BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-16-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Test drove an F80 today...

Hi all,

First I know I could have posted this on the F80 forum, but I want the opinion of E9x owners who have looked at F80 as a possible replacement. I test drove an F80 today and I’m a little puzzled... I looked at an f80 last week and thought the interior felt cheap, but tried again today, and again I’m puzzled as to why I feel like the interior feels cheap compared to my E90. I looked at M2 and M4 as well, and they felt the same! I closed the hood on the M2 and it felt/sounded like a cheap Japanese car, and it was a brand new M2.

The F80 I test drove was a 2015 (competition, supposedly), but still pretty much identical to the new one, and I wasn’t impressed by the drive either. The DCT was the real reason I was testing it (to see if I wanted to go to DCT from my current manual), and that wasn’t bad, but maybe it was because this car had 45Kmiles on it, and maybe had been beat to death that the handling felt off. It looked clean enough though.

I’ve seen comparisons in other threads, mostly talking about performance or preference, but I’ve seen reviews saying the F80 is more luxury than the E90, though I don’t see it! Maybe mine was spec’d up, and those on the dealer forecourts are spec’d down?

Anyone else feel like quality has fallen to increase profits (or mass sell more), or was it just a spec mismatch. The E90 I have now is my first BMW (as I was never really interested in BMW’s before but eventually had to try the M3!) so maybe I just got one that had a higher spec than normal and the ones I saw at the dealer are average?

Just trying to do a sanity check...

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

So this thread is asking E90 owners what they think of F80 interior quality? You will struggle to get un biased opinions as there are fanboys on here who think the E9x is the second coming.

There is a lot to fault the direction of BMW at the moment, but I don't think quality is declining. The F30 / F80 BMW's I've sat in felt like high quality items. Never driven an f8x so can't comment on the handling, would love to drive one though.

Last edited by Montaver; 06-16-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
The F80 I test drove was a 2015 (competition, supposedly)...
ZCP not available until 2016 models, FYI
Appreciate 1
IB M2782.00
      06-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I don't drive my E90 every day, but I do drive it probably about 40% of the time. I do find myself wishing for a little more comfort and creature features.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind replacing mine with an F80 for more daily usability. For a driver's car, I'm glued to the E90. But currently, my E90 is my driver's car to unwind on a crap day at work. If we weren't saving for a variety of things right now, I'd feel confident that I'd be driving an F80 each day and have something else alongside for the "driver's car."

I think it all boils down to how you want to use the car. Toy = E9x. DD = Something newer (F80?)
Appreciate 1
IB M2782.00
      06-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
So this thread is asking E90 owners what they think of F80 interior quality? You will struggle to get un biased opinions as there are fanboys on here who think the E9x is the second coming.

There is a lot to fault the direction of BMW at the moment, but I don't think quality is declining. The F30 / F80 BMW's I've sat in felt like high quality items. Never driven an f8x so can't comment on the handling, would love to drive one though.
This is just inaccurate . I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about the quality of the F80. They talk about the driving experience and how it doesn't compare to the E9X.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

I've owned both, there is no way the F80 is lower quality compared to the E90. Actually one of the reasons why I miss my F80 is because its a significantly nicer car, and feels more luxurious. F80 is also way way more reliable with less shit that breaks.

There are a few things that will feel different like the sound the doors make, or even the tactile feel of the door handles, but I don't buy into the cliches like "sounds like a bank vault" or "feels solid". The E90 feels a little more solid in certain ways but so what?

BMW did cut a few corners with certain non critical components of the F80 (cheap plastics here and there), but that is different than saying its lower quality overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

I looked at and drove a few F80s before pulling the trigger on my E90. I noticed nearly no difference in quality of materials or build between the two. The driving experience was the deciding factor for me and was profoundly in favor of the E90, including on the track since I got the opportunity to test them both in those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
F80 is also way way more reliable with less shit that breaks.
Can you share more on this?
      06-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Your E90 is the same E90 as every other one made. Same as the E92 and E93 also. I have sat in 50 M3's and there is no difference between them. I just sat in an F series competition car last week and looked at a non comp car. I would kill to have their interiors and seats with the perforated holes in them for cooling. Overall I felt the quality was exceptional and the look was way updated from our E9X cars. You are the first person I have seen make comments like this. I respect your opinion/comments but I just didn't see it the same way.
Appreciate 4
      06-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

I felt the same way about the f8x models, although I wouldn't mind owning a F80 along with my e92 one day..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Interior is fine. The exterior looks like shit, sounds like a lawnmower, and has a numb steering. Otherwise a great buy!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Can you share more on this?
I would say the F80 is just a more reliable car. They started selling F80's in June of 2014, so they've been on the road for 4 yrs now.

There are very few weak spots with the F80. They are actually pretty dead reliable. One possible weak spot is crank hubs, but I think thats even less of an issue than the RB's on the E90.

E90 has way more notable issues including throttle actuators, valve cover gaskets, thermostats, coils, weak evaporators etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #13
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I would say the F80 is just a more reliable car. They started selling F80's in June of 2014, so they've been on the road for 4 yrs now.

There are very few weak spots with the F80. They are actually pretty dead reliable. One possible weak spot is crank hubs, but I think thats even less of an issue than the RB's on the E90.

E90 has way more notable issues including throttle actuators, valve cover gaskets, thermostats, coils, weak evaporators etc...
It should be more reliable because there is nothing special about that engine. it's a straight 6 with a turbo. If you can't get right then there is really a problem. Compared to 4 liter V8 revving to 8500RPM.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #14
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Get one with a manual and speed cloth seats, sedan, with the carbon roof option. This is the only way I'd ever buy an F80.
      06-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #15
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
F80 I drove was fantastic quality. Personally like the E9x look over the F8x look. I also could give exactly half of a sh!t about technology in a car. But again, my personal preference.

The one thing that is a real turn off for me is the engine characteristic, especially the sound (lets not talk about the fake-noise BS). It has all of the power you will ever need but it is just not quite the same as the V8. Faster - yes. Funner - no.

I do know if I owned one I would go through a lot of rear tires...

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
F80 I drove was fantastic quality. Personally like the E9x look over the F8x look. I also could give exactly half of a sh!t about technology in a car. But again, my personal preference.

The one thing that is a real turn off for me is the engine characteristic, especially the sound (lets not talk about the fake-noise BS). It has all of the power you will ever need but it is just not quite the same as the V8. Faster - yes. Funner - no.

I disagree with the looks. The F8X looks amazing. It would have been perfect if the F8X had the V8.
Appreciate 1
IB M2782.00
      06-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #17
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Longtime E9x owner here, seriously considered F80 at one time...
F80 interior quality feels lower due to the quality of plastic used over dash, door cards and part of center console, these bits in E90 are made of plastic with a softer/more rubberized feel to them.
F80 interior design is better, E90 interior design while absolutely functional might appear dated to some.
F80 doors are aluminum compared to E90 steel, aluminum is lighter but door closing sound/feel is not as solid feeling.
F80 probably is more reliable...
F80 has better performance numbers... as any later gen car must!
Driving feel is a very subjective matter though!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #18
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post

I disagree with the looks. The F8X looks amazing. It would have been perfect if the F8X had the V8.
What part looks amazing? I'm seriously curious and not looking to start a fight?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #19
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all for the comments! The two points below by BimmerMan probably encompasses my original feelings. I'd add that I didn't like the steering wheel feel either (not sure what other options BMW have from factory tho, so maybe it was just the way that one was spec'd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
F80 interior quality feels lower due to the quality of plastic used over dash, door cards and part of center console, these bits in E90 are made of plastic with a softer/more rubberized feel to them.
F80 doors are aluminum compared to E90 steel, aluminum is lighter but door closing sound/feel is not as solid feeling.
However, I think I might get a 2018 Audi TTRS with Dynamic Plus. I had an original MK1 Audi TT 225 back in 2001 (only a couple years after they were released), and the 2018 TTRS is night & day different, especially in the performance department. The new one has:

- Torque vectoring
- 100% RWD bias capability (old one could only do 50% max)
- Dynamic Plus comes with carbon ceramic front brakes
- Dynamic Plus also comes with RS fixed dampers (deleting the magnetic ride for a more track focused feel)
- 400HP turbocharged inline-5 with their DSG (S-tronic) 7-speed box
- tested 0-60 time of 3.6s, top speed of 174MPH+ (both quicker than the M2/3/4)

I test drove one today and liked it. Not sure I love the virtual cockpit that also handles all infotainment (i.e. no central screen at all so a passenger can't even change the radio station or satnav since they can't see the screen - this is what I didn't like when I tested the R8 too). However, since 99% of the time I will be alone in this particular car (daily driver to work, along with occasional track duty), that doesn't really matter. Overall it did feel like a "baby R8" since the performance is so much higher now, and since it has rear seats that can handle children occasionally, it's definitely the front runner!

Seems that it will be comparable with a well-spec'd M3 at around $80K to get in to one, though dealers aren't doing much discounting of these (dealer today offered a "courtesy" $500 off, lol).

I'll likely be keeping my existing E90 M3 too though since I've put so much work in to it!

Thanks again all!

S.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #20
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

While I don't think quality has declined from E9x to F8x M3/M4s, especially the interior is getting further and further behind from what Audi is offering.

I lately had the chance to compare my manager's G30 to a current A6. Don't want to say "night-and-day", but there is for a sure a difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

NO ZCP in 15 as someone else stated.

Without “full leather” meaning leather dash etc the F8x is just ok. With full leather the interior is definitely a step above the e9x.

I do prefer the seats in the e9x but thats comfort not looks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
NO ZCP in 15 as someone else stated.

Without “full leather” meaning leather dash etc the F8x is just ok. With full leather the interior is definitely a step above the e9x.

I do prefer the seats in the e9x but thats comfort not looks.
Ahh, okay, I didn't see the post that said no ZCP in '15.. The guy who took me for a test drive was obviously an idiot then as he specifically told me (as I asked) that it was a competition model. Still, at this point, even the ZCP isn't quite as quick as the TTRS.

As for the leather, yeah - I was thinking maybe it's an option thing. Saying that though, the basic interiors on the Audi's definitely seemed better than the basic on the BMW's (assuming all the M's I saw were basic). The TTRS's I looked at typically had a slight upgrade on the interior, but under $1000 in interior options so not too crazy.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0