BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Headlights auto-level went crazy

After I got my car back from Spocom, the headlights are shining very high. High as the high beams. So last night, I cranked the adjustment down about 8 full cranks and it's still high but better. From what I understand, the headlights will auto-level according to sensors somewhere. I'm almost positive that the car didn't get messed with during the show but the amount that I have to adjust the headlights seems ridiculous.

The car has been lowered for quite some time without any issues with the headlights at all. Then all of a sudden, it's way, way off.

Anyone know what the deal is? Is the level adjuster infinitely variable? I'm worried that if I keep cranking it down, I will have no adjustment left for later. I'm getting close to taking this into the dealer...
      06-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

thank god i am not the only one having this problem. everyone on the highway thinks i have the HIgh beam up ... but i am taking to the dealer this week to fix it.

the SA told me its possible after i lowered my car. the technician moved the sensor... that will cause the problem

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I had to take the time to drive back home to check on the internet how to adjust the headlights. Driving like that for just a few minutes made me feel like hiding because I was lighting up people's heads in their cars. Let me know what they do because I don't know if I should be adjusting these things or not.
      06-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I had to take the time to drive back home to check on the internet how to adjust the headlights. Driving like that for just a few minutes made me feel like hiding because I was lighting up people's heads in their cars. Let me know what they do because I don't know if I should be adjusting these things or not.
sure thing badfish. i feel the same way as you too. i rarely drive in the dark now because of the headlights. but i am scheduled to fix it this thursday.

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
After I got my car back from Spocom, the headlights are shining very high. High as the high beams. So last night, I cranked the adjustment down about 8 full cranks and it's still high but better. From what I understand, the headlights will auto-level according to sensors somewhere. I'm almost positive that the car didn't get messed with during the show but the amount that I have to adjust the headlights seems ridiculous.

The car has been lowered for quite some time without any issues with the headlights at all. Then all of a sudden, it's way, way off.

Anyone know what the deal is? Is the level adjuster infinitely variable? I'm worried that if I keep cranking it down, I will have no adjustment left for later. I'm getting close to taking this into the dealer...
On the E46 there was a link (left front, I think) that connects to the suspesnion. You need to make sure this is intact.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
On the E46 there was a link (left front, I think) that connects to the suspesnion. You need to make sure this is intact.
Greg, thanks. I found a link to the sensor you are talking about here.

I am really suspecting foul play on my car now while it was at the show. My car came back with the headlights acting this way and then I got a low tire pressure alert so I filled it up last night. I just went out to look for this sensor and decided to check on the pressure. Well, the tire had zero pressure in it so I filled it up using the M3 compressor. After I filled it up, I mixed a soapy solution in a spray bottle. Started out spraying the tire to see if I could find the leak but decided to check the valve stem on the TPMS. Boom, found a big leak around the seal. I took an 11 mm socket to tighten it back up to the point where the bubbles stopped coming out.

Bear in mind that my car has been fine and suddenly these 2 issues come right after the show. Car was lowered weeks ago. Last time the tires were put on the wheel was also several weeks ago. I had to leave the car at the show overnight and who knows what could have happened that 1st day.
      06-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Greg, thanks. I found a link to the sensor you are talking about here.

I am really suspecting foul play on my car now while it was at the show. My car came back with the headlights acting this way and then I got a low tire pressure alert so I filled it up last night. I just went out to look for this sensor and decided to check on the pressure. Well, the tire had zero pressure in it so I filled it up using the M3 compressor. After I filled it up, I mixed a soapy solution in a spray bottle. Started out spraying the tire to see if I could find the leak but decided to check the valve stem on the TPMS. Boom, found a big leak around the seal. I took an 11 mm socket to tighten it back up to the point where the bubbles stopped coming out.

Bear in mind that my car has been fine and suddenly these 2 issues come right after the show. Car was lowered weeks ago. Last time the tires were put on the wheel was also several weeks ago. I had to leave the car at the show overnight and who knows what could have happened that 1st day.
that sucks badfish...hopefully you can get it worked out. thanks to greg and badfish for the leveling sensor tip. i'll keep it in mind in case something goes awry.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Any update on what went wrong ShadeM3? I was able to use the adjustments to bring the headlights down to a normal level, actually slight better than OEM.