BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #67
rcornelius
Faster
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe Melbourne Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharo7390 View Post
I was tracking my 08 m3 the other day and ran out of gas. I got the car going again but I am seeing the engine light on still. Also, its not performing as well as before. Does anyone have any idea about this? Would this be covered under warranty?
One question. When you filled the M3 back up, did you continue to put fuel in all the way to the top of the fuel neck???? If you did this, the most probable cause to your engine light being on is due to a vapor lock. Happens when you over fill cars with fuel injection; Once you have driven the car a bit (as to where the fuel level is below the F mark) then stop the car shut down the engine and open the gas cap. You may hear a pressure relief; regardless put the cap back on tight and continue to drive. Normally within about a min or so the light goes off. I did not run out of gas, but did over fill my M3 and that was all that was done to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #68
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

What the hell is going on? There appears to be two conversations going on here. One about an old post regarding fuel and another one about bashing each other. Talk about multi-tasking!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #69
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pkg Only
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
What the hell is going on? There appears to be two conversations going on here. One about an old post regarding fuel and another one about bashing each other. Talk about multi-tasking!
Just a difference of opinions. We'll just try to stay on topic, the owners manual recomends not driving with much less than a 30 mile range of fuel in the tank, as it may cause damage to the engine, let alone run out of gas. I don't think this is too unreasonable, others feel this is an indication of a 'shitty' car. Everyone is entitled to their opinions....
      07-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #70
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Just a difference of opinions. We'll just try to stay on topic, the owners manual recomends not driving with much less than a 30 mile range of fuel in the tank, as it may cause damage to the engine, let alone run out of gas. I don't think this is too unreasonable, others feel this is an indication of a 'shitty' car. Everyone is entitled to their opinions....
Typically, you get the gas warning at 60 miles (100km) to go, which is about the 1/2 tank point because at 7.5 mpg you only get 120 miles per full tank. You hit the "30 mile limit" point at 1/4 tank, somewhat sooner than BMW probably intended when they wrote the manual.

In the end, though, accidents happen. Running a high-pressure fuel-injected OBD-II engine out of gas is never a good thing. It can cause a variety of damage as the sensors fight to compensate for the increasing lean condition.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #71
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE

Great thread.
      07-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #72
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pkg Only
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Typically, you get the gas warning at 60 miles (100km) to go, which is about the 1/2 tank point because at 7.5 mpg you only get 120 miles per full tank. You hit the "30 mile limit" point at 1/4 tank, somewhat sooner than BMW probably intended when they wrote the manual.

In the end, though, accidents happen. Running a high-pressure fuel-injected OBD-II engine out of gas is never a good thing. It can cause a variety of damage as the sensors fight to compensate for the increasing lean condition.
I have never had the light come on with 1/2 a tank remaining. My first warning comes on closer to 1/4 tank. Then it will continue to come on each time I start the car until I refuel. Of course, the 7.5mpg scenario doesn't really happen to me in everyday driving. So do you think the warning light comes on earlier if you are averaging 7.5mpg? Anybody else know how the range calculates and re-calculates? Seems like with have a tank left the range will depend on how you drive from that point on? Inquiring minds want to know....
      07-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #73
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
I have never had the light come on with 1/2 a tank remaining. My first warning comes on closer to 1/4 tank. Then it will continue to come on each time I start the car until I refuel. Of course, the 7.5mpg scenario doesn't really happen to me in everyday driving.
Same here

Quote:
So do you think the warning light comes on earlier if you are averaging 7.5mpg? Anybody else know how the range calculates and re-calculates? Seems like with have a tank left the range will depend on how you drive from that point on? Inquiring minds want to know....
I think it calculates range based on a moving average fuel consumption of the last 30kms. That's what I read somewhere (can't remember where though) and it makes sense to me after I have been observing milage recalculation. Recalculation interval seems to happen every few (1-2) kms or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #74
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
This car goes through gas pretty quickly a the track. I was getting 5.9 mpg on one day of track running.

Also, 3 times in my 16 months of ownership I've put more than 16.6 gallons in my car with no ill effects. The engine never sputtered though.

No sediment will ever build up if you frequently take the gas level low.
      07-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #75
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
I have never had the light come on with 1/2 a tank remaining. My first warning comes on closer to 1/4 tank. Then it will continue to come on each time I start the car until I refuel. Of course, the 7.5mpg scenario doesn't really happen to me in everyday driving. So do you think the warning light comes on earlier if you are averaging 7.5mpg? Anybody else know how the range calculates and re-calculates? Seems like with have a tank left the range will depend on how you drive from that point on? Inquiring minds want to know....
Mine came on (low range warning and the chime) with a half tank remaining at an open lapping day last year. It hasn't happened this year but my car's software has been updated, so maybe it only happens with the older software (mine's a Feb 08 build).

I was surprised because there was lots of fuel in the tank, but the warning was "100km to go" or something like that. It gets even more insistent at 50km and so I did a few more laps and called it a day - there wasn't time to leave, get gas, and return before the day was over anyway.

This year, I take three 5.3 gallon (20 liter) gas cans to the track so I don't have to leave. After a typical open lapping day I'll have burned the full tank I arrived with plus most of the additional 16 gallons in the cans. Average consumption the last time out was 30 liters/100km or 7.8 mpg for the day and I covered 340km or about 210 miles.

In regular driving, I don't let the tank run below about 1/4 tank. The car doesn't get a lot of use and it's better to store it with a full tank than an empty one.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #76
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

Gas= Go. Zen for the day.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #77
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport

While the situation for the OP has likely been resolved, I'll give my 2 cents.

First, the "service engine soon" warning light most likely came on due to the DME detecting misfires as the fuel ran out. These fault codes will remain stored in the DME until they are cleared by a tester, but the warning light will usually go out on it's own after several drive cycles.

Next, it is never a good idea to run any car low or run out of fuel. I yell at my girlfriend all the time for doing this to her E46. When the tank is low you run the risk of sucking up debris on the bottom of the tank and potentially damaging the fuel pump. The fuel filter is after the pump, but the pump has a mesh screen in the pick-up area that helps protect it from large particles. If the tank is run low on a regular basis, this mesh screen will likely clog up faster which could cause fuel delivery issues down the road. If the tank runs completely dry, that is also bad for the pump for obvious reasons. The pump uses fuel for lubrication, and no fuel = no lubrication = bad for fuel pump.

While running out of fuel is not a good thing to do, BMW does have some protection systems in place if it does happen. I am assuming the S65 has a "catalyst protection mode", similar to what the S54 had. When the tank is very low and the oxygen sensors detect a lean condition under hard acceleration, the DME will limit power to protect the engine and prevent overheating of the catalytic converters.