BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

07-19-2019, 03:15 AM   #1
gavsadler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Gavsadler's 2011 E90 M3 Sedan M-DCT

Hello all,

I've been reading up on this forum for years off-and-on, but now it's time to introduce myself and my new ride.

I'm Gav, based in sunny South Africa. I'm a long-time BMW enthusiast, and have a mini-fleet going on at the moment

I've got a 2007 E87 130i M-Sport, with some subtle additions added to it. It's been a brilliant car for me and love it to bits.

Then for my Mrs, we have a 2011 F25 X3 35i M-Sport, also a great car, doing the family duties on a daily basis, but if I'm alone in the car, it's not shy to entertain dynamically.

Then more recently, I acquired a 2011 E90 (LCI) M3 Sedan M-DCT, Alpine White, 104000kms, and just about fully loaded with extras. It also has some gloss black bits on the outside, and a full Akrapovic Evolution exhaust fitted.

Here's a pic the day I took delivery:

I'll be updating this thread going forward of my experiences with the car.

Also looking forward to making new connections and friends on this forum.

In recent weeks, I've been quite active in the classifieds, and have purchased a few items from good people.

Sadly though, I have also been scammed by one forum user, who goes by the name of "Rav22". I'm not sure if there is a seperate forum to report scam artists?

Anyways, as they say: Karma is a B!tch, so yes I am disappointed it happened, but I will move on.

Cheers for now...
Appreciate 3
Dpc2u11503.00
      07-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #2
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Congratulations on the new addition and welcome!

Unfortunately you are not the only one scammed by that username. There is a thread about it.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Welcome! Post some pics of the E87 as well and more of the M3! Car looks very clean!
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Congrats! Nice E90

I'll be in South Africa in December - I hope to see some bimmers running around

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Clean car, congrats and welcome!
More photos of it/your stable?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Looks good Gav! I'm looking forward to seeing it with the silver ZCP wheels

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:18 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hej Gav, welcome to the forum, car looks great!

Ps. Scammers usually high lighted in the general forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
gavsadler
Private
Rep

I'll be posting lots of updates from our local forum here, just to keep everything in sync...

BMW M3 1000kms review:

Right, so after taking delivery of the car, I made a point of using it daily, for a variety of duties, to see exactly how well it can cope with some day-to-day chores. These trips varied from short trips to the shops, longer trips to work and back, a few workhorse trips (I'll spare the details), as well as some brief spirited drives to induce some grins….

I did about 1000kms in the space of about 2 weeks, emptying 2 tanks of fuel. Here's my first impressions, which I've tried to group into various categories. It's a long read (I'm supressing the closet motoring journalist inside me), as I've also gone into a low level of detail to share as much information as possible about the car.

Exterior:
Visually, it's a special car. Nothing too over the top, but when you start to look closer, the differences begin to pop out. This is fairly easy for an enthusiast to pick up. Starting at the front, the bumper has deeper lower intakes to channel air where it needs to go: feeding the radiator and oil cooler in the centre, the transmission oil cooler on the RHS and on the LHS, the lower intake is a direct feed straight into the airbox. There are also some front splitters fitted, which I am in 2 minds about, mostly because it looks a little too aggressive for my taste, and the black means that the lower part of the bumper gets lost in darker lighting and shadows. I'll still see what happens here…

The bonnet has the now signature M-bulge on top, indicating that what lies beneath is not standard issue 3-series. And it needs it too, because cramming a V8 into this engine bay leaves very little space for anything else, and DIY is going to be 'fun', haha. Also note the bonnet is aluminium to save weight.

The front fenders are also wider (to accommodate the 40mm wider track and bigger wheels and tyres), and made from composite material, most like also due to the weight savings. They have the M-gills in each side as well.

Moving down each side of the car, the doors, together with the bootlid, are the only parts shared with other 3-series models. Nothing to report here. The bespoke wing mirrors have gloss black mirror caps fitted, which does change the look. I might still revert back to stock white caps, as it will highlight the specific design elements of the rest of the mirror structure a little better. To be confirmed…

The side skirts flow backwards into the fat rear quarter panels, also widened and profiled differently to accommodate the 29mm wider rear track and bigger wheels and tyres.

Moving to the back of the car, a bespoke rear bumper has a diffuser-style cut-out in it, which in this case provides a sneak peak at the Akrapovic exhaust hiding behind it. The signature 4-pipe exhaust exits are further complimented by the carbon fibre exhaust tips.

To end off, this car is fitted with 19in Style 359 reps, in Matt Black. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of the black, as the style of the wheel is lost in the dark arches, and with the black tyres, the whole area looks dirty. This is on my to-do list, either to paint the rims, or to look for something else* that tickles my fancy more. (*Subsequent to this review, some changes have happened).

As I said, a great car to look at. It has presence without being overly shouty or in your face. It is an athlete in a business suit. I reckon the size is spot-on, when compared to the more modern cars which are getting bigger and bigger all the time.

Interior:
Stepping inside the car, it's familiar BMW territory. Those who own / have owned one will get comfortable really quickly. The controls and ergonomics are good, and there are still a decent number of buttons, knobs and switches to control essential functions like the radio and climate control. These functions can be operated without taking your eyes off the road, which I'm sure is not the case on more modern cars which have eliminated buttons and replaced with a large touchscreen with a plethora of menus.

The M-specific details inside the cabin are also subtle, and include the instrument cluster with a speedo which is calibrated to 330km/h, and the tachometer with a redline sitting at 8300-8400rpm. This is enough to provide a fairly representative indication of the capabilities of the car, and the fun and excitement waiting to be unlocked. The dash also has a carbon leather trim option, where the standard silver inserts are replaced with leather which has a carbon fibre print on it. The stitching on the borders also creates a premium feel.

The dash also houses an enlarged screen, which comes as part of the Navigation Professional option. This, together with the iDrive controller make navigating through the additional features and menus a relatively simple process. In my opinion, I don't believe this system to be too complex, but I have not had much experience with systems from other manufacturers at this stage. There is also integrated Bluetooth functionality spec'd on this car.

The front seats are also specific to the M-cars, having additional support and bolstering in key places. They are also fully electric, so there should be no issues in finding an optimal driving position. The front seats are not overly bulky, and not racing buckets, so there is still adequate room in the back for kids or adults. It's not cavernous, but is comfortable all things considered.

For this specific car, I may be boring, but I like the black leather interior, coupled with the anthracite roof lining. There is a sunroof for the forthcoming summer mornings to enjoy the sights and sounds even more. Honestly though, my sunroofs stay closed the majority of the time, because the solar panel on my head can only handle so many UV rays at a time before going into limp mode.

Ride quality & handling:
At face value, things do not seem rosy at the outset: performance car, sporty suspension, big low-profile tyres. All of this does not bode well for a comfortable ride, whilst at the other end of the spectrum, this is the recipe for a superb car when pressing on or at a track…

The engineers at BMW M have applied many brain cells in the development of the suspension for this car. The front suspension is bespoke to the M3, and is almost entirely made from aluminium – this saves on weight (both sprung and unsprung). At the rear, it is my understanding that only 1 of the wishbones is shared with other 3 series models. The uniquely tuned settings, together with a very rigid chassis, mean that this car actually rides surprisingly well.

My daily commutes take me across some really old and poorly maintained roads. Where potholes existed before, these have been patched multiple times, only for new potholes to appear next to them. The roads in effect mimic the small cobblestone alleys found in small European towns. Other sections such as the main highways are perfectly smooth (almost). Across these varying road conditions, the car impresses with its ability to cope. The ride is firm, but I don't think as firm as in my 130i. I can't honestly say that I have noticed much tramlining, but will need to drive more to see if it becomes apparent.

There are no funny noises coming from the corners of the car, and everything is solid. I haven't pressed the car much, so can't really comment on high speed ride and handling, but the little bits where I have pressed, it inspires a huge amount of confidence. Feedback is good, and to date I've always felt in control, even when one or 2 passengers were looking for the LHS brake pedal and grabbing the OMG handles on the door and roof.

I was a little curious as to whether the car would be too compromised as a daily driver, but I am pleased to say that this is not the case. Feedback from my wife has also been good, both as a passenger and when she has driven the car herself.

Performance (Engine and Transmission):
Time for the exciting stuff. 4000cc, v8, 8000+rpm rev range, Akrapovic exhaust, DCT box = a recipe for lots of fun. The motor is an engineering masterpiece, BMW sure know how to extract the most out of their engines (well N/A ones at least, the turbo keyboard warriors may beg to differ). Standard these cars produce 309kW and 400Nm at the flywheel. This is improved further with the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system, which is claimed to unlock an additional 16kW and 35Nm (and let's not forget that it weighs 23kg less than the stock exhaust system which it replaces).

This car has been criticized in the media for a lack of low-down torque. I partly agree and partly disagree with this statement. First up, I partly agree, because there is definitely no massive wallop / shove in the back. It pulls, but in a more linear and refined fashion. There are bigger capacity V8s (think from the AMG stable) which produce more torque, or there may be V8s which by the sheer nature of their design / age, feel faster because they sound all rough and aggressive. I think modern motoring has been spoilt by the bucket loads of torque on offer from turbocharged engines, which make everything else seem tame in comparison. On this particular car, the exhaust does help, and I can say that I felt the difference compared to the stock ones I test drove previously. This one feels a little fresher all throughout the rev range. I can almost liken it to driving a N/A car at the coast vs the same car up at the reef. Also there seem to be no issues in terms of tractability at low speeds in the higher gears.

The motor sounds great though, even in stock form. The Akrapovic exhaust takes it to another level though. When initially thinking about this car, I thought this may be a deal breaker, as lots of reviews and feedback from the previous owner all classified as the type of loud which does not make neighbours happy lol. So what are my thoughts? Cold start is loud. The whole car shakes and makes all sorts of noises as secondary air pumps engage to lean out the mixture, which in turn warms up the catalytic converters quicker. It is a bit loud and boomy, but that doesn't last too long. As weird as it may sound, it's not an annoying loud either. But make no mistake, this is not an econobox designed to be as quiet as possible, it is a purposeful machine.

Once on the move, I am also very pleased to report that there is no drone, whether pottering through town, or at highway speeds. The cabin remains a very pleasant place to be in. Open the throttles and the sound turns into something quite spectacular, almost like a Nascar. It's awesome.

I have yet to hear the car from the outside personally, but from the odd YouTube videos I found, it's all smiles. It's great how they have designed this exhaust to still be pleasant and usable in day-to-day driving, whilst still offering the full performance benefits and aural delights when there is an opportunity to open the taps. Many reviews overseas have confirmed this, and as expensive as this system is, most agree that the R&D that went into the design to make it so accomplished justify the costs. Personally, I love to just plod along at part throttle openings, listening to the exhaust pulses as the go through the headers into the rest of the system. It reminds me of 2 cars: the E46 M for it's raspiness, and strangely enough my Dad's old Ford Sapphire Ghia (3l v6 fuel injected).

Moving on to the gearbox, again a great piece of engineering. I was surprised about how smooth it was after reading many reviews stating it was clunky and nowhere near as good as the 8-speed auto. In my opinion they are actually very close indeed. When everything is cold in the mornings, the box does want to hang on to the lower gears a little longer, in which case I choose to manually upshift using the paddles to keep the engine revs below 2000rpm. Once things warm up, then I am happy to leave the box to it's own devices.

Speaking of, there is a little switch in the transmission tunnel which allows you to change the speed of the shifts. Level 1 is also known as winter mode, where changes are a bit lethargic, and there is more slippage of the clutches allowed. Level 2-5 is for normal driving conditions, with 2 being the default setting, and the driver can change it to level 5 for much faster shifts (downshifts are accompanied by rev matching / throttle blipping which makes you sound like a proper racecar driver). There is also a level 6 setting, which is apparently the fastest of fast shifts, but this is only available if you switch off the DSC (which I have not done yet).

Pottering through city traffic and the daily highway grind, I can't say I have noticed that the box is exceptionally clunky at all. It goes about it's business without fuss. Maybe if I have to nit pick, at very small throttle openings it is possible to catch out the gearbox, where it is not sure whether it wants to be in first or second gear, but those instances are few and far between.

General:
Overall, this is an exciting car. I've spoken at length about some of the technical aspects, and there are definitely a bunch of other things which deserve a mention, maybe these will come in future updates.

To end off, am I glad I bought the car? Yes and No. Yes because it's a dream car of mine, and I am blessed and fortunate (or rather unfortunate) to have been in a position to make it happen. On the No side – it is expensive on a monthly basis, over and above the maintenance and upkeep that it will require. That being said, other than the bearings issue, everything else is pretty much the standard kind of maintenance you would do on any other vehicle (the catch here is that parts come with M-tax). Things like brakes and tyres are also a daunting prospect come replacement time, but I say to myself that I generally have a lot of mechanical sympathy, so wear and tear items generally last longer for me than they would for other individuals.

I will almost certainly continue to benchmark this car against the 130i and X3, from a financial perspective (whether its worth the premium), from a performance perspective (is it too much as a daily driver), and from a practicality perspective. But, I am on this journey now, so let's see where it takes me…

Thanks for reading, I know it's a lot, but I wanted to have my say overall about the car. In future updates I will share some of the changes I've made, plans for the car going forward, events attended and of course continuous feedback about how the car behaves as a daily. My plan is to daily the car to 200,000kms over the next 10 years. Let's see if that's feasible.
Until next time….
Appreciate 4
zhan28109.50
Space Fox1042.00
      08-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Amazing write-up! Glad it lived up to your expectations.

One thing I'd recommend that would drastically improve the car will the OEM GTS dct tune or the Dinan dct tune, this made the car feel much much better overall.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Good stuff! Enjoy the miles ahead!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
that_m3_dude
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3

welcome!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

No news here, but nice write up!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #13
gavsadler
Private
Rep

Time to do some updates to bring things current smile bounce

Going back to mid-june, here's some pics the day I collected. Late afternoon shadows don't do much justice to the lines and black bits on the car (which is sucky IMO)

Then on day 2 of ownership, whilst leaving the ignition on to check service schedules, any faults and so on, I was greeted with a low battery warning. Subsequent drives also showed that if leaving the ignition on for approx. 1min, then the warning pops up, and the car automatically shuts down after approx. 2mins. Even connecting the trickle charger for 1.5 days solid didn't change this, so I suspect the battery (almost 3 years old) is not so lekker due to the electronics in the car, and the fact that it stood for fairly long periods of time between drives.

Here's a video of the warning (1min mark), and when the car automatically shuts down after 2mins:

https://youtu.be/g3SCJbiLxKk

So, whilst the car was connected to the trickle charger:

I decided to scratch around a little bit under the bonnet:

BMC drop-in filter installed, no complaints from my side:

Here's the inlet from the filter to the tube which leads to the intake plenum, rectangular in shape, with some odd curves in places (on my long-term list to do a few changes here):

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/uploads...3015493711.jpg

I also sourced some spare wheel nuts which I chemically cleaned, with the plans to paint them black:

And to end off: a night shot of the instrument cluster, I am quite fond of the lighting (and other lighting on the car in general):

Here's a quick iPhone video of the cold start and idle:

https://youtu.be/E-pPU1dSbCw

And here's a small 2nd gear squirt on a slippery downhill:

https://youtu.be/TxRXaVj4drU

The first tank I drove very carefully on purpose, to see what somewhat hopeful fuel consumption figure I can get in future. This was probably my typical driving style, and included about 60% highway and 40% town driving. What's somewhat alarming at first is when the fuel reserve warning comes on with 1/4 tank still to go!

First tank fuel consumption:

In the car's previous life, it has had some cosmetic work done. Overall the end-result is positive, although there are clear signs where shortcuts were taken / where whoever worked on the car was less talented in strip and assembly than what is desired (more about this later on).

The 2 front plastic jack blocks were missing, so I organised some through Deago@ABM (thanks mate).

The location where the jack blocks clip into the chassis:

Some leftovers of one of the missing jack blocks:

New jack blocks installed, and testing out with the proper rubber inserts for use with a trolley jack etc:

Whilst at ABM, I also acquired a new set of locking wheel bolts (for preservation of my future plans):

Moving to the back of the car, there were also some minor niggles which were troubling my mild OCD.

Missing cover for one of the screws holding on the bumper skin:

And the bolts to hold the bootlid onto the boot hinges were faaar from OEM:

So in one of my trips to a local scrappy, I sourced a replacement cover and some white OEM bolts:

In doing this, I also did some minor adjustments to the bootlid to get it to align a little better to the rear quarter panels, lights and bumper. I still need to touch up on the bolts where some paint chipped off, but will get to that soon.
Oh, I also forgot to add, about a week after getting the car, I went to visit Gert from OBDWorx to cut and code a new spare key for the car (only had 1 key at time of purchase).

Thanks to Gert for the hospitality and great service Thumbs
Moving back to the front of the car, as mentioned earlier, I have not been such a fan of all the black bits on the car. This includes the front splitters. For sure it looks aggressive and intimidating and racey, but quite frankly, it doesn't really fit with my personality in that I like to keep a relatively low profile.

So I decided to get busy removing them. This was before removal:

And after removing one side:

And after removing both sides:

What's also good to know is that these are the genuine OEM Performance bits:

Mixed emotions as to why the beautiful carbon fibre was painted over, but anyway. (I stand to be corrected in case these were wrapped, I honestly didn't spend too much time looking at them further)

I actually prefer the clean front-end. To me, the front bumper looks wider now that the lower white sections are exposed again. That being said, these will go into a box for safe-keeping, and maybe at some point in the future I will try them out again. I've seen some other ideas too which may work well, but all in good time...

Whilst scratching under the front of the bumper, I garnered a look at the splash tray, which has also had a few beatings in it's life, and some attempted fixes:

This is also on my to-do list at some point to sort out properly, which most likely means a replacement part.

My curiosity also extended to the gloss black mirror caps, so I pulled these off, and also pleased to report that they are OEM carbon fibre bits. I think they have been painted gloss black though (unless also wrapped? - TBC).
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #14
gavsadler
Private
Rep

Whilst all the above was happening, I secretly had something else in the works as well. One of my biggest risks and causes of stress I've committed to in a long time. Sitting on eggs for 29 days, wondering if the deal would be successful is not good for one's health, and to say I was losing sleep about things is an understatement.

Shortly after getting the car, plans were set in motion for a wheel change. The rims fitted to the car are Style 359 Competition reps, painted in matt black. In keeping with my intentions to de-black the car a bit, I did consider getting these wheels refurbished and painted back to hyper silver.

Sadly though, I have a disease whereby I gravitate to all things OEM, and I knew that I would never be fully satisfied knowing that there are awesome OEM 359s out there. It also didn’t help that the other cars I had looked at around the same time were also white, and Competition models with the 359s as standard, so I knew exactly how the car would look in the flesh. The bug had bitten, the itch had started….

Looking locally, there were a couple of sets of Style 219s and 220s, but no 359s. Those in the trade also mentioned that they are pretty much hen's teeth to find used, if at all (given that they only came on 2 models, the E82 1M and the 2009-2012 M3 Competition)

So I extended my search globally, knowing that should I happen to find a set, I will haemorrhage on the shipping costs, not to mention import duties and taxes. I ended up chatting with a few people in both the States and in the UK, but various factors meant that it was difficult to close out a deal.

Then, a couple of weeks later, I managed to strike a deal with a guy all the way in San Francisco, California, and so a set of 359s began the 17,500km journey to South Africa. The wheels were packaged up and sent via road freight from California to New York, and from there via Air Freight to SA. Thankfully, the company I use for shipping stuff from overseas was kind enough to offer me quite a significant discount on the normal fees, which is what made the transaction somewhat feasible.

Fast forward 29 days from when we did the deal, and early in August, a couple of big boxes arrived at my door:

Happy happy happy! And even more so - relief! Everything had worked out just fine. Thanks to the seller in CA for being honest and truthful about everything, and for also answering all my questions and going out of his way to assist a fellow enthusiast from the other side of the world.

During my overseas shopping, I also sourced some other goodies.

A set of brand new OEM carbon fibre mirror covers came up for sale at a reasonable price, so decided to splurge on these too. (This was also before I discovered that the car has carbon fibre covers fitted currently, even though they are gloss black. These are still packed away nicely, will see if I end up fitting them, or if my quest to make things plain Jane white will continue...

I also ended up purchasing a replacement gear kit for the throttle body actuators. I had done plenty of enquiries with fellow enthusiasts, reading forum threads and watching youtube videos during my nights of insomnia. There are a few different kits out there, some are the gears only, and other sets like these include a replacement shaft. More details on this in a future update...

So, after unpacking all the goodies, I decided to give the wheels a quick clean up, and get them ready to have the tyres swapped across. I finished well after sunset, but couldn't resist a pic with them all shiny:

Appreciate 2
      08-21-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
gavsadler
Private
Rep

I arranged with my brother-in-law to get the tyres swapped over for me. This went smoothly, and the new rims do not have any cracks or buckles. That's great news for me, meaning I don't have to do anything to them right now. There is some curb rash and some scratches on the rims here and there, but nothing too bad that can't wait for a bit. Most likely when these tyres are KO, I'll get the wheels refurbished before fitting new tyres.

So the M was pulled into my backyard service bay, as there were a few things to attend to.

Here's some pics when we jacked it up to put it on trestles. Notice how stiff the car is. Jacking up at either the front or the back lifts the whole side of the car:

And then after swapping over the tyres (and doing some other maintenance items), the new wheels went on, and here's some sneak pics of the final product (still dusty and bad lighting):

I am very pleased with the outcome! Seeing it done and dusted makes the stress and worry worth it.

Time to geek out again with some specs on the wheels:

359 Reps:

Front = 8.5J x19 et34
Rear = 9.5J x19 et37

359 OEM:

Front = 9J x 19 et31
Rear = 10J x 19 et25

So in summary, the OEM wheels are wider than the reps, and have a lower offset = more concave = more yum yum. While we were joking around, we were debating whether its more like a J Lo rear end, or a Mariah Carey, but I guess that comes down to personal preference (I'm in the J Lo corner lol)

More updates coming soon, just need to sort through some more pics...
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #16
vitalsigns
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice job. Car looks great with the silver OEM 359 rims. I also much prefer the no-splitter look, which to my eyes looks more aggressive. The bumper design seems to get lost on lighter colored cars with splitters installed. Sometimes less is more, and this is one instance where that is true.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

11.6L/100km, damn thats low! (even if you'll find out the gauge to lie about one liter short).

Congrats on the 359s, post some close ups on the "ZCP love" thread..
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

alpine white e90.. mmmmmm
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #19
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Nice touches!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #20
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
11.6L/100km, damn thats low! (even if you'll find out the gauge to lie about one liter short).

Congrats on the 359s, post some close ups on the "ZCP love" thread..
I usually sit around 15-16L/100km haha, 11.6 must have been mostly highway mixed with crazy slow granny driving
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
I usually sit around 15-16L/100km haha, 11.6 must have been mostly highway mixed with crazy slow granny driving
Still a bit of an hero mate! Never achieved better than 13 isch even during high way driving, down hill with both wind and sun in the neck! Around 15.5 over 5.5y ownership though so certainly not bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
gavsadler
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the compliments guys, so far it's been quite fun.

While my brother-in-law was busy cleaning off the hubs to fit the new rims, he noticed a few funnies. There were a couple of bolts and screws missing from the fender liners, bumper and splash tray. Also, once the said missing screws were fitted, the bumper was still a bit droopy in the front, almost like it was only hanging on the top screws. So we made the call to remove the splash tray and fender liners to see what's what.

I alluded to it in an earlier post, where whoever worked on the car did a good job visually, but in terms of reassembly of the parts, shortcuts were taken. Once the fender liners were off, we noticed that the LHS bracket which stabilises the bumper behind the stiffener was only (barely) fastened on the chassis side, and not attached to the bumper at all. Moving to the RHS of the car, the transmission oil cooler was also being held on with 2 of the 4 required bolts, so in effect it was flapping around like an elephants ear.

So... after a quick chat, we decided to fix things properly....

Time to make lots of BMW puzzle pieces:

The car was also full of residual 'white water' dribbles and stains all over the black stuff (from prior spray work and cleaning), so in the pics above, all this mess was cleaned off.

Once the bumper was off, we attended to the loose bracket and secured the transmission oil cooler. Then we noticed as well that the RHS headlight was only attached with 2 of 4 screws. So we sorted this out as well.

2 afternoon's worth of work later and everything was sorted and put back together. It's just annoying how so much stuff was not attached properly. Surely when these chaps clean up after a job and find spare parts they must scratch their heads a bit??? Maybe I'm expecting too much.
Appreciate 2
FMLYSDN1179.50