BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #67
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
what about the rear? < 1cm of increase? so basically these will result in the same ride height as a ZCP car with the stock ZCP springs with no camber plates?
I didn't notice a difference in height for the rear.

I'll take some pics after the weather gets better.
      09-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #68
Brians
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Frz Drk Grey

This is really interesting. I didn't think there was a fitment for the ZCP setup, but ashtaron14 seems to be happy. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Or adding the TC Kline sleeves as FogCityM3 suggested. Have any of our sponsors who sell this product had success with a ZCP car? If so, what is the best way to go about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #69
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians View Post
This is really interesting. I didn't think there was a fitment for the ZCP setup, but ashtaron14 seems to be happy. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Or adding the TC Kline sleeves as FogCityM3 suggested. Have any of our sponsors who sell this product had success with a ZCP car? If so, what is the best way to go about it.
Cant do sleeves as the perches are fixed unlike the stock shocks. Throw in quality springs like Eibach and call it a day! Its that simple.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #70
Brians
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Cant do sleeves as the perches are fixed unlike the stock shocks. Throw in quality springs like Eibach and call it a day! Its that simple.

Lutfy
Not sure I understand what you mean here. Here are the questions i have regarding this post:

1. With Eibach's, do you suggest doing this job here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423572

2. Do you recommend Eibach's along with the Bilstein EDC setup, or just the Eibach's?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #71
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean here. Here are the questions i have regarding this post:

1. With Eibach's, do you suggest doing this job here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423572

2. Do you recommend Eibach's along with the Bilstein EDC setup, or just the Eibach's?
Eibach and Bilsteins have always worked hand in hand. In fact some of the off the shelf kit Bilstein sells with springs, are actually Eibach.

During my E36 M3 days back in the 90s, I spoke with the tech at Bilsteins and was told that the shocks were actually tuned around the Euro Spec M3 spring rates which were 10-15% stiffer and in line with Eibach rates.

That said, I went with Eibach (only one flavor for our cars, its the black colored springs) yet once again on this car (e90) because the are a tad stiffer than stock rates, then the drop (like most springs in the market) are 1 inch lower in front and 0.6 or whatever at the back. That said, the link above you sent me states the rake gets messed up since front drop lowers on stock struts. HOWEVER, on the Bilsteins which actually raises the car up a little in the front vs rear, my Eibach with these Bilsteins are almost close to factory ZCP drop and rake. Will it be identical, NO. But close enough YES.

My experience is with these shocks/struts and Eibach springs and front only HR bar and -2.5 camber through Ground Control plates.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #72
Brians
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the detail. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #73
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Finally got to take some pics. Mind you I have 235/35 tires in the front, so the gap is a tad bigger.

01-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #74
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

How does suspension travel of these compare to their OE counterparts?
For the E36 and E46, the Bilstein HD replacements have ~7/8'' less suspension travel than stock (or Koni). Wondering if the E90 EDC kit has the same dimensions and travel as stock.
And regardless of ^ this question, can the kit be used in connection with Dinan front and rear mounts for increased travel? Would assume so, but worth checking.

Last edited by wyatth; 01-31-2015 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #75
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
Is the one coming out for the E60 M5 the HD version or sport?
this would be awesome. Even if you lose EDC, it seems like there are no Bilstein shocks for the M5
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #76
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
I wrote a short snippet on another thread but here is a bit of a longer version of my review:

Install:

Fairly easy. Very well developed product with the wiring diagram, connections etc. Truly a plug and play solution. Took me a hell of a time to get these in place but end result was worth it. No EDC failure light and EDC works in all three modes. Installed with GC Camber plates and Eibach Springs. NO ISSUES with the install piece.

Why Eibach? Most Bilstein shocks have been matched to a tad higher rate than stock and they sell Eibachs as a kit. During my E36 M3 years, I spoke with Bilstein and the shocks were designed to mate with stock Euro M3 springs (10-15% higher than US spec) and they recommended Eibach back in the days as well. Perhaps the partnership...

HD vs Sport? The different is the shorter shaft in Sport and has nothing to do with dampening/valving. So no performance benefit except being slammed.

Drive:

Actually MUCH better than stock in comfort mode. There is a built in bump stop inside the front strut (rear shock has its own bump stop) so increased suspension travel. The shaft is MUCH thicker than the stock one altough you are adding a good bit of weight with these steel bodied shocks. Stock shocks are an amazing piece of work to be all aluminum.

I couldnt find that much of a different in normal but under sport the car drives stiffer for sure. Even in bumpy DC streets, the ride is significantly better than stock as I am not hopping. This is also due to the fact these shocks have greater rebound whereas the stock ones lacked that.

Ride Height:

People complain about these sitting higher than stock. Not in my case. The car was measured before and after and is on par with the Eibach drop spec.

Spirited Driving:

I cannot speak to the shocks in isolation but these shocks along with Eibachs and H&R Front bar is just incredible. Very very tolerable on the street with relatively flat in the corners.

Am happy with the outcome. For the money I could have gotten the V3 kit (if you compare retail to retail for the shocks, springs, bar) but I wanted the EDC functionality and did not want to compromise street performance for marginal improvement on track as I a NOT racing or time trailing this.

The feel and overall driving factor has been greatly enhanced.

I did compare it back to back with my friend's ZCP and you can tell this car is both more responsive and more comfortable (again due to increased suspension travel and not bouncing on bump stops).

If you have been considering these, you wont regret it.

Hope this helps.

Lutfy
Lutfy can you help me out please.
Can I just put the Bilstein shocks and leave the stock springs and everything? I am ok with stock ride height just looking for more cushy ride in comfort mode.
I have E90 M3 with 19" non ZCP. Really straggling with the harsh ride on very bad roads we have here.

Really would appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #77
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMan View Post
Can I just put the Bilstein shocks and leave the stock springs and everything? I am ok with stock ride height just looking for more cushy ride in comfort mode.
I have E90 M3 with 19" non ZCP. Really straggling with the harsh ride on very bad roads we have here.

Hi Happyman,

If you DONT mind your car just a tad raised or higher, then yes you will be fine with the stock springs I went with Eibach for obvious reasons (slightly lower and only 10% stiffer). Like you have 19" non ZCP wheels.

Either ways, I have found the ride to be more pleasant than the stock setup (given more suspension travel) even after all this time (had it since summer) driving on these pathetic DC roads.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #78
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:

Hi Happyman,

If you DONT mind your car just a tad raised or higher, then yes you will be fine with the stock springs I went with Eibach for obvious reasons (slightly lower and only 10% stiffer). Like you have 19" non ZCP wheels.

Either ways, I have found the ride to be more pleasant than the stock setup (given more suspension travel) even after all this time (had it since summer) driving on these pathetic DC roads.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Hi Lutfy,

Thank you for your kind reply. After reading your review I think that using bilstein with eibach springs will get me more comfort than with stock springs because of progressive design of eibach springs. Am i right?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #79
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi Lutfy,

Thank you for your kind reply. After reading your review I think that using bilstein with eibach springs will get me more comfort than with stock springs because of progressive design of eibach springs. Am i right?
I going to be brutally honest. Will you be able to tell the difference in ride, I doubt it (I personally could not when I had driven a stock suspended car with Eibach). Only reason I went with Eibach was to lower it just a tad so it matches more like a ZCP car.

So to answer if Eibach are more comfortable than stock springs because of progressive vs stock linear, hmmmm. Real life experience on these softly sprung spring as is is hard to tell. BUT in theory progressive is supposed to be better and more profound as spring rates begin to rise.

Do Eibach with it, you wont regret it (that much I know

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #80
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

For those looking for the model up:

B16 Damptronic thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139242

Drives: 2010 E70 X5M Carbonschwarz
Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #81
Bhdien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Sedan

These would be a great replacement for half the cost. Did you see that the shock travel was the same as OE? Or will lower springs cause premature wear like the OE with lowering springs? Is there a reason why it raised the car a tad bit?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #82
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhdien View Post
These would be a great replacement for half the cost. Did you see that the shock travel was the same as OE? Or will lower springs cause premature wear like the OE with lowering springs? Is there a reason why it raised the car a tad bit?
Shock travel was greater since Bilsteins have internal bumpstops and you can see the longerish shaft exposed. I had this verified by Turner (re internal bumpstop and no need for stock reuse as per the instructions as well). Stock shocks have bump stops which reduce travel. So in my case, the car is MUCH more liveable in DC bumpy roads (due to travel). Historically everytime I had tried Bilsteins, it had raised the height a fair bit. Bilsteins say its because previous shocks were toast and these are new therefore... but I dont buy that. Running Eibach (slightly stiffer than stock) solved the issue for me. Lots of street and track miles and a very happy camper. Zero issues to report so far.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #83
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Smile What exhaust set-up do you have ?

Awesome video of you racing ! Watched it 5 times - what is the exhaust set-up you have ? Sounds so amazing !

Also do you drive your M3 on track and road ?

Thank you,
Merlin

Quote:
I love this setup with Eibach and HR front only bar. Why I love this and wont drive my 911 on the track? This (action starts at 1:10 mark) :

Cannot go wrong with the shocks. SUPER comfy on the street and VERY satisfying on the track on Sport mode. I didnt like driving the M3 on DC roads but its a pleasure now.

Lutfy

PS: Not affiliated with Bilstein just a very satisfied consumer.

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #84
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Awesome video of you racing ! Watched it 5 times - what is the exhaust set-up you have ? Sounds so amazing !

Also do you drive your M3 on track and road ?

Thank you,
Merlin
Thanks Merlin! I have the Super Sprint F1 exhaust cat back only. The sound you hear is magnified as I have an external mic which is connected (as in taped when on track) to the rear bumper to capture the exhaust note. It then loops into the camera mounted in the car.

Yes car is track/road vehicle and left pretty much stockish except for brake pads/tires etc.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #85
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Has anyone paired these with the Swift springs which are linear? I plan to also pair these with the Ground Control Camber plates as well.

I was fine with how the M3 felt with the Swift springs, however a recent VW sponsored track day using my wife's VW CC with stock springs/ rear sway bar/ Bilstein HD's made me start thinking of just upgrading the shocks on the M3. The Bilsteins made a big difference in how much grip and stability the CC had on the race track and around city streets that it is just so much fun to drive the wife's car. I'm thinking on the M3 it will make a nice difference as well.

- So census is that it will not change my ride height correct? (I already have Swift installed)... if the rid height is gonna be looking like stock again I might just get coilovers.
- Lufty's review seams to make it great on the track as well (I don't plan to be competitive or get the lowest time attack time... but I want to be able to drive in a fun aggressive way)
- Lufty, any pictures of your car with these on?

I think I am deciding between these or Ohlins R/T matched withGC camber plates or even splurging for the B16 damptronic ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #86
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Has anyone paired these with the Swift springs which are linear? I plan to also pair these with the Ground Control Camber plates as well.

I was fine with how the M3 felt with the Swift springs, however a recent VW sponsored track day using my wife's VW CC with stock springs/ rear sway bar/ Bilstein HD's made me start thinking of just upgrading the shocks on the M3. The Bilsteins made a big difference in how much grip and stability the CC had on the race track and around city streets that it is just so much fun to drive the wife's car. I'm thinking on the M3 it will make a nice difference as well.

- So census is that it will not change my ride height correct? (I already have Swift installed)... if the rid height is gonna be looking like stock again I might just get coilovers.
- Lufty's review seams to make it great on the track as well (I don't plan to be competitive or get the lowest time attack time... but I want to be able to drive in a fun aggressive way)
- Lufty, any pictures of your car with these on?

I think I am deciding between these or Ohlins R/T matched withGC camber plates or even splurging for the B16 damptronic ones.
It will raise your car yes! I dont have pics at the moment but think its dead identical to ZCP (of John Hodges car whom I compared it with); I have Eibachs. "IF" the Swifts are OK with stock shocks then chances are they will with Bilsteins but I'd suggest you speak with them first. I certainly did.

You already have the key parts. Dont think adding these Bilstein's will make it that much more fun (in comparison to what you experienced with the CC) because the stock shocks are really good. I would look into HR front only bar at this point and leave suspension as is? You need to be VERY clear with what you want from the car, dont compare it to coilovers since they have certain advantages.

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 06-30-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #87
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It will raise your car yes! I dont have pics at the moment but think its dead identical to ZCP (of John Hodges car whom I compared it with); I have Eibachs. "IF" the Swifts are OK with stock shocks then chances are they will with Bilsteins but I'd suggest you speak with them first. I certainly did.

You already have the key parts. Dont think adding these Bilstein's will make it that much more fun (in comparison to what you experienced with the CC) because the stock shocks are really good. I would look into HR front only bar at this point and leave suspension as is? You need to be VERY clear with what you want from the car, dont compare it to coilovers since they have certain advantages.

Lutfy
The stock shocks on the CC made the car feel really floaty, felt like I was driving a 70's Cadillac before however the Bilsteins made it feel similar to how my previous GTI felt with AST coilovers except more comfortable. It did raise the CC a 1/4 inch however.

My M3 has 70,000 miles on the shocks so I am thinking they are just worn out at this point. They feel like they feel a bit bouncy and on on ramps/ offramps with rough pavement I'm getting bump steer... I couldn't keep up with a BRZ that was pushing it on an onramp because everytime the M3 hit an expansion joint or rough pavement I'd loose traction. Same onramp on the CC and it just sticks.

Interesting that it will make it about even height with the a stock ZCP however. Makes me lean more towards coilovers such as the Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #88
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post

Interesting that it will make it about even height with the a stock ZCP however. Makes me lean more towards coilovers such as the Ohlins.
Remember I ran mine with Eibach (lowering) springs. Hence I am at ZCP height now.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0