BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2022, 12:46 AM   #67
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntrash View Post
Nice. Thanks for doing this. What exhaust system is this... stock?
Stock x-pipe with MPE.
I just purchased and installed a full Karbonius setup (pic below) from an honorable member of this fine forum. I'm running MPE and stock mid pipe and am blown away. Sounds incredible at all rpm ranges. The install however wasn't totally trouble free. I completely agree with the OP's description of fitment of the airbox lid and his description of the issue was spot on. I have the same issue. I do however have two other issues.

The first is I'm getting a CEL and not sure why given I'm very sure all connections were and are solid. Maybe it's a coincidence and an O2 sensor has gone bad somewhere?

Second thing isn't really an issue but an observation. I took the car out today and did a very aggressive run. Lots of WOT and redline pulls because that's where the setup screams as we all know. I observed something that I can describe as a skittering sound coming from the plenum, my windows were up. Essentially wide open in first to redline, then same thing in second. The skittering sound occurred mainly during second gear pulls to redline and began at 6k and on. The best way to describe it is how your car skitters as it seeks traction and TC is intervening. And although that was also happening I don't think that's the issue. I tried many pulls at 3/4 throttle too to try to prevent TC from kicking in and the noise didn't go away. Maybe something is loose with my install? Or maybe this is just inherent in the Karbonius? It's dated from 2019 fyi. Any insights are appreciated.
What's your error code?
It says the dreaded increased emissions
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #68
m34m
Captain
Rep

Update: I took everything apart and started again. The install was fine except the worm clamps were not tightened enough and gases were escaping. Problem solved and CEL gone. The stuttering sound between 6k and redline when hard on the the throttle remains however. I'm thinking it's the nature of the Karbonius and the resonance it produces. This may simply be the cost of using after market products, there's always unknowns. Sure wish there were OEM CF pieces like this because the fitment of that airbox lid is very sketchy. Anyway the car still sounds epic and I think I can live with that slightly odd sound. If I can set up my iPhone I will try to take some video. Can't be heard with windows down only windows up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #69
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Update: I took everything apart and started again. The install was fine except the worm clamps were not tightened enough and gases were escaping. Problem solved and CEL gone. The stuttering sound between 6k and redline when hard on the the throttle remains however. I'm thinking it's the nature of the Karbonius and the resonance it produces. This may simply be the cost of using after market products, there's always unknowns. Sure wish there were OEM CF pieces like this because the fitment of that airbox lid is very sketchy. Anyway the car still sounds epic and I think I can live with that slightly odd sound. If I can set up my iPhone I will try to take some video. Can't be heard with windows down only windows up.
The fluttering you're referring is mentioned in the video below (play at 7:23). Sound waves are produced by vibration, more vibration = more volume. Factory plenums are rigid, means no vibration = no sound. More vibration can be achieved by lighter layer of CF. The side effects, however, is flutters at high RPM and between shifts which disrupts airflow. Haimus might be the stiffest of all of them, but offers almost no sound benefits but claim HP gains. Eventuri is very stiff as well, best of both worlds in stiffness and sound, no gains. I haven't personally handled the version that you have.

I've been researching for the best S65 plenums, I think I read the last page on the internet about this topic.

The best intake sounding car I've ever owned was a 1999 Honda Civic Si with Spoon cams, Toda Racing timing belt, Weapon R intake, tuned to 8,450rpm. Even since, I've been chasing for that similar sound in a more mature chassis.

I've concluded just pick the ones with the best sound. Unless you track and often chase high RPM, no performance difference or drawbacks here. For me, I would like the stiffest ones that offer the lightest weight with a little more gains than stock for my track car. Reducing every ounce from the front end helps as there's no where we can reduce weight up front. Even boil down to removing the AC next. Plenty of weight reductions available in the rear.

Long term reliability, Haimus machined trumpets might be the most durable. But that could mean 5yr, 10yr, 15, who knows as these solutions aren't out long enough...

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 05-24-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
m34m697.00
      06-18-2022, 01:44 PM   #70
Sammy82
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

A short video of my Karbonius Airbox under full throttle
https://youtube.com/shorts/R3cCfOXXYQQ?feature=share

Primary cats removed, oem exhaust mod.
Appreciate 4
CTMike262.00
akkando5860.00
m34m697.00
Rochen_00349.50
      07-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #71
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Does anybody here have experience with the latest version from Karbonius? I am reading mixed things about it - that it’s an updated version with improved fitment and quality, and that it’s primarily for UK cars and is not quite as powerful as the original. Waiting for Karbo to confirm but they’re slower to reply over the European summer and curious for other experiences.

Last edited by wyatth; 07-20-2022 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #72
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

For what it's worth, Karbonius confirmed that the model shown above was redesigned with RHD cars and improved fitment in mind. They noted the original version is a little louder and has a little more air volume. Sounds like you can't really go wrong either way.

Last edited by wyatth; 07-25-2022 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
slcook541859.50
kcdedric742.50
      07-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #73
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
For what it's worth, Karbonius confirmed that the model shown above was redesigned with RHD cars and improved fitment in mind. They noted the original version is a little louder and has a little more air volume. Sounds like you can't really go wrong either way.
Do you notice an odd fluttering sound at high RPM?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #74
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

I don't have a box yet. I am trying to order from Karbonius but they are on vacation through this week. I will be ordering the original roundel version in dry carbon. I'll also note that all kits now come with BMC filters (no more ITG) and with a revised filter cover that fits better. Either plenum style will fit LHD cars well, but V2/2022 model is better for RHD cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:55 PM   #75
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embolus*M3 View Post
Eventuri x Dinan x Gruppe
That's an absolutely sick setup!

Nice job piecing all that together too, I remember going through the headache of making my GruppeM fit like oem and fit up with all my other mods. I'm wondering are you forced to use the K&N filter from GM with this setup or does anything else fit and work in that box?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 12-21-2022 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #76
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

For anyone curious, the new version of the Eventuri with aluminum flanges for the trumpets weighs in at 4oz more than the original version. So 7lbs 14oz vs the 7lbs 10oz of the original.

I ordered the matte Eventuri plenum but received gloss. Hopefully I'll have a weight for the matte Eventuri in a week or so...

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 2
akkando5860.00
wyatth3544.00
      04-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #77
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For anyone curious, the new version of the Eventuri with aluminum flanges for the trumpets weighs in at 4oz more than the original version. So 7lbs 14oz vs the 7lbs 10oz of the original.

I ordered the matte Eventuri plenum but received gloss. Hopefully I'll have a weight for the matte Eventuri in a week or so...
As a follow-up to this, the matte version weighed in at 8lbs 8oz. The matte finish must be another coat on top of the clear version to add that kind of weight...

Appreciate 1
wyatth3544.00
      04-13-2023, 06:11 PM   #78
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:

Was not aware Eventuri finally got alu trumpet flanges. Any pics of the new flange design pls?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 06:40 PM   #79
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Was not aware Eventuri finally got alu trumpet flanges. Any pics of the new flange design pls?
Borrowed from IND's website:

I don't have a pic of the inside, but can confirm there is an aluminum ring at the base of each trumpet.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 11:33 PM   #80
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Thanks! Glad they fixed that problem. My friend's 1 yr old eventuri had 4 broken trumpets.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:58 PM   #81
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
I have an early 2022 version in roundel (not sure if it's revised one) and it's loud. Very satisfied with it.
      09-21-2023, 01:32 PM   #82
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Thumbs down

After installing both setups, I would say I prefer the Eventuri plenum, elbow and intake due to fitment. It fits way better. Everything goes together really nicely and fitment is like OEM.

Karbonius elbow is probably the worse fitting intake elbow I've installed and I have probably removed and installed all the popular intake setups.

Fitment is so poor, it's a contact issue, you can't install the elbow without putting pressure on it against the front snorkle piece, and you can't install the front snorkle piece after because there is not enough room with the elbow in place.

I prefer not having to squeeze and put a lot of force on an expensive cf piece that can break at anytime or get scratched up.

I'm sure the preformance is good, but fitment of the elbow/intake specifically gets an F from me.
Appreciate 2
TboneS54989.50
a5m595.00
      09-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #83
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
After installing both setups, I would say I prefer the Eventuri plenum, elbow and intake due to fitment. It fits way better. Everything goes together really nicely and fitment is like OEM.

Karbonius elbow is probably the worse fitting intake elbow I've installed and I have probably removed and installed all the popular intake setups.

Fitment is so poor, it's a contact issue, you can't install the elbow without putting pressure on it against the front snorkle piece, and you can't install the front snorkle piece after because there is not enough room with the elbow in place.

I prefer not having to squeeze and put a lot of force on an expensive cf piece that can break at anytime or get scratched up.

I'm sure the preformance is good, but fitment of the elbow/intake specifically gets an F from me.
Would you say that the Eventuri airbox lid fits just like the stock lid? I’ve been thinking about getting an airbox lid but my experience with 95% of aftermarket stuff has been that there are fitment issues (especially carbon fiber stuff).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #84
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Would you say that the Eventuri airbox lid fits just like the stock lid? I’ve been thinking about getting an airbox lid but my experience with 95% of aftermarket stuff has been that there are fitment issues (especially carbon fiber stuff).
I'm curious to know about this too. I tried the original and a replacement airbox lid from Karbonius and neither fit perfectly. I've been running the stock airbox lid with my current Eventuri setup because I'm too scared to gamble on the Eventuri lid. At least the stock lid somewhat matches the stealth of the matte carbon.

Appreciate 1
Brandoch434.50
      09-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #85
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
I'm curious to know about this too. I tried the original and a replacement airbox lid from Karbonius and neither fit perfectly. I've been running the stock airbox lid with my current Eventuri setup because I'm too scared to gamble on the Eventuri lid. At least the stock lid somewhat matches the stealth of the matte carbon.

Fitment on Eventuri is spot on
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 08:09 AM   #86
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
yea no issues with the eventuri lid.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #87
e90sanmarino
Rep

I had a problem with Eventuri plenum not making induction noise from 4k rpm all the way to redline. I contacted Eventuri and sent them some clips. Turned out the resin on my plenum lid was too thick. I could barely press it down with my fingers. The sound is made by the carbon lid reverberating and mine was hard as a rock lol. Eventuri quickly resolved this and sent me a new one which is much more flexible. Something to look out for if anyone is in the market for one.
Appreciate 1
a5m595.00