BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #331
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
You might wait forever. I'm in Saskatchewan and I gave up trying to find one in Canada. I bought one in California and it's being shipped as we speak. With all import fees, transportation, etc it will still be about 20% cheaper than a 2008 M3 in Canada and it's a 2009. It takes a little more paper work then buying one in Canada, but it's not that difficult.
Not sure about this 20% but whatever it is you will lose it eventually on resale because US cars up here do not sell anywhere near the pricing of Can cars.

I don't see the E9X M3 market flooded up here like it was for the E46 M3 because of numerous factors. The ecomomy is different and debt is a concern now with more folks. Hence, those days of importing these M3s are no longer all the rage and the cost of the E9X M3 is actually much higher comparing to the E46 M3 in the States. I also believe more folks will keep their E9X M3 longer given what they paid for it and rumours of the next M3 not sounding too good with that turbo shit.

Last edited by TailHappyM3; 05-27-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #332
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCanada View Post
no chance... unless you are buying in the states..M3's are way.......overpriced here in canada.. actually cars in general
This is what I found. I just bought a 2009 E90 M3 with 4500 miles for 45,500 CAD (47500 USD). To import it I paid 1950 for Transport, 250 Brokerage, 6.1% import fee (about 2600), 205 for RIV and about another 150 for some other fees I can't remember now. (I left off the taxes, because, unless you buy a private sale car in your home province the taxes will be the same.) That's still about 50-51K for a barely used 2009 M3 with good options. I have been looking across Canada for about 12 months. I think I've seen less than 10 sedans for sale across the country in that time. Of those I believe 8 or 9 were 2008's. The typical car was a 2008 with only a few options and usually had around 40-50K Km. They were all priced between 60-70K. So I was looking at a year older, 20K miles more, with less options for a minimum of 10K dollars more.

There just aren't very many used M3's for sale in Canada and the prices are about 20-30% more when compared to importing, even after taking into account all fees and costs. If you're Canadian and want an M3 you owe it to yourself to look south of the border. It's really a no-brainer.

Last edited by gobrigavitch; 05-27-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #333
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailHappyM3 View Post
Not sure about this 20% but whatever it is you will lose it eventually on resale because US cars up here do not sell anywhere near the pricing of Can cars.
I've heard this argument numerous times, but I call BS. If I put my car up for sale today I could list it at 57K and break even. That's thousands less than any Canadian car which will have way more mileage. So are you telling me that a Canadian looking for an M3 will pay thousands more for a lesser car just to have different numbers on the speedo (That's the only difference between the cars). I find this very hard to believe. I think this argument is used by those that sell BMW's in Canada to scare customers into buying their cars up here.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #334
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is what I found. I just bought a 2009 E90 M3 with 4500 miles for 45,500 CAD (47500 USD). To import it I paid 1950 for Transport, 250 Brokerage, 6.1% import fee (about 2600), 205 for RIV and about another 150 for some other fees I can't remember now. (I left off the taxes, because, unless you buy a private sale car in your home province the taxes will be the same.) That's still about 50-51K for a barely used 2009 M3 with good options. I have been looking across Canada for about 12 months. I think I've seen less than 10 sedans for sale across the country in that time. Of those I believe 8 or 9 were 2008's. The typical car was a 2008 with only a few options and usually had around 40-50K Km. They were all priced between 60-70K. So I was looking at a year older, 20K miles more, with less options for a minimum of 10K dollars more.

There just aren't very many used M3's for sale in Canada and the prices are about 20-30% more when compared to importing, even after taking into account all fees and costs. If you're Canadian and want an M3 you owe it to yourself to look south of the border. It's really a no-brainer.
Sounds like a fair deal (but not 20-30% cheaper, not even close) after adding all taxes which takes you somehere near mid 50s for the sedan. I'm not sure what options you have but that car in a coupe would easily be in the high 50s after all said and done with importing. I just saw a low mileage 2009 DCT coupe loaded imported from the States sell for 65 plus taxes up here. The guy figures he saved maybe 5K which is less than 10% but he knows those savings will be gone when resale comes around.

Did you have to pay the $2500 for the cluster change??
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #335
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've heard this argument numerous times, but I call BS. If I put my car up for sale today I could list it at 57K and break even. That's thousands less than any Canadian car which will have way more mileage. So are you telling me that a Canadian looking for an M3 will pay thousands more for a lesser car just to have different numbers on the speedo (That's the only difference between the cars). I find this very hard to believe. I think this argument is used by those that sell BMW's in Canada to scare customers into buying their cars up here.
I have bought and sold US cars many times and have friends/dealers in the business.

You may break even with your deal but many won't. The point I'm trying to make is that it may look like a great savings initially but come resale you take the hit. It happens and is not BS. Talk to some people who have tried to sell their US cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #336
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a fair deal (but not 20-30% cheaper, not even close) after adding all taxes which takes you somehere near mid 50s for the sedan. I'm not sure what options you have but that car in a coupe would easily be in the high 50s after all said and done with importing. I just saw a low mileage 2009 DCT coupe loaded imported from the States sell for 65 plus taxes up here. The guy figures he saved maybe 5K which is less than 10% but he knows those savings will be gone when resale comes around.

Did you have to pay the $2500 for the cluster change??
I didn't do the cluster change as it isn't needed. As for taxes I would have had to pay those here. If anybody buys a used car at a dealer they will pay 5% GST. 80% of M3's I saw for sale were from dealers so that tax is most likely going to be the same. In Saskatchewan we have 5% PST. It has to be paid on any vehicle that hasn't had it paid previously. So unless I bought an M3 in SK I sould have paid 5% PST on any vehicle I bought. I think most provinces work this way. With the small number of M3's for sale in Canada there is a good chance a buyer will have to buy out of province so will pay the PST anyway. That's why I didn't include the taxes as for most purchases they will be the same whether importing or not

I stand by my 20% savings. To import the car, including taxes, I paid 55-56K. As I said before M3 sedans in Canada are mostly 2008's with 40-50K Kms and are selling for 60K + taxes which is 66K for me. I didn't even include transportation on the Canadian car, but the M3's I looked at were all in Ontario, BC or Alberta so there would have been some transportation cost. So my calculations are accurate and the savings are 20-30%.

Prices are coming down in Canada, but they are also coming down in the USA. The prices may get closer together in the future, but I don't see it happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #337
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

+1 on US cars being tougher to sell in Canada. Yes, the "stealers" have a lot to do with this but they set the market too. I know many people who got offered 25% or more below Canadian Black Book value when they tried to tade in their US E46 M3 on the E9X at those scum bag dealers. The thing is the private market knows this too so why would one over pay for the US car knowing one day their resale would be hit too? It's the dealers up here who control this market and try to screw the guys importing from the US and so far they are winning, sadly. For example, one of the rules they tried to enforce was having to change the instrument cluster for thousands of dollars and US cars were sitting at the dealers for months waiting for this. Lots of horror stories out there about this.

Bottomline, unless you find a superb deal and keep your car for a long time, it's not worth importing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #338
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have bought and sold US cars many times and have friends/dealers in the business.

You may break even with your deal but many won't. The point I'm trying to make is that it may look like a great savings initially but come resale you take the hit. It happens and is not BS. Talk to some people who have tried to sell their US cars.
I plan to keep the car for years so I'm not overly concerned about resale. If I was to resell I do believe that I would have to sell it for cheaper than a comparable Canadian car. However, with the savings I had upfront I could sell for considerably cheaper than any Canadian car and still break even. I wouldn't recommend people do this to try and make money. I don't think the numbers are there to make a business out of it, but for personal use I think it adds up nicely.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #339
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azorean View Post
+1 on US cars being tougher to sell in Canada. Yes, the "stealers" have a lot to do with this but they set the market too. I know many people who got offered 25% or more below Canadian Black Book value when they tried to tade in their US E46 M3 on the E9X at those scum bag dealers. The thing is the private market knows this too so why would one over pay for the US car knowing one day their resale would be hit too? It's the dealers up here who control this market and try to screw the guys importing from the US and so far they are winning, sadly. For example, one of the rules they tried to enforce was having to change the instrument cluster for thousands of dollars and US cars were sitting at the dealers for months waiting for this. Lots of horror stories out there about this.

Bottomline, unless you find a superb deal and keep your car for a long time, it's not worth importing.
I think this post sums it up nicely. It's where I fit and why it made good sense for me. The other thing that steered me to the US was the sheer volume of cars available. In the 1 year I looked up here I didn't see one car that had what I wanted. I wanted a E90 2009 or newer with DCT, Cold Weather, ZTP, and Leather and as many other options as I could get. I also had 1 color that I preferred, but could have settled on 3 different colors. I honestly didn't find 1 car that fit what I wanted. However on Cars.com there was at least 1 car per month (and usually more) that had what I wanted.

The other thing I see is that most of these losses seemed to be with E46 M3's. It seems that there were way more of them sold in Canada compared to the E9x M3's. My guess is that the limited supply of E9x M3's in Canada will make it much easier to sell US imports in these. Time will tell I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #340
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I plan to keep the car for years so I'm not overly concerned about resale. If I was to resell I do believe that I would have to sell it for cheaper than a comparable Canadian car. However, with the savings I had upfront I could sell for considerably cheaper than any Canadian car and still break even. I wouldn't recommend people do this to try and make money. I don't think the numbers are there to make a business out of it, but for personal use I think it adds up nicely.
This makes sense. Hope you enjoy your car!

FWIW, my local, mint, loaded '08 coupe cost me less (private sale is the key) than what I could find in the US after calculating all taxes, fees, costs etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #341
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This makes sense. Hope you enjoy your car!

FWIW, my local, mint, loaded '08 coupe cost me less (private sale is the key) than what I could find in the US after calculating all taxes, fees, costs etc..
I did find that there were some good deals for coupe's. Not alot, but the odd one. I did find one good deal on a sedan, which was private sale. It had everything I wanted except was 6MT. I could have been happy with the car, but my wife will be using it occasionally and she really wanted to get DCT instead of 6MT so I passed on it.

It's a little bit more work to buy in the USA, and can be much more stressful. The car I bought was 3K KM's away so I had to buy it sight unseen. However, I was likely way more careful than I would have been if I had actually seen the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #342
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I did find that there were some good deals for coupe's. Not alot, but the odd one. I did find one good deal on a sedan, which was private sale. It had everything I wanted except was 6MT. I could have been happy with the car, but my wife will be using it occasionally and she really wanted to get DCT instead of 6MT so I passed on it.

It's a little bit more work to buy in the USA, and can be much more stressful. The car I bought was 3K KM's away so I had to buy it sight unseen. However, I was likely way more careful than I would have been if I had actually seen the car.

Sight unseen is very risky but hope it works out man. I had some stress with this on one car once and promised myself never to do that again. In the end both the Florida seller and shipper had to compromise and pay for all the defects that showed up on the car despite it being advertized as immaculate. The problem was "immaculate" means different things to different people and I am one very picky guy. Make sure you have lots of pictures on file before shipping...this saved my ass with the shipping company. Good luck and post some pics and your experience after it's all done.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #343
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Price check:
08 E90 M3
Graphite/black leather
15k miles
6spd
Coldweather/tech/premium package
EPS
18" wheels
Satellite/Ipod/usb
CPO warranty
In service date of 12/08

$49,600
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #344
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
Price check:
08 E90 M3
Graphite/black leather
15k miles
6spd
EPS
18" wheels
Satellite/Ipod/usb
CPO warranty
In service date of 12/08

$49,600
I paid 39k for my 08 a couple of weeks ago. Same package, 39k miles, no CPO. For that much, i'd go with an 09 for the updated Idrive, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #345
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Price check:
08 E90 M3
Graphite/black leather
15k miles
6spd
EPS
18" wheels
Satellite/Ipod/usb
CPO warranty
In service date of 12/08

$49,600
whoa, sorry dude, you paid too much, you should have told me, I would have sold you my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #346
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: ex-e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
When purchased: April, 2011
Year and Model: 2009 E90
Miles: 33,300
Options: Premium package II, Hi-fi, HD Radio, Convenience, moonroof, heated seats, fold down rear seats, EDC and 19" wheels.
Transmission: 6-spd

I paid $47,800 OTD for my car. While the miles were a bit more than what I was looking for, the car had an out of service date of October, 2012, so that made me happy. I also wanted a car that was loaded, and this car was, but also was kept in fantastic condition. No issues on the interior or exterior. The guy who leased it from new was a local Dr. and seemed to enjoy driving it pretty enthusiastically.

I think in the current market the M3 has come up a bit simply due to the fact that dealers want to make more money off their used cars again. Last summer I almost got an E90 M3 that was similarly loaded but only 45 grand with much fewer miles... Why I didn't do it, I have no idea.
How did you get that price OTD btw? Whats the "normal" price for a 09 M3? I don't get how these M3's are running for 45k in Cali. At least not from a BMW dealer I can't find any of these deals. Anyone care to tell me

Last edited by Juan.sidarta; 06-06-2011 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #347
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
I paid 39k for my 08 a couple of weeks ago. Same package, 39k miles, no CPO. For that much, i'd go with an 09 for the updated Idrive, IMO.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
whoa, sorry dude, you paid too much, you should have told me, I would have sold you my car.
I was just checking the price, I thought it was high too. I didn't buy it, especially because they aren't budging on price.

Are you selling?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #348
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Thanks!

I was just checking the price, I thought it was high too. I didn't buy it, especially because they aren't budging on price.

Are you selling?
i'm just saying, I bought my 08 E90 with 8k miles in June 2010 for $46k cash, out the door. There's no way you should be paying $49 in 2011. You should offer $44k and don't move from there.

I'm not really selling, i'm just saying if you really wanted it for $49k, hell, I"ll sell you mine...lol, I would have effectively flipped my car for more than what I paid for mine a year ago (i now have 15k miles) (if you want to do it for $46k right now, I'll seriously consider it, I'm looking for a reasonable way to get into a E90 DCT, haha. )
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #349
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
i'm just saying, I bought my 08 E90 with 8k miles in June 2010 for $46k cash, out the door. There's no way you should be paying $49 in 2011. You should offer $44k and don't move from there.

I'm not really selling, i'm just saying if you really wanted it for $49k, hell, I"ll sell you mine...lol, I would have effectively flipped my car for more than what I paid for mine a year ago (i now have 15k miles) (if you want to do it for $46k right now, I'll seriously consider it, I'm looking for a reasonable way to get into a E90 DCT, haha. )
It has 15k miles and CPO warranty, that is a pretty solid perk for a lot of BMW owners. Low mileage and a 100k warranty, not to mention it was probably loaded and in great shape. If you take away the CPO, options and miles then yes you sit around the 44k mark, but when you add CPO, 2,500-3,500 and some options you get to the 47-48 range not to mention the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #350
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: ex-e92

Quote:

Thats what I want too e90 DCT. Wait if your selling for 46k wouldn't you still be losing money because of taxes?

Anyhow whats the average market value for 08 e90 DCT or 09 e90 DCT from a Dealer? I look around in Autotrader and they all run for 50k+, and there wer go saying here that they are low-mid 40's. I am confused!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #351
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Is your car CPO? Did you go private party, used car dealer, or BMW CPO? that seems to be the greatest difference. In my search, these cars don't seem to be in that 46k range at all. I actually think these cars climbed in value in the past year, as did most used cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #352
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

2009 CPO'd

-21,XXX
-Space Grey/Black
-DCT
-Nav
-19's
-Extended Leather
-Ipod
-Cold weather

Asking $59,998

Just checked out this car today. Thought it was listed for too much. Dealer didn't seem to want to budge on the price more then 1000 off. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0