BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Need Help re: Dropping E92 w/ EDC

I have read so many threads on different springs and their effects on handling and EDC, but still confused about what decision I should make.

My situation:
1. E92 M3 leased for 2 more years. (approx. = 22.5k miles left.)
2. Would like a nice drop for the remaining time.
3. I have EDC and do not want to deal with the headache of the "possibility" that the shocks could get damaged/fail.

What I have considered:
1. Dinan springs: drop not enough for my taste.
2. Eibach springs: I hear they are made with EDC in mind. Drop is fine. Still worried my EDC/shocks will be a problem.
2. Coilovers: KW v3 w/ EDC module. It’s expensive, but I wouldn't mind if it would give me peace of mind and/or some sort of guarantee (I know nothing is 100%) that my EDC/shocks will not give me a problem for the remainder of my lease.

My questions:
1. Are coilovers a solid alternative to the EDC/shock damage/wear?
2. Are they essentially a full suspension replacement in the sense that I won’t likely damage anything else on the car since the springs and shocks are both replaced and meant to work together?

Much appreciated guys. Thank you for your help in advance. Feel free to give other suggestions as well as your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Coilovers wont damage anything, they replace the shocks.
If you don't track the car often, its a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Sport springs H & R

I had the same dilemma as you re EDC. I have always used coilovers and could not fit bilstein as they do not make a edc compatible kit, and haven't heard great reviews re KW kit.

I fitted H & R sport springs and they are really impressive. They handle really well, they drop perfecty (25mm front an 15mm rear) and they are also not as hard as I expected. in fact the ride is really comfortable. I run 20 inch HREs and it's a great set up. Check out pics in my profile for visuals of the drop.

I figure H & R wouldn't make a product that would damage your standard shocks and EDC setup
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

There is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to mods. Just get whatever fits your application best which in my opinion would be just springs. Make sure you get it installed by good installer and you should be fine for the remainder of your lease.
      11-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Since your car is leased, I really doubt there will be any shock damage within the two years you have left.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Tyler McQuarrie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

KWv3!!!!! Best option
      11-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

KW v3 will not damage your EDC since you will have to remove the EDC shocks. At the end of your lease you would have to pay to have EDC re-installed. The theory of springs ruining your shocks is a myth based in reality. People used to put race springs on VW's and like with fairly inexpensive stock shocks and they would wear out after a few years. The springs available now are very similar to stock in terms of spring rates and so damage to your shocks is very unlikely unless there is some sort of manufacturer defect. The problem is that the dealer will not cover that defect if you have aftermarket springs. That is the real risk.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

To be honest, if you are not going on the track/autocross, there is absolutely no point to get a coilover kit. They run at least $2k, plus install (and uninstall when your lease is up) $1k, alignment $200, and potentially additional problems, so you are looking at a lot of investment.

If you want to play it safe, get Dinan, they provide warranty if your EDC fails. If you want more drop, get Eibach, they don't offer warranty but many members have them and probably have accumulated hundreds of thousands of miles in total driving distance.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

is the EDC still functional with after market springs?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

^yes, or at least with most
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
To be honest, if you are not going on the track/autocross, there is absolutely no point to get a coilover kit. They run at least $2k, plus install (and uninstall when your lease is up) $1k, alignment $200, and potentially additional problems, so you are looking at a lot of investment.

If you want to play it safe, get Dinan, they provide warranty if your EDC fails. If you want more drop, get Eibach, they don't offer warranty but many members have them and probably have accumulated hundreds of thousands of miles in total driving distance.

GL!
I agree I did Dinan since its warranty complied with my factory one and gave me piece of mine. My car is not leased so I have a slightly different perspective. But why pay all the money for KW coilovers that you'll have to pay to get removed in less than 24months? Also if you damage your EDC system there's an added cost there. I'd say for a leased car its not worth the $$ investment..just for looks if you don't track or autocross the car. But its your money and sounds like IF Dinan wasn't enough drop for you then Eibach is your next best bet.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0