BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

08-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Looking for a new wax/sealant.

I've been using SV Blau Weiss for years now and I finally ran out. Looking for something to replace it. SV seems to have gone up quite a bit in price since I last bought it and it also seems like not many places are carrying it. I'm a little bummed because I liked the look of the SV and I could get over a year of good beading with it. What else is out there? It been years since I've looked for new stuff.
      08-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

What about Sonax Polymer Net Shield? My coworker raves about the shine, never tried it myself.

I personally have OptiCoat on my car now.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
What about Sonax Polymer Net Shield? My coworker raves about the shine, never tried it myself.

I personally have OptiCoat on my car now.
+1 if you want the best sealant out there it's sonax polymer net shield for sure. Waxes have somewhat died out. Only the enthusiast wax person will still appreciate or want to apply them. Coatings are the bees knees now since they have crazy durability/sheeting/beading/look.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Blackfire Wet Diamond - love it and I've been using it for years. I refuse to change to anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I use Menzerna Powerlock sealant. Don't know if it's the absolute best product out there, but I really enjoy how it's so easy to apply and wipe off. I wouldn't mind trying the Sonax one if it's a big improvement.

Anyone care to comment why they think the Sonax is so good?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I use Menzerna Powerlock sealant. Don't know if it's the absolute best product out there, but I really enjoy how it's so easy to apply and wipe off. I wouldn't mind trying the Sonax one if it's a big improvement.

Anyone care to comment why they think the Sonax is so good?
I have used it and agree it gives a great high gloss shine with great beading. Can easily be refreshed with Sonax Brillliant Shine Detail Spray. Not sure about durability since I do not DD car or go very long without "tinkering". Downside is some find it hard to work with specifically the removal process. Apply in small sections and remove immediately. Aerosol spray requires discipline to avoid using too much. Just my .02
      08-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions. I do already use Menzerna PL on my wife's Audi and on my wheels so I am familiar with it. I just liked the deep wet look of the SV compared to the hard bright shine of PL. A lot of people I've talked to have suggested Sonax PNS and I've even heard doing Opti-coat and going over with PNS. The scary part of these new semi-permanent coatings is how difficult they are to correct if you make a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #8
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Has anyone tried Sonax PNS over OptiCoat? I wonder if it would actually look any better than just bare OptiCoat. I know they say that it probably wouldn't bond to the OptiCoat,
but like someone said earlier, I "tinker" a lot so i don't expect anything to last much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I do already use Menzerna PL on my wife's Audi and on my wheels so I am familiar with it. I just liked the deep wet look of the SV compared to the hard bright shine of PL. A lot of people I've talked to have suggested Sonax PNS and I've even heard doing Opti-coat and going over with PNS. The scary part of these new semi-permanent coatings is how difficult they are to correct if you make a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

I personally choose C-Quartz Finest over Opti-Coat and couldn't be happier. We had it applied to the body and wheels. It's great to only have to hose the car off with only water and have the paint shine like new every time.

Ill be honest and have heard the good and bad about both the biggest constant about the Opti-coat was that it starts to fade sooner then the c-quartz and when it's time to reapply, it's a pita to take off the old coat.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
Has anyone tried Sonax PNS over OptiCoat? I wonder if it would actually look any better than just bare OptiCoat. I know they say that it probably wouldn't bond to the OptiCoat,
but like someone said earlier, I "tinker" a lot so i don't expect anything to last much at all.
I have "tinkered" that way for car events. Doesn't last long due to bonding issue. You will get the superior beading and improved gloss for your efforts.
      08-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

longest lasting wax I've found for our brutal climate is colinite 476.... its unbelievable however a pain to work with. I heated it up for a bit with my contractor lamp then applied it. still going 5 months later. Beading galore and very resilient.

sonax polimer net sheild is the best sealant I've used so far on automobiles.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to just stick with SV. I like the look so much better the Menzerna PL and it would be hard for me to go back now. I actually might upgrade from SV Blau-Weiss to Concorso.

Now my only problem is, why does it seem like no one sells SV anymore? You can buy directly from SV but it seems like that is the only option.
      08-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to just stick with SV. I like the look so much better the Menzerna PL and it would be hard for me to go back now. I actually might upgrade from SV Blau-Weiss to Concorso.

Now my only problem is, why does it seem like no one sells SV anymore? You can buy directly from SV but it seems like that is the only option.
Do what you like but waxes are becoming obsolete. That is mainly why no one sells the sv but also probably because if people do buy waxes they buy something much more affordable that yields the same results at least in durability
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

One alternative, I use their products on my paint, but may buy some of this to top off/"tinker" high content less than SV.

http://www.polishangel.us/collection...nauba-creation

Link to my car write up on product site:

http://www.polishangel.us/blogs/news
      08-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Do what you like but waxes are becoming obsolete. That is mainly why no one sells the sv but also probably because if people do buy waxes they buy something much more affordable that yields the same results at least in durability
What other waxes have you used in the past? I saw a ot of recommendations for Menzerna PL which I have and I am familiar with and I have observed significantly better results with SV than the PL. So if everyone's expectations and comparisons are of that level, it seems like Sonax PNS would probably be a step back for me. If you have used other carnaubas before and can give a comparison to PNS, I'd like to hear it.
      08-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
What other waxes have you used in the past? I saw a ot of recommendations for Menzerna PL which I have and I am familiar with and I have observed significantly better results with SV than the PL. So if everyone's expectations and comparisons are of that level, it seems like Sonax PNS would probably be a step back for me. If you have used other carnaubas before and can give a comparison to PNS, I'd like to hear it.
Pns is definitely better than pl
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
I've been very happy with the durability of the Auto Finesse Tough Coat myself. Very easy to apply and remove and it's holding up well. Given the high altitude and the intensity of the sun at ~6k feet, I'd say that's a testament to its durability. My M3 has it so I applied it to my wife's X5 as well and both cars continue to shine and bead up nicely. It's been a year and a half on the M3 and about 6 months on the X5. I'm curious to try some of the others listed above though. Particularly the Sonax Polymer Net Shield. Does anyone have experience with both of these products?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
I've been very happy with the durability of the Auto Finesse Tough Coat myself. Very easy to apply and remove and it's holding up well. Given the high altitude and the intensity of the sun at ~6k feet, I'd say that's a testament to its durability. My M3 has it so I applied it to my wife's X5 as well and both cars continue to shine and bead up nicely. It's been a year and a half on the M3 and about 6 months on the X5. I'm curious to try some of the others listed above though. Particularly the Sonax Polymer Net Shield. Does anyone have experience with both of these products?
Yes, both good, Tough Coat easier to apply but you have to use Tough Prep first for best results. My .02 is PNS has slight edge looks wise durability hard for me to call too much "tinkering".
      08-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
A year and a half? Good grief.

I normally hate detailing (I'd rather be driving ) but this almost makes me want to detail my E92 next weekend.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

I normally hate detailing (I'd rather be driving ) but this almost makes me want to detail my E92 next weekend.
I get twitchy after a month and must tinker.
      08-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #21
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///

Well I have only put 9k miles on the car in over a year and a half. The sealant is holding up so well I just do a light mist of quick detailer while drying and it's good to go. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #22
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

I stick with my sealant and wax (collinite) even just wax alone. Nothing feels like wax.
Appreciate 0