difficult for the US market. Historically, Audi only usually release a single RS car at a time, per market. With both the TT-RS and the RS5 in the US market already, the market is saturated with RS cars. It's not like M-division, where they supply about as many cars as the supply demands. Supplies of RS cars are usually a limited run, hence why it's fairly rare to see an RS car and why I see M cars every single day.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

^^^ You're right but from past reports we've heard suggestions that Audi wishes to change all that. I.e., they want RS models to be more permanent fixtures and sell in higher volumes, and they want a full RS lineup to exist at once, properly representing their performance heritage, ideals, and intentions.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You might not have seen it footie, but as far as the F31 M3 goes, SCOTT recently claimed that BMW does indeed have this car in the works. So it looks like they intend to go up against the RS4 in the homeland. And thus, they could very well take the battle to this side of the pond too, if Audi were to make the first move.
Claiming a car is in the works and it making production isn't entirely the same thing, even if BMW do indeed produce this car it's popularity will be very limited simply because BMW M drivers traditionally prefer coupes. Resale has a huge effect on how a model sell when new, the coupe holds the best money so is the preferred choice.

But I do get your point that if Audi brought their RS model stateside then chances are BMW would want to compete in all markets.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #26
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I would very much like this. If I get tired of the B7, or if my valves get clogged beyond repair, I may get this or the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #27
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
AGREE!!
WAY to much money for what you get!
Audi's RS line cant compete....hense the reason why you wont see the RS4.
Actually, before the C63 and M3 came along Audi launched the RS4 with the V8. Now all competition in this class has moved up to V8s. So I think it would be sort of inaccurate to say the RS line can't compete.

I think Audi's biggest problem is weight. The RS6 weighs 2 tonnes and the RS5 is overweight too. However, they are still great cars. Audi have now started to reduce weight too because if you look at the new A6 it's lighter than the old A6 and the 5 series. I can't wait to see the next S6/RS6.
      05-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #28
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Actually, before the C63 and M3 came along Audi launched the RS4 with the V8. Now all competition in this class has moved up to V8s. So I think it would be sort of inaccurate to say the RS line can't compete..
The mature than open-minded of us know this to be true but alas there are those that prefer to ignore the obvious that Audi aren't a second player in the performance category but a main player/leader in lots of ways. The fact that their approach is entirely different doesn't mean it's important or impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I think Audi's biggest problem is weight. The RS6 weighs 2 tonnes and the RS5 is overweight too. However, they are still great cars. Audi have now started to reduce weight too because if you look at the new A6 it's lighter than the old A6 and the 5 series. I can't wait to see the next S6/RS6.
I'm glad that not only Audi has woke up to this but all of them have, I imagine the 5er will be the sole new BMW model that will increase it's weight, I bet the 3er will either come in at the same weight or hopefully less like all future Audis will do.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

After the flop that was the RS5 Audi really needs to come back with a solid RS4 to redeem themselves.
      05-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #30
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW M already built an M3 Tourng E46, but it never made to production. Some other made a convertion and built an M3 Touring E91. As for the RS4 Sedan and Avant, I am all for it, it is my favorite Audi RS and maybe Audi at all. It was really unique.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #31
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

I know I'm going to get sticked for this suggestion but I hope the next RS4 has a forced inducted engine. Its time to move on!
      05-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
I know I'm going to get sticked for this suggestion but I hope the next RS4 has a forced inducted engine. Its time to move on!
I can't speak for Audi or what goes on behind closed doors but going by past experience Audi have never switch an engine is one of their RS models mid-cycle. Now before you say it, that it's is a different car to the RS5, I already know this but it is basically an RS5 with an estate shell so all the development work was completed and it's much simplied and cheaper to transplant the entire RS5 guts and be done with it.

That said I am in complete agreement with you, FI is the way forward and no manufacture has more experience of FI than the combined companies that make up VAG.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #33
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I can't speak for Audi or what goes on behind closed doors but going by past experience Audi have never switch an engine is one of their RS models mid-cycle. Now before you say it, that it's is a different car to the RS5, I already know this but it is basically an RS5 with an estate shell so all the development work was completed and it's much simplied and cheaper to transplant the entire RS5 guts and be done with it.

That said I am in complete agreement with you, FI is the way forward and no manufacture has more experience of FI than the combined companies that make up VAG.
I was just hoping that they drop the 4.2 V8. And your input seems more logical as Audi would save alot of money on R&D by just transplanting the current 4.2FSI V8 in the RS4.

Just a thought, I would have loved the new hotted up 2.5 straight 5(450hp+) in the new RS4. That would have been great but oh well
      06-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #34
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
I was just hoping that they drop the 4.2 V8. And your input seems more logical as Audi would save alot of money on R&D by just transplanting the current 4.2FSI V8 in the RS4.

Just a thought, I would have loved the new hotted up 2.5 straight 5(450hp+) in the new RS4. That would have been great but oh well
Oh you will see that engine in a RS4/5 soon enough I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #35
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
So far the rumor is that it will only appear as an Avant (estate form), if true then the chances of it coming to the US is very slim indeed.

The only thing that Audi failed to do with the RS5 was make it as light as the M3, to expect something that weighs 150KG (330lbs) more to outperform a similar specced car was mental, and yet half the time it actually does outperform the M3.

Just imagine what the RS5 could have been like had it weighed the same as the M3.
The failure is being overpriced with no manual transmission. I say overpriced because in Canada the prices are to the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #36
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
The failure is being overpriced with no manual transmission. I say overpriced because in Canada the prices are to the roof.
It's unfortunate that in your country Audi don't appear to be competitively priced. Regarding the transmission, yes they are more entertaining in an old school way but the rest of the world has moved on from manuals and maybe North Americas need to do the same.
Appreciate 0