BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #23
nrubenstein
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Why are you spending $1-2k (plus $500 for detailing) to ship a car that you're about to sell?

07-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #24
gfisher99
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT, 2018 M2 DCT

I will add my recent experience to this thread. About a month ago, I purchased a 2018 M2 from a BMW dealer in North Carolina. I live in Austin, TX. The shipping process was a complete nightmare. There was almost no communication from the shipper and I only got spotty information when I begged for it (several calls/texts). The car was due to be picked up on 6/24 and after not hearing a peep from anyone, I started calling people. Started with the broker, who said the car was picked up on 6/24 (Monday), then finally got the info of the actual shipper (TAD Trucking?) who, on 6/26 (Wednesday) said their trucker was 20 minutes from picking it up and that it will be delivered on 6/27 (Thursday). Thursday rolls around and I hear nothing throughout the day/evening. Friday morning I call and ask the status, they told me it would be delivered that day, between 5-6pm. I'm excited. 6pm comes and goes and I've heard nothing. So I make another call. This time the lady puts me on hold a few mins and says 'The driver ran into bad weather' and that it would be delivered late Friday night. That's ok with me, I say. Then she say's oh wait, please hold. She comes back and says, "Sorry, it will be delivered Monday"...??? I asked her where in the US is the guy (to confirm bad weather) and she tells me that she cannot track the driver, due to the bad weather.

Monday rolls around, I again have to ask for a status, they tell me it will be delivered today, between 5-6pm. Of course 6pm comes and goes and I have not heard from anyone. I call around 730pm, and they say it will be delivered around 9pm. The car was delivered that night, around 930pm. Good, right? No.

The single-car flatbed rolls up and while the guy unhooks it, I see a whole bunch of mud all over this beautiful car. It's obviously been driven in a mud bog, likely when it got transferred at the hub in, I presume, Houston. The pristine black 763M wheels are literally coated in mud.

I start looking around the vehicle and notice the slight scrapes I was expecting to see under the front bumper (that I had confirmed with the dealer via pics pre-purchase) were now miraculously gone. Upon closer inspection, I start to see a lot of over-spray/compound in and around the large front opening, then (gasp), multiple paint runs on the front bumper and bad masking on the black bits inside the bumper intake areas! I had suspected that the transport people had damaged the car in transit seeing as they had my car for 6 days before I even got it (quoted 2 days initially). This confirmed it. This is why they kept giving me the run-around and sketchy info when asking where my car was. They were biding their time to 'fix' whatever it was they did to my car.

To add insult to injury, when the driver backed off the flatbed, he scrapped all 4 exhaust tips, with visible damage. He just shrugged his shoulders, jumped in the truck and took off. He never had me sign anything nor did he ever prove my identity.

After driving the car about 15 miles, I noticed a 'clunking' noise in the front suspension. This car has the Dinan performance coilover setup. Disappointed, I book a service appointment with BMW to have them check it out under warranty the next day. BMW calls me the next day and asks if I had off-roaded the car, to which I say no. They said basically, there's rocks/mud/debris all up in the front suspension and that's what's causing the noise. They charge me $150 to clean it out and it no longer makes the noise (thankfully). They couldn't book it under warranty. Irritating knowing that all of this is on the shipper.

I now have the dealer working with the shipper to replace my exhaust tips and pay for a (proper) re-spray of the front bumper. The shipping company is being less than helpful with the dealer and I'm starting to feel like I am just screwed. To the dealer's credit, they have been very helpful and even sent me a check to cover the cost of the suspension cleanup visit. I just hope I get resolution on the tips and the bumper without me going out of pocket.

To end a very long story, I said all this just to let people know to pick a VERY reputable shipper. In my case, I didn't have much of a choice since the dealer I purchased from paid the shipping and arranged all of it.

Hope this helps someone in the future!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #25
MightyM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I would go enclosed, look into Uship. I used Uship to ship my M3 enclosed from PA - FL, costed me $700. Constant updates and truck driver arrived within a few days after pickup. You can get very low rates because trucks need to fill up inventory last minute sometimes, the M3 took a ride along side a few Ferraris and even a Phantom. Side note they even let me move the Phantom out of the way when loading my car which was a very cool experience. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0