BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
edsonreds
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

2011 E92 M3 Stalls at start in the morning

Hi guys. I've been looking everywhere how to diagnose my problem. Some thoughts will be deeply appreciated.

First. My car: 2011 BMW E92 M3 with 30k miles. About a year ago I had a battery service (replacement).

Problem: Every morning since last month, I started the car and the RPMs went a little bit crazy (unstable idling), after less than a minute it normalized above 1k RPM.

Yesterday my problem got worse. At start, the car stalled after a first high revving surge. It did not idle. I tried a second time. The idling was a little bit unstable but normalized.

Today I tried something different. I got into the car and pressed the ignition button (without the foot on the brake). Afterwards, I started normally the car without sudden spikes at idling.

My best guess: At first I thought that the fuel pump was not holding pressure overnight. I normally turn off the car at 8pm and start it a 8am the following day. I drive it twice a week.

I wonder if it has something to do with the battery not holding charge. But I my stealer(ship) just replaced the battery less than a year ago? Could it be the fuel pump? But starting the car without my foot on the brake at first seemed to solve the problem.

I am little bit confused.

Edson.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Idle control valve?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Is this very weird. I’ve seen at least 4 people, including myself, have this exact problem while starting up their cars in the last 2 day. I would suspect it’s related to either your fuel tank breather valve or idle control valve.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

I'm sure the service shop might give you a more exact answer than some randos on a forum.

I hope it's nothing too serious, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
You need to have it diagnosed by a professional with the proper software. Total waste of time to guess at all the possible causes. Stored fault codes are necessary to troubleshoot.

Normally the car won't start unless you hold the brake. Sounds like yours is coded to allow it. Nevertheless holding the brake shouldn't have any effect to the way the engine runs unless you have a vacuum supply or leak issue. If fault codes are related to vacuum supply then you know where to start.

If the fuel system is losing pressure overnight it would result in a long crank before starting, not really a start followed by a stumble and stall. Again, software is required to verify fuel pressures.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
You need to have it diagnosed by a professional with the proper software. Total waste of time to guess at all the possible causes. Stored fault codes are necessary to troubleshoot.

Normally the car won't start unless you hold the brake. Sounds like yours is coded to allow it. Nevertheless holding the brake shouldn't have any effect to the way the engine runs unless you have a vacuum supply or leak issue. If fault codes are related to vacuum supply then you know where to start.

If the fuel system is losing pressure overnight it would result in a long crank before starting, not really a start followed by a stumble and stall. Again, software is required to verify fuel pressures.
I had to read it a couple of times, but I think what he's trying to say is he left his foot off the brake to turn on the ignition (terminal 30) and let it sit for a second before foot on brake and pressing start for the engine.

I have to agree though, see if any codes are stored first. If not, I would suspect something in the cold start routine (unplugged / broken secondary air line connector) or a stuck open tank vent valve as mentioned (quite common actually).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
I had to read it a couple of times, but I think what he's trying to say is he left his foot off the brake to turn on the ignition (terminal 30) and let it sit for a second before foot on brake and pressing start for the engine.

I have to agree though, see if any codes are stored first. If not, I would suspect something in the cold start routine (unplugged / broken secondary air line connector) or a stuck open tank vent valve as mentioned (quite common actually).
Hi guys! Thanks for your thoughts. I will certainly take my car to the mechanic.

Weird thing is that I don't have faulty codes at all, and the problem disappears after the first start.

But I agree that a certified inspection should give me readings on fuel pressure. Just wanted to get an educated guess before going to the mechanic.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonreds View Post
Hi guys! Thanks for your thoughts. I will certainly take my car to the mechanic.

Weird thing is that I don't have faulty codes at all, and the problem disappears after the first start.

But I agree that a certified inspection should give me readings on fuel pressure. Just wanted to get an educated guess before going to the mechanic.

Thanks!
Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
Keep us posted!
Will do!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Keep us posted!
Will do!
UPDATE: Hi guys. Just to let you know. Since I did not get error codes I checked the battery voltage using a multimeter. I was shocked when I found that the voltage was 10v when the car was turned off. With the alternator working the voltage increased to 14.4v.

I made some researched and found out that it is commont that the battery will not fully recharge if the car is not driven frequently, which is entirely my case. I drive it just 2 days a week for about 2hrs each time, which is not enough to completely recharge the battery through the alternator.

I purchased a smart battery and fully charged it in 24hrs. After doing this, problem solved. My best guess is that at coldstart the battery was not sufficiently charged to cope with the power needed for initializing all the components (including fuel pump).

I will continue testing in the following weeks, but just wanted to let know everyone that kindfully answered my post.

Regards!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
RC Post
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

I drive my car every day and I'm having the exact same problem as you. Happens at random too but always mornings/cold starts...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Post View Post
I drive my car every day and I'm having the exact same problem as you. Happens at random too but always mornings/cold starts...
Quote:

have you discarded it is a battery issue? there is a hidden menu to see the voltage when the car if turned off.

try this: put your key fob in the car. press te start button without you foot on the brake. you should hear all electrical sounds starting to work and the RPM outer ring (yellow and red round stripe) to go clockwise. wait 1 minute and the start the car.

for me, doing that was a signal of a battery issue because the problem disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
M3Comet
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92,328 F30,X5 3.0 G05

Quote:
Figure out what it was?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
M3Comet
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Is this very weird. I’ve seen at least 4 people, including myself, have this exact problem while starting up their cars in the last 2 day. I would suspect it’s related to either your fuel tank breather valve or idle control valve.
Did you figure out what it was?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
M3Comet
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Keep us posted!
Will do!
UPDATE: Hi guys. Just to let you know. Since I did not get error codes I checked the battery voltage using a multimeter. I was shocked when I found that the voltage was 10v when the car was turned off. With the alternator working the voltage increased to 14.4v.

I made some researched and found out that it is commont that the battery will not fully recharge if the car is not driven frequently, which is entirely my case. I drive it just 2 days a week for about 2hrs each time, which is not enough to completely recharge the battery through the alternator.

I purchased a smart battery and fully charged it in 24hrs. After doing this, problem solved. My best guess is that at coldstart the battery was not sufficiently charged to cope with the power needed for initializing all the components (including fuel pump).

I will continue testing in the following weeks, but just wanted to let know everyone that kindfully answered my post.

Regards!
How has it been as a long term fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Comet View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Keep us posted!
Will do!

Regards!
How has it been as a long term fix?
Hi, so far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

I had this issue at one point, but it was after rod bearing failure where the vehicle would only be started once every month or two for a minute at a time and the battery was getting low. Doubt mine was related to whatever this is, but I've read quite a few posts like this.
      09-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #18
M3Comet
Australia
Rep

Sort of a fix for this staring issue.

Hi everyone, I drive my 2013 once or twice per fortnight, I tried the battery charger option with no results.
I then tried the ignition only (not the engine) technique for one minute prior to starting the engine. If it's been a few days, no issues, I started it yesterday for the first time in 14 days, a little burble or two, but stabilised almost straight away. Not a perfect fix, but enough for me.
Maybe a capacitor/battery within the ignition/computer module?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #19
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi everyone, I drive my 2013 once or twice per fortnight, I tried the battery charger option with no results.
I then tried the ignition only (not the engine) technique for one minute prior to starting the engine. If it's been a few days, no issues, I started it yesterday for the first time in 14 days, a little burble or two, but stabilised almost straight away. Not a perfect fix, but enough for me.
Hi. In my case the technique solved the problem of stalls. But, this is still bugging me. I will perform a battery test to check SoC and SoH, to discard a battery issue. Keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Hi. In my case the technique solved the problem of stalls. But, this is still bugging me. I will perform a battery test to check SoC and SoH, to discard a battery issue. Keep you posted.
Seems like driving twice a week for two hours would keep the battery healthy?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #21
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Seems like driving twice a week for two hours would keep the battery healthy?
Is that sarcasm? Yeah, you are right. But, it doesnt solve the problem to the ones already suffering from it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
edsonreds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi, justo to give an update. I changed my battery and registered using INPA. It works like a charm.
Appreciate 0