BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

02-25-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Question First time with ONR, now I have some scratches

My car is wrapped with Xpel and has a Cquartz coating, both of which were professionally done. I just washed the car with ONR for the first time but I got some very fine scratches on a few areas after doing so. Now I am nervous to try that again and also wondering what I should do to fix the scratches.

My process was this:
-blasted the car with a hose to remove any large debris
-sprayed each panel with a diluted ONR/water solution
-used the Optimum big red sponge to wash each panel (diluted to about 1-2 oz per gallon of water), moving front to back the way the air would flow over the car
-dried the car as I always do

So two questions: what did I do wrong, and now what should I do to fix the fine scratches on the car? I'm not really sure what to do since it's got Cquartz.
      02-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I'm in the same boat with light scratches on a recently color corrected & ceramic coated car. I let it sit garaged for 3 weeks without driving to maximize its "curing" process too.

My method is largely the same and done without a pressure washer. Rinse, two bucket wash, rinse...

I believe the culprit is the drying process. Previously I had used various high end auto cloths and have since migrated to a dedicated electric leaf blower. Then use one of those clothes for final touch ups.

Either way, it's frustrating as I thought the ceramic would be more protective. I think it's biggest benefit is how easy it makes it to clean especially the wheels!

I'll updating to a high pressure washer and possibly water ionizer this summer.
Attached Images

02-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'm in the same boat with light scratches on a recently color corrected & ceramic coated car. I let it sit garaged for 3 weeks without driving to maximize its "curing" process too.

My method is largely the same and done without a pressure washer. Rinse, two bucket wash, rinse...

I believe the culprit is the drying process. Previously I had used various high end auto cloths and have since migrated to a dedicated electric leaf blower. Then use one of those clothes for final touch ups.

Either way, it's frustrating as I thought the ceramic would be more protective. I think it's biggest benefit is how easy it makes it to clean especially the wheels!

I'll updating to a high pressure washer and possibly water ionizer this summer.

My car has been coated for about 18 months and I've never had a problem with microscratches like this. I have been using the same waffle weave microfibre towels and drying process for many years. I had also washed the car the same way the whole time it was coated and never had problems.

Last edited by dparm; 02-25-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Understood - They can't be caused by water, so they're the result of something rubbing on the car?

Otherwise I have no ideas... Would love to hear more experiences and or thoughts!
      02-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I find that ONR will scratch cars with soft paint. I will find marring when using ONR on my Jet Black M3 but it will not mar my Glacier White Audi.

My process to minimize it is like yours - I do a spray down with ONR/water solution before wiping each panel. I use very minimal force when wiping as well. Do not drag your media across the paint. The mitt I use is one of those microfiber catapillar ones. I find anything that is solid (like a sponge) will push dirt around and not fall through. Also, I have recently switched to Wolfgang Uber Rinseless from ONR. I find it has a bit more lubrication so it is less scratch prone.

But in the end, if your car is very dirty and it has soft paint - avoid using any Rinseless wash.
      02-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't trust ONR that much, I only use it on my non-coated, non-paint corrected daily.

If you are obsessed with your paint, imo you should stick to traditional two bucket hand washes.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

ONR is great to use for light washes. It's important to follow the Gary Dean method to avoid small scratches. Basically you fill your bucket with multiple micro fibers. As you wipe down each panel you roll the towel as you move across so you don't pull the dirt across the paint. Fold towel and use clean side. Do NOT put dirty towel back into bucket of clean towels. This will prevents any scratches. Been doing this for years without any issue.
      02-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #8
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I haven't used ONR but I too have gotten some washing-induced micro scratching and/or marring. I'm in a somewhat similar situation with CQuartz and a clear bra on my car. I spoke to a number of detailers and, unfortunately, it seems with ceramic coatings the only thing you can do is compound them down and start over.

If you're handy with a DA, I have seen that CarPro Essence is a good polish to smooth and reinforce an existing coating. You could try that but since you have a PPF, take that advice with a grain of salt.

I love ceramic coatings but for these reasons I'm considering returning to a Sealant/Wax combo when this ceramic coating needs to be redone.

I would suggest that when in doubt, take it to a detailer you trust.
Appreciate 0