BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

04-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 ZCP

Recommendations in Newport, RI

Hello all, I'm taking a road trip with my wife and 3 1/2 year old daughter up to Newport in early June and was wondering on what to see, where to eat and what to do while up there. I searched online and kept getting the same type of activities and wanted to see if this community could recommend something different. We'll be there for 4-5 days and planning on visiting family in Boston one of the days.

Both my wife and I enjoy traveling, not real picky when it comes to food and daughter is a pretty well behaved (compared to other kids her age).

Thanks for all your input in advance!

-Jeff
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

The main attraction in Newport, RI are the mansions and cliff walk. Otherwise you may want to visit Providence, RI for the Roger Williams Zoo, WaterFire (if scheduled) and Federal Hill. The latter is similar to the North End in Boston with Italian restaurants.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
The main attraction in Newport, RI are the mansions and cliff walk. Otherwise you may want to visit Providence, RI for the Roger Williams Zoo, WaterFire (if scheduled) and Federal Hill. The latter is similar to the North End in Boston with Italian restaurants.
Awesome thanks. One thing I did notice when looking for restaurants in both Newport and Providence is the number of Italian spots. Almost every other restaurant was a pizza place/Italian.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
dhuber
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 BS M4

While in Newport some great restaurants include:

Higher End Dinner/Drinks:
Clark Cook House - (jackets required top floor but not on bottom two) - On water
41 North - On water
Thames St Kitchen - BYOB but amazing food - reservations go quick

Other Favorites:
Midtown Oyster Bar - New last year - great menu/decor
Smoke House - BBQ
Diego's - Breakfast (must in my opinion)

Just some suggestions to look at
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuber View Post
While in Newport some great restaurants include:

Higher End Dinner/Drinks:
Clark Cook House - (jackets required top floor but not on bottom two) - On water
41 North - On water
Thames St Kitchen - BYOB but amazing food - reservations go quick

Other Favorites:
Midtown Oyster Bar - New last year - great menu/decor
Smoke House - BBQ
Diego's - Breakfast (must in my opinion)

Just some suggestions to look at
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, definitely appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
A lot of enjoyable places to go... not sure where you are staying but note the following:

Cliff Walk- free... and a great view and walk along the cliffs overlooking the water behind the mansions

The Breakers: the most historic megapalace mansion ever !

Red Parrot Restaurant in town: touristy but a huge menu and if taking the lil one, you will love it. Great food and drink. Nice place.

Gas Lampe Grill: somewhat simple eats but in the downtown area too and fair priced. Decent bar.

The Atlantic Beach Club and Pavilion at the beach: has outdoor music, drinks, and "beach food" with tables and....

The Pier Restaurant: Great lobstah rolls!

probably cannot go wrong really... plus all the typical places too... Starbucks, DD, 7-11 etc.

For your daughter: Cupcake Charlies.... more sweets and cupcakes than I have ever seen!
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LRM3 View Post
A lot of enjoyable places to go... not sure where you are staying but note the following:

Cliff Walk- free... and a great view and walk along the cliffs overlooking the water behind the mansions

The Breakers: the most historic megapalace mansion ever !

Red Parrot Restaurant in town: touristy but a huge menu and if taking the lil one, you will love it. Great food and drink. Nice place.

Gas Lampe Grill: somewhat simple eats but in the downtown area too and fair priced. Decent bar.

The Atlantic Beach Club and Pavilion at the beach: has outdoor music, drinks, and "beach food" with tables and....

The Pier Restaurant: Great lobstah rolls!

probably cannot go wrong really... plus all the typical places too... Starbucks, DD, 7-11 etc.

For your daughter: Cupcake Charlies.... more sweets and cupcakes than I have ever seen!
I found a great place to stay using AirBnB, the owner of the place said it's a great location 10-15 min walk to most places. I'll have the M with me so driving to places isn't going to be an issue. One of the days we're going to drive to Boston to visit an uncle and go fishing with him on his boat. The other days in Newport will probably start at the beach (daughter has been asking us if she can go to the beach tomorrow for about 2 weeks now).

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1 View Post
I found a great place to stay using AirBnB, the owner of the place said it's a great location 10-15 min walk to most places. I'll have the M with me so driving to places isn't going to be an issue. One of the days we're going to drive to Boston to visit an uncle and go fishing with him on his boat. The other days in Newport will probably start at the beach (daughter has been asking us if she can go to the beach tomorrow for about 2 weeks now).

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it.
Sounds great (Most is in walking distance) and you will have a blast! Wait until you see the harbor and the boats!!! And keep the sand out of the ///M
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great (Most is in walking distance) and you will have a blast! Wait until you see the harbor and the boats!!! And keep the sand out of the ///M
I'm told the beach is only a 1/2 mile walk, I'm trying to keep all sand out if the ///M so if the beach is walkable, we're walking
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
I'm told the beach is only a 1/2 mile walk, I'm trying to keep all sand out if the ///M so if the beach is walkable, we're walking
That's the way to do it! Don't be surprised if they hit you up at the hotel for parking though... it is pretty common- I have paid around $20. While tacky, it beats paying for parking at the beach or in town. (you could rent bikes). I think you will be very close to the ABC place I mentioned. If so, you are also near FLO's Clamshack... cool place for eats too!
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
M3-TravelGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

If you're planning on going to the beach you might want to do a drive by first. First Beach (Easton's) sometimes has red seaweed all over the beach making it unswimmable. If that's the case you can go to Second beach down the road. It's usually a better bet to be seaweed free.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the way to do it! Don't be surprised if they hit you up at the hotel for parking though... it is pretty common- I have paid around $20. While tacky, it beats paying for parking at the beach or in town. (you could rent bikes). I think you will be very close to the ABC place I mentioned. If so, you are also near FLO's Clamshack... cool place for eats too!
Thanks for the tip! Adding FLO's Clamshack to the list!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemishja View Post
If you're planning on going to the beach you might want to do a drive by first. First Beach (Easton's) sometimes has red seaweed all over the beach making it unswimmable. If that's the case you can go to Second beach down the road. It's usually a better bet to be seaweed free.
I believe the accommodation were staying at is 1/2 mile from first beach, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully no red seaweed on the beach.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
it's rhode island, everything is close and bring your ez-pass to avoid the toll booths.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
it's rhode island, everything is close and bring your ez-pass to avoid the toll booths.
EZ Pass is in the glove box ready to go
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #16
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Been keeping an eye on the forecast for the New England area the past couple days. I know it's still just over a week away but next week looks mild up there. So far mid 60s and dry, I'm hoping for about 10-15 more degrees so I can take my daughter out on the beach for an afternoon, she's been asking almost daily when we're going to the beach lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any cars & coffee or meets coming up in the next week or so?
Appreciate 0