BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

NA ECU Tune for the track, durability

I know there are a ton of threads on the "Engine" subforum regarding ECU tune, but I want to know from the track guys if you are running an ECU tune and which one you are running. How does it perform on the track. Temps, heat, etc. I would be running on 91 oct.

I am just looking for something that is
1. Safe - dont want to blow anything (again)
2. Reliable (able to push and beat it without a hickup)
3. Drivability (would like to retain the stock throttle mapping)
4. Power

I do understand people get very defensive regarding their tunes but your feedback is appreciated.
      02-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have been pondering the same thing for a while now. not sure if you care or not, but staying carb legal is a huge thing for me. i don't want to have to jump through hoops every two years to smog my car.
i was thinking about going with a dinan tune (very conservative) and maybe a dinan pulley for a little more power and calling it good.
been also thinking about a pulley, but that is another subject.
      02-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
running evolve stage 2 (no cats) but drove on the street before track only conversion. very reliable and driveable. really smoothed every thing out and added some power how much not sure due to the no cats, which add power with or with out a tune.
      02-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I have:

BPM Stage 2 Tune
- RPM raised to 8600 RPM
- speed delimiter removed
- cold start removed
- cold RPM protection added
- Servotronic tune
BPM DCT tune
Macht-Schnell Pulleys & Intake
Full Akrapovic Evolution

I've had all these changes since at least August, and they've been running fine through about 18 track days, without any issue. I don't baby the car either when street driving - I hit the limiter every time I go out.

I've had some wear and tear on my engine that is unrelated:
* Engine coolant temperature sensor has died twice (vibration related probably due to tracking, have a TSB on it, going to get this replaced properly on wednesday)
* Valvetrain tensioner broke
* Valve cover gasket leak (seeping, really, not a full blown leak) - getting this fixed too.

Most of these is explained by the 121k miles I have on the car.

I have only overheated once at Buttonwillow, and this was in 105 degree temperatures in a car that didn't have the central undertray - it had been ripped off in an off-track excursion I had at streets of willow a week or so prior. Car went into a minor limp mode, where my max RPMs backed down to about 5000 RPM for a little while. Once I got the undertray replaced, no further issues.

I don't have any special cooling other than stock radiators.

I've had DCT gear change lag happen only after pushing the car hard in extended sessions. It's happened infrequently though, it's not a consistent thing.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I have:

BPM Stage 2 Tune
- RPM raised to 8600 RPM
- speed delimiter removed
- cold start removed
- cold RPM protection added
- Servotronic tune
BPM DCT tune
Macht-Schnell Pulleys & Intake
Full Akrapovic Evolution

I've had all these changes since at least August, and they've been running fine through about 18 track days, without any issue. I don't baby the car either when street driving - I hit the limiter every time I go out.

I've had some wear and tear on my engine that is unrelated:
* Engine coolant temperature sensor has died twice (vibration related probably due to tracking, have a TSB on it, going to get this replaced properly on wednesday)
* Valvetrain tensioner broke
* Valve cover gasket leak (seeping, really, not a full blown leak) - getting this fixed too.

Most of these is explained by the 121k miles I have on the car.

I have only overheated once at Buttonwillow, and this was in 105 degree temperatures in a car that didn't have the central undertray - it had been ripped off in an off-track excursion I had at streets of willow a week or so prior. Car went into a minor limp mode, where my max RPMs backed down to about 5000 RPM for a little while. Once I got the undertray replaced, no further issues.

I don't have any special cooling other than stock radiators.

I've had DCT gear change lag happen only after pushing the car hard in extended sessions. It's happened infrequently though, it's not a consistent thing.
you probably have the hardest driven, highest mileage m3 out there.
      02-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
running evolve stage 2 (no cats) but drove on the street before track only conversion. very reliable and driveable. really smoothed every thing out and added some power how much not sure due to the no cats, which add power with or with out a tune.
ditto. definitely reliable though.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Would love to get to 80+ track days on the same set of rod bearings
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Can't say enough about the evolve tune. Very happy with it. Lots of mountain trips with quickly changing temps and elevations. Never a hiccup. Can't say I noticed a huge power gain but it did seem more responsive and smooth.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
elim11
Major
Rep

Thanks for all your responses. I know RP puts his car thru its paces and drives it like its intended!

Only reason I'm considering a tune is because I had a little weekend project which involved some kitty cats and now I'm getting the CEL. I've gotten use to it and it's not that annoying but thought it might be an opportunity to improve something.

Anyone have experience with the Gintani tune on the track? I ask because I have a tune from them I have yet to redeem. I'm all for testing it out but given my luck I rather hear some testimonials before I try.
      02-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Have both ESS and BPM tune, and I prefer the latter. While both conservative tunes (I have logged timing, A/F, VANOS, etc on both), the BPM tune runs smoother day to day (at cold starts) and the servo-tronic settings are superior (feels much more naturally weighted and varies with speed). The servo alone is a must have for the track. Cool tricks such as cold start rev-limit protection (limits revs to 4000 rpm until oil temp is ~172 and MT "launch control" are differentiating features not offered by competitors. Been really satisfied with it and temps, heat, doesn't really run that much hotter (maybe a few degrees) and it's the same with the ESS tune.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Would love to get to 80+ track days on the same set of rod bearings
I have that. Probably 100 days.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

My E92 is still stock, but my E46M has the ESS NA tune. The car has 167k miles and has been double-tracked for three seasons at over 30 car days a year
By double tracked I mean my brother runs in red or black run group, then comes in and I go out in black or white.

I guess everyone has a 'favorite' tune out there, but ESS is the only company that has multiple E92s out there with 800hp which actually function on a stock ECU, so in my mind they will always be the company with the best understanding of stock BMW ECUs

The day the E92 is out of warranty it will get a ESS tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Previously had an AA tune and switched to BPM 2+ years ago. The biggest differences between the two are BPM has improved mid-range (torque) response and overall driveability. I also agree with comments made by other BPM owners.

Another tune to consider is Epic. They've tuned quite a few e9x racecars and dedicated track cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #14
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
I have that. Probably 100 days.
I'd guess I'm there too. But I'm in need of new bearings :/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11
Thanks for all your responses. I know RP puts his car thru its paces and drives it like its intended!

Only reason I'm considering a tune is because I had a little weekend project which involved some kitty cats and now I'm getting the CEL. I've gotten use to it and it's not that annoying but thought it might be an opportunity to improve something.

Anyone have experience with the Gintani tune on the track? I ask because I have a tune from them I have yet to redeem. I'm all for testing it out but given my luck I rather hear some testimonials before I try.
I got an o2 sensor tune which just kills the cel from Alex at alpine after removing cats.$150. Cheap. Done. More power from removing cats.
      03-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I got an o2 sensor tune which just kills the cel from Alex at alpine after removing cats.$150. Cheap. Done. More power from removing cats.
But will it pass emissions?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #17
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
But will it pass emissions?
I can get it to pass emissions if that's what you're asking lol. And that's not until 2017.
      03-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #18
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Can anyone comment on the $450 tune from Alex@Alpine?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #19
elim11
Major
Rep

Just an update,
I went ahead with the Gintani Tune. The asian in me couldn't justify paying for a different tune when I have yet to redeem the Gintani.

Alex was friendly and helpful as usual. He is a master and knocked it out in what seemed like 10 mins.

I have not logged any track driving yet, however on the streets, the tune seems smooth. It just adds a little more power everywhere. Nothing like OMG, but it is noticeable. I also got the Servotronic tune. Normal feels like OEM/ stock sport mode. When I set it to Servotronic sport, it gets real heavy. I'm not sure if i like it on sport mode yet..need some track driving to determine.

One other feature I got is the exhaust overrun. It activates when you let off the gas at 5k+ rpm. It is pretty hilarious at first and sounds like gunshots going off. It made my drive thru downtown during lunch rush hour pretty entertaining. Only concern is when track driving, I'm always >5kRPM. Which would mean it would constantly backfire when I let off the gas. Alex said its not harmful and there shouldn't be any issues but I want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
      03-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Gintani?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Can anyone comment on the $450 tune from Alex@Alpine?
I've been running to for 10k+ miles without issue. Got it done right after cat delete so I cant comment on power from the tune alone, but the midrange felt much stronger after test pipes + tune. Had him do the servotronic tweaks and cold start delete though which are both awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Gintani?
Different Alex.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #22
elim11
Major
Rep

Just an update, headed over to EAS this morning with roastbeef to get some dyno runs in. Made 390whp and 291wtq on 91 octane Costco gas. Pretty consistent on all 3 runs. Testpipes + AE Exhaust + Gintani Tune. Talked to Steve at EAS and he said AFR is in safe territory, and car is running strong. At the end of the vid you can see some of the exhaust overrun burble.

Can't wait to test it out on the track. NT01 mounted today as well.