BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #45
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Silverstone is great color. A friend has an e90 in that color (w red interior at that). I prefer it on e92 but it's a great color. I also have a friend with a Jerez e90; nice color but tough to maintain imo. IB would be nice and different so would MR (the color I have now). Next to my friend's Silverstone, my MR looks exotic for sure. lol
MR is nice, but seems quite rare. I saw one on autotrader or cars.com that is MR with Fox Red extended interior. Its a little over the top for me . I really like the SSII with black rims look from pictures. Does SSII look just like silver unless the light hits it right, or can you generally see the blue tint in it all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
As the car ages and accumulates mileage from use, black leather interiors are easiest to keep looking good. Light colors are hardest. Red is not great. They can look good if lightly used.
I agree with you here. I'm considering Fox Red, but I will most likely go with Black. Beige or grey aren't my top picks.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #46
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xi_dd_CT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Silverstone is great color. A friend has an e90 in that color (w red interior at that). I prefer it on e92 but it's a great color. I also have a friend with a Jerez e90; nice color but tough to maintain imo. IB would be nice and different so would MR (the color I have now). Next to my friend's Silverstone, my MR looks exotic for sure. lol
MR is nice, but seems quite rare. I saw one on autotrader or cars.com that is MR with Fox Red extended interior. Its a little over the top for me . I really like the SSII with black rims look from pictures. Does SSII look just like silver unless the light hits it right, or can you generally see the blue tint in it all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
As the car ages and accumulates mileage from use, black leather interiors are easiest to keep looking good. Light colors are hardest. Red is not great. They can look good if lightly used.
I agree with you here. I'm considering Fox Red, but I will most likely go with Black. Beige or grey aren't my top picks.
Silverstone always looks unique (w the bluish tint). Doesn't look regular silver even in dull settings.
      03-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #47
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

OP I'm in a similar situation as you. I moved to Houston a few years ago and bought my E92 last May. Up until January I lived walking distance from work, and now I live 10 min away. Just because the commute is short doesn't mean you won't find ways to drive it elsewhere! It does suck getting out of the car after such a short time, but every time you walk back to it you feel like Christmas morning. Totally worth it.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      03-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #48
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

As a single do it all car, with a great mix of comfort and performance e9x M3 is hard to beat. However if it was solely for commuting I'd have a Gti or similar as the running costs are lower. If your sat in traffic or doing very short journeys you cant really enjoy the car anyway. Then something lighter and smaller for the weekend, a Porsche or older M such as a Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #49
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
As a single do it all car, with a great mix of comfort and performance e9x M3 is hard to beat. However if it was solely for commuting I'd have a Gti or similar as the running costs are lower. If your sat in traffic or doing very short journeys you cant really enjoy the car anyway. Then something lighter and smaller for the weekend, a Porsche or older M such as a Z4M.
My weekly commute will be short, but I do have a lot of great roads to take the car on around here. Litchfield County in CT is a beautiful place to drive and I can see us taking a lot of backroad, curvy drives up here letting the motor sing.

It'll be a single, do-it-all car for me. I plan on getting a second car a few years down the road, but that will be a project car (classic mustang to restore with the kids) and the M will still be pulling daily duties.

I think I have settled on Silverstone II as my top choice color. Found one with iDrive but no EDC, and another with EDC but no iDrive. I know CIC and CCC aren't that great, but I'd like the option of upgrading to NBT without having to swap the whole dash and wiring in or hacking up the dash for an Avin unit.

So I'm looking for an E90 SSII with either Black or Fox Red interior, DCT, iDrive, and EDC.

From what I read, MDM was an option? How do I know if a car had that as an option? Is it just the M button on the steering wheel? Or am I totally off base here?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #50
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
My weekly commute will be short, but I do have a lot of great roads to take the car on around here. Litchfield County in CT is a beautiful place to drive and I can see us taking a lot of backroad, curvy drives up here letting the motor sing.

It'll be a single, do-it-all car for me. I plan on getting a second car a few years down the road, but that will be a project car (classic mustang to restore with the kids) and the M will still be pulling daily duties.

I think I have settled on Silverstone II as my top choice color. Found one with iDrive but no EDC, and another with EDC but no iDrive. I know CIC and CCC aren't that great, but I'd like the option of upgrading to NBT without having to swap the whole dash and wiring in or hacking up the dash for an Avin unit.

So I'm looking for an E90 SSII with either Black or Fox Red interior, DCT, iDrive, and EDC.

From what I read, MDM was an option? How do I know if a car had that as an option? Is it just the M button on the steering wheel? Or am I totally off base here?
If you have the M button you have MDM

Personally I do not use MDM even though I have it coded to Euro MDM

I have one car with EDC (ZCP) and another with passive suspension. Each works very well. EDC gives you a bit harder on max attack settings and a bit softer but I would not call it a must have.

If the car has more than 50k miles on it I would replace it with the Bilstein B12 kit. If you have EDC it's like 2k. Without EDC it's like 1k.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #51
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

SSII is the best.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #52
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Daily it.

Life is too short to daily drive something else.

All my employees think twice about "working from home" on bad weather days...considering I'm always making it to work in the car that's "horrible" for winter.

Get some great winter tires at thinner widths, and you'll be more than fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #53
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Daily it.

Life is too short to daily drive something else.

All my employees think twice about "working from home" on bad weather days...considering I'm always making it to work in the car that's "horrible" for winter.

Get some great winter tires at thinner widths, and you'll be more than fine.
Same for me.

I'd prefer to drive an M3 with winter tires than any SUV with all seasons.

People who think an M3 doesn't work in winter are not the brightest crayons in the box

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-06-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #54
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Alpine White is the best.
Fixed that for you.

03-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #55
rymerc
winner of many hpde trophies
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Same for me.

I'd prefer to drive an M3 with winter tires than any SUV with all seasons.

People who think an M3 doesn't work in winter are not the brightest crayons in the box
Agreed. M3 even on el cheapo winter tires is more capable than most regular-person cars on all-seasons. Don't really even need winter tires unless you get regular deep snow or have icy hills on your commute.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      03-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #56
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any of you guys ever seen the Palladium interior? I've been looking at this car a lot but hard to tell from the pictures.
2011 SSII E90

No EDC, but thats probably ok. It comes with the original rims as well.

As an aside, my battery died on my 2006 330xi today, luckily I was fairly close to a parts store and had a socket wrench set in my trunk. Got the battery changed out, and just ordered my Full Version of the Carly App and adapter so I can register it. I needed one anyways for my future //M.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #57
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Any of you guys ever seen the Palladium interior? I've been looking at this car a lot but hard to tell from the pictures.
2011 SSII E90

As an aside, my battery died on my 2006 330xi today, luckily I was fairly close to a parts store and had a socket wrench set in my trunk. Got the battery changed out, and just ordered my Full Version of the Carly App and adapter so I can register it. I needed one anyways for my future //M.
I have Palladium silver interior in my e90m3. When i looked at the car in pictures i wasnt sold. But after test driving the car, i realized i enjoy the lighter interior more than i did the black interior in my last e90m3. Its an interesting color that has bluish tones, i get compliments all the time!

That being said, my first choice is still Fox Red, its just so cool looking. Unfortunately wife wouldnt sign off on the red interior, she hated the way it looked.
      03-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #58
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
2011 SSII E90

Looks like a nice car.. and on the interior, you would probably want to swap out that God awful wood trim for the carbon weave. Fortunately it's easy and cheap to find someone parting it out on here... would really make that Interior better in an easy way.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #59
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
I have Palladium silver interior in my e90m3. When i looked at the car in pictures i wasnt sold. But after test driving the car, i realized i enjoy the lighter interior more than i did the black interior in my last e90m3. Its an interesting color that has bluish tones, i get compliments all the time!

That being said, my first choice is still Fox Red, its just so cool looking. Unfortunately wife wouldnt sign off on the red interior, she hated the way it looked.
I was unsure of fox red until I went through the thread in the Gallery subforum and found some color corrected pics of it. I agree, its a very nice interior color.

I found a 2011 ZCP SGM E90 with Fox Red interior near me, but the seller hasn't responded to any messages I sent to him. So I'm not sure if its for sale or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Looks like a nice car.. and on the interior, you would probably want to swap out that God awful wood trim for the carbon weave. Fortunately it's easy and cheap to find someone parting it out on here... would really make that Interior better in an easy way.
Changing out the wood trim would be really high on the list! I'd actually see if I could find an extended Palladium center console as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #60
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

you should just get the trim repainted. Mine looks incredible
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #61
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Fixed that for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
SSII is the best.
Get those coupes out of here, this thread is for E90 M3 only

03-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #62
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep

What do you guys make of this car? I didn't see it until now because the transmission is incorrectly flagged as a manual and I have been filtering for DCTs.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1997/overview/

If you look at the Carfax, it is a 2009 that was not imported until 2011 and then it says it was sent back to Germany for 3 years before coming back under the same owner.

So, I'm trying to figure out the explanation for this. Best I can come up with is that it was bought originally by a military servicemember stationed in Europe and who then was rotated back to the states in 2011. That person sold it to another servicemember in the states who was transfered over to Germany.

Other than that, this car pretty much meets all my specs. Low miles, DCT, iDrive, EDC, Silverstone paint. I even think I like the extended Palladium Silver. And it's a slick top. Price seems pretty reasonable too based on what I have seen.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #63
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
What do you guys make of this car? I didn't see it until now because the transmission is incorrectly flagged as a manual and I have been filtering for DCTs.

If you look at the Carfax, it is a 2009 that was not imported until 2011 and then it says it was sent back to Germany for 3 years before coming back under the same owner.

So, I'm trying to figure out the explanation for this. Best I can come up with is that it was bought originally by a military servicemember stationed in Europe and who then was rotated back to the states in 2011. That person sold it to another servicemember in the states who was transfered over to Germany.

Other than that, this car pretty much meets all my specs. Low miles, DCT, iDrive, EDC, Silverstone paint. I even think I like the extended Palladium Silver. And it's a slick top. Price seems pretty reasonable too based on what I have seen.

What do you think?
Good find, good price. I think you found a nice one!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #64
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Isn't that a 335i front reflector on that bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Fixed that for you.

Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881104.00
      03-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #65
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

What do you think?
Low miles, good options, good price, hope you picked it up!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #66
330xi_dd_CT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Low miles, good options, good price, hope you picked it up!
I texted with the owner of the lot there and he said they found a whole bunch of service receipts in german in the glove compartment. I asked him to keep them with the car if he still has them, but no guarantees.

I'll speak with him on the phone tomorrow about moving forward. There is a BMW dealership about 15 minutes away and I asked him if he could take it there for a PPI since I can't go to see it personally.

Assuming the PPI is ok, I'll get it paid for and on its way asap.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50