BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Djetaine
Private
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci, 08 e93m3

MOST Fiber bundle connector in door - how to get open?

Does anyone know how to disassamble this connector?
I'm trying to diagnose a MOST loop break and as far as I know, this is the last connection before it goes to the diag port under the dash. I need to get it apart and see if there is light passing through.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

thats probably the last one i would be messing with, its just a junction of all most cables, so unless you know which fiber optic cable is which. i think its easier to go to each individual module one at a time....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Djetaine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
thats probably the last one i would be messing with, its just a junction of all most cables, so unless you know which fiber optic cable is which. i think its easier to go to each individual module one at a time....
I have checked each module (at least all the modules I know of in the loop)
As far as I can tell it goes:
HeadUnit > Amp > TCU > SAT > HD Tuner > Junction > Diag > Head Unit

I have tested all of those except the headunit as I can't really get to it easily.
I do know which cable since they are labeled. I know that the return cable coming from the HD Tuner is labeled 293 and is on pin 5 of that junction.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Djetaine
Private
Rep

Well, I got it apart this morning and there is indeed light passing through the 293 cable so it's somewhere after the junction.
I don't know the exact path it goes after that though. looks like I have some dismantling to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Each connector has a TX & RX. The junction you found is where this happens. The TX of one module goes to RX of the next thus creating a comm loop. That being said you could remove one at a time and place a flashlight at one end and through testing each one you can find the issue by seeing the light and ruling out a wire at a time. Also there is a plug under the steering column. It's for hooking an icom to talk to car. The plug looks like a flat square and when you pull it down you will see a termination loop. Maybe that term loop is not plugged in correctly creating an open.