BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

Caliper Retainer Clip Install

I've been struggling with reinstalling this after swapping out brake pads. How the f do you put it back in all the way?

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Yeah, that's not right.
Take the clip off, then with one hand on the right hand spring and another on the left hand spring, bend both of them down a little bit away from the center plate.
Tilt the caliper clip toward yourself while putting the spring fingers under the caliper points (the ones you are bending down a bit with your right and left hands). Once the fingers are on, then push the plate part onto the caliper but now push it up and away from where the tange on the caliper bracket fits into the slot. Get it lined up and then let the bracket spring back into the slot where the little tongue fits. Hope that helps, sorry no pictures, but it's really easy once you get the hang of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Those are the wrong retainers.
      07-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Those are the wrong retainers.
?

No they're not
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Yeah, that's not right.
Take the clip off, then with one hand on the right hand spring and another on the left hand spring, bend both of them down a little bit away from the center plate.
Tilt the caliper clip toward yourself while putting the spring fingers under the caliper points (the ones you are bending down a bit with your right and left hands). Once the fingers are on, then push the plate part onto the caliper but now push it up and away from where the tange on the caliper bracket fits into the slot. Get it lined up and then let the bracket spring back into the slot where the little tongue fits. Hope that helps, sorry no pictures, but it's really easy once you get the hang of it.
Was able to pop 'em in after some more muscling. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
?

No they're not
you're right. its been a minute since i've seen oem front brakes. my bad.
      07-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you're right. its been a minute since i've seen oem front brakes. my bad.
Yeah, these clips came with the StopTech pads I purchased. At first I thought OEM were silver as well and they were just dirty.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Yeah that photo shows the top clip tab in the right location, but the bottom one is out of position.

It took me a long time to get the knack. I think I had an easier time learning to whistle when I was a kid.

I get the top and bottom tab lined up first. If I push the top tab too far towards the hub, the bottom one pops out and vice versa. So I have to wobble it until they're both barely lined up in the right spots.

Then I press the big flat plate of the clip, using the palm of my right hand, as hard as I can flat up against the caliper. The idea is to make sure the tabs at the top and bottom can't move.

Then with my left hand, I stick a screwdriver just below the center tab, and use it to pry the whole flat plate backwards, so the tab moves clear of the caliper. It usually sticks on the edge of the caliper but doesn't settle all the way down into the caliper slot, so I push it down the last bit with the tip of the screwdriver.
Appreciate 0