BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #1
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Corsa Ceramic Coating

Got a great deal on this system but it was the chrome tip version. Also figured the cans are ugly and hang low so I found a local shop to ceramic coat it. Will update once I get it back.

One question I have, ceramic coating won't change the sound of the exhaust correct? Could not find a definite answer on this but the shop I brought it to assured me it would not. Curious if anyone else could chime in, doing the cans, tips, and rear resonators connected (Whole piece).

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 12:57 AM   #2
Johnny E92
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
Got a great deal on this system but it was the chrome tip version. Also figured the cans are ugly and hang low so I found a local shop to ceramic coat it. Will update once I get it back.

One question I have, ceramic coating won't change the sound of the exhaust correct? Could not find a definite answer on this but the shop I brought it to assured me it would not. Curious if anyone else could chime in, doing the cans, tips, and rear resonators connected (Whole piece).

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Hi I have the same, Im not a fan of shinny exhaust bits other than the tips. I painted mine satin black (other than the tips obviously) never noticed anything different sound wise so wouldn't think ceramic coating would make any noticeable difference either.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Coating will not change the sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

ceramic coat doesnt change the properties of metal

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Coating will not change the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
ceramic coat doesnt change the properties of metal
Even if it's done on the inside? I was told they would coat not only the outside but the inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Ceramic coating is basically just a durable wax protective layer. It is just cosmetic. It will not affect anything else.

I don't know if you are referring to the ceramic coating that is normally applied to car paint. If you are talking about a different ceramic coating then that's different.
      04-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #7
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Ceramic coating is basically just a durable wax protective layer. It is just cosmetic. It will not affect anything else.

I don't know if you are referring to the ceramic coating that is normally applied to car paint. If you are talking about a different ceramic coating then that's different.
I am referring to ceramic coating that is basically a high temperature paint that is used on exhaust parts to reduce heat. For me its really just cosmetic in this case but typically people do it on headers.

https://www.jet-hot.com

Last edited by rjsiciliano; 04-29-2022 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
I am referring to ceramic coating that is basically a high temperature paint that is used on exhaust parts to reduce heat. For me its really just cosmetic in this case but typically people do it on headers.

https://www.jet-hot.com
Ok, then ignore what I wrote. I don't know enough about these coatings on a muffler.

On headers, they generally hold heat in so it increases airflow while reducing underhood temps.
      05-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #9
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
No change
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #10
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Apologies for the delay in updating this thread, ended up getting covid which put a damper on the project. I finally will be putting the exhaust on this week and will snap some pics with it on the car. First impressions it came out great and looks far better than the chrome did.

Last edited by rjsiciliano; 05-18-2022 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0