BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #309
ludalex
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118d

I might be dumb but I still don't understand how you can route any cable from the bottom of my armrest box since it doesn't have any openings. It's an F20 and it looks like this:

Maybe someone would be so kind to draw on it so I can understand how the cables can go from under the head unit to inside the arm rest center console?

Last edited by ludalex; 07-08-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #310
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post
I might be dumb but I still don't understand how you can route any cable from the bottom of my armrest box since it doesn't have any openings. It's an F20 and it looks like this:

That rubber liner in the armrest is removable, just lift it up. Atleast in e92 M3 it is.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #311
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludalex View Post

Maybe someone would be so kind to draw on it so I can understand how the cables can go from under the head unit to inside the arm rest center console?
Hmm. Like PACarGuy said, on our cars (E92) there's a slotted cover you can remove. I posted the exact location of said cover using his picture a few posts back.

Judging by your picture though, it doesn't look like that cover is there on an F20. You may need to drill some holes and pass the wires through like PACarGuy did.
      07-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #312
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

Very impressed with the speed of, if it comes as expected (it's already in Melbourne according to DHL) it will be 6 days from order on AliExpress to in my hands.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #313
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Arrived today, hoping to have time to install it tomorrow. Here's what was included, I'm worried that I'm missing the "quadlock" adaptor cable?

Edit: Don't mind me, confusing it with the NBT units that have that cable.
Attached Images

Last edited by MJBO; 07-10-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
JJH543.50
      07-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #314
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Arrived today, hoping to have time to install it tomorrow. Here's what was included, I'm worried that I'm missing the "quadlock" adaptor cable?

Edit: Don't mind me, confusing it with the NBT units that have that cable.
Yeah, no quadlock cable needed in CIC cars. Enjoy it!
      07-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #315
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
An update - I've been having some call quality issues with the provided Kremersino mic doing calls via Carplay. I'm not sure if it's because my iPhone stays connected to the OEM BMW Bluetooth when I'm in the car, but there is a ton of background noise and some voice cut out during some calls that I've had. When I switch my phone's audio source back to BMW bluetooth, it works just fine, and I'm able to make calls that way regardless (even using the Carplay call interface), so it's not a crushing issue, but still.
I've not had issues voice texting or doing Siri with the Kremersino Mic, so this is a bit of a stumper. I have contacted Kremersino but haven't heard anything back yet.
I haven't tried disconnecting Bluetooth, but I like being able to have the phone connected to BT since I can switch and make calls in either mode.
      07-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #316
yuyuyuyu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
An update - I've been having some call quality issues with the provided Kremersino mic doing calls via Carplay. I'm not sure if it's because my iPhone stays connected to the OEM BMW Bluetooth when I'm in the car, but there is a ton of background noise and some voice cut out during some calls that I've had. When I switch my phone's audio source back to BMW bluetooth, it works just fine, and I'm able to make calls that way regardless (even using the Carplay call interface), so it's not a crushing issue, but still.
I've not had issues voice texting or doing Siri with the Kremersino Mic, so this is a bit of a stumper. I have contacted Kremersino but haven't heard anything back yet.
I haven't tried disconnecting Bluetooth, but I like being able to have the phone connected to BT since I can switch and make calls in either mode.
I noticed the mic picks up a lot of noise in the background, but havent had anyone tell me my voice is cutting out.

I've been getting audio issues (cutting in and out sporadically) but I also have my OEM bluetooth connected still. When I toggle back to the OEM bluetooth to do audio, I don't hear the cutting in/out issues.

It's best to reach out to him on whatsapps, he seems to be pretty responsive there
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      07-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #317
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Got the same issue with calls over CarPlay, I was thinking of switching out with a better mic.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      07-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #318
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Finally had the time to install it this afternoon! Looks to be a simpler install than for NBT units, as it only patches into the display and iDrive cables to make the magic happen.

Actually installed it twice, had a scare the first time when I turn the ignition on and it said "Central electronics failure". Kinda freaked me out, so reversed everything to standard and it was back to normal.

Gave it a few hours and tried again. Worked out I didn't have the dip switches configured correctly, once that was rectified it all worked as expected!

Audio quality seems good so far. I worked out the quality was the best with the BMW AUX boost turned to its lowest setting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
PACarGuy679.00
JJH543.50
      07-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #319
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Thanks for the pictures! It looks like you are on iOS 13 beta like me.

Looks great! Let us know how your audio quality is like with phone calls.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #320
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I was thinking about the downgrade in sound quality when using anything that connects to the AUX input in the armrest.. which is why I haven't ordered one of these yet. Ideally these boxes would connect directly to the MOST bus (such as the factory CIC and CD Changer do, I believe), but obviously this isn't the case. There are some MOST to AUX adapters out there, such as this one:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=17&page=1

In this case, you'd just plug the Carplay audio output into this MOST to AUX adapter, then select the additional CD audio source this adapter provides (instead of BMW AUX). This would also eliminate having to use the AUX input in the armrest.

I wonder if this MOST to AUX adapter would provide any better audio quality for external devices such as the Carplay unit (even though you're still going digital to analog then back to digital again) given that its being interpreted as a factory CD source input versus AUX input.

I guess the question is - is the BMW factory AUX input degraded in sound quality versus emulating a CD changer source?

Thoughts?

Last edited by brettcp; 07-12-2019 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #321
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I was thinking about the downgrade in sound quality when using anything that connects to the AUX input in the armrest.. which is why I haven't ordered one of these yet. Ideally these boxes would connect directly to the MOST bus (such as the factory CIC and CD Changer do, I believe), but obviously this isn't the case. There are some MOST to AUX adapters out there, such as this one:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=17&page=1

In this case, you'd just plug the Carplay audio output into this MOST to AUX adapter, then select the additional CD audio source this adapter provides (instead of BMW AUX). This would also eliminate having to use the AUX input in the armrest.

I wonder if this MOST to AUX adapter would provide any better audio quality for external devices such as the Carplay unit (even though you're still going digital to analog then back to digital again) given that its being interpreted as a factory CD source input versus AUX input.

I guess the question is - is the BMW factory AUX input degraded in sound quality versus emulating a CD changer source?

Thoughts?
This is an interesting idea. I have no proof that the AUX quality is poorer than CD changer. With this setup, you would have MOST > RCA to 3.5MM > ACP Module. That alone is extra cables I don't want to worry about extra impedance, quality of connectors, etc.

Frankly, anything sounds like crap in a car if you are talking true high fidelity. All the road noise attributes to absurds amount of interference to a true setup. Attempting to get any better, IMO, feels like wasted effort. I'm at the point where acceptable has been lowered. Most of the time though, I like just listening to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #322
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey mate, do you have any trouble with the auto-connection? I'm having difficulty getting my phone to connect after it's been disconnected.

I'm hesitant to blame the unit though as I'm running iOS 13 beta, and haven't had time to try my fiance's iPhone X running the latest normal version of iOS 12.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #323
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey mate, do you have any trouble with the auto-connection? I'm having difficulty getting my phone to connect after it's been disconnected.

I'm hesitant to blame the unit though as I'm running iOS 13 beta, and haven't had time to try my fiance's iPhone X running the latest normal version of iOS 12.
No, if I leave "auto connect" enabled in the Limecet bluetooth setting, it always connects right away to Carplay when I start the car. I'm on 12.3.1 on my iPhone X.
      07-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #324
g35mt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 F80

If I was to buy one of these unit, which one best using with oem steering function? Unichip, joyeauto or kremersino? Thanks
Appreciate 1
nah dude237.00
      07-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #325
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, if I leave "auto connect" enabled in the Limecet bluetooth setting, it always connects right away to Carplay when I start the car. I'm on 12.3.1 on my iPhone X.
Interesting, I bet it's my iOS 13 beta playing silly buggers. I've read about other CarPlay issues on iOS 13, so stands to reason this is among them.

Once connected it works great. Steering wheel controls for track changing works well, as does the "Option" key on the iDrive controller for invoking Siri.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      07-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #326
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I bet it's my iOS 13 beta playing silly buggers. I've read about other CarPlay issues on iOS 13, so stands to reason this is among them.

Once connected it works great. Steering wheel controls for track changing works well, as does the "Option" key on the iDrive controller for invoking Siri.
iOS13 carplay with independent screen support on the iPhone was all worth the beta!!

It's so much handier to use now even in my civic daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #327
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
iOS13 carplay with independent screen support on the iPhone was all worth the beta!!

Yeah, I'm really liking the changes for the most part, and being able to run your phone in essentially "Extended Desktop" mode is awesome.

I am disappointed the home screen Map only shows Apple Maps (rather than Waze or Google Maps), makes it a bit limiting. Kinda wish I could disable the whole panel since it's useless to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #328
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm really liking the changes for the most part, and being able to run your phone in essentially "Extended Desktop" mode is awesome.

I am disappointed the home screen Map only shows Apple Maps (rather than Waze or Google Maps), makes it a bit limiting. Kinda wish I could disable the whole panel since it's useless to me.
Submit feedback? I will for sure. At least until Waze and google supports the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #329
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Submit feedback? I will for sure. At least until Waze and google supports the dashboard.
Yeah that's a good idea, posting on a random car forum isn't going to change it is it
Appreciate 1
derbo3608.50
      07-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #330
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid3r View Post
Got the same issue with calls over CarPlay, I was thinking of switching out with a better mic.
I tried disconnecting the BMW bluetooth connection during a Carplay call, per Michael from Kremersino's recommendation, but it didn't improve the call quality. Michael suggested I move the mic location to the mirror on the driver's side, as the OEM mic can supposedly interfere, but I haven't tried this yet. I wonder if moving the mic will remove the need to disconnect the BMW bluetooth, since I like having the factory bluetooth connection as well.