BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #21891
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92BMW///M3 View Post
Anyone ever use a bluetooth tire pressure/temperature gauge? Amazon sells a few different brands but never heard this discussed so I assume there’s probably a reason given how ‘easy’ this solution seems for the price.
I use them on my trailer with the display on the dash of my truck. For that purpose they are really nice.

I think if you want something that could be trusted on a track car you'd be looking at the options from AIM, and they are $€£€$$
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #21892
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
I use them on my trailer with the display on the dash of my truck. For that purpose they are really nice.
What brand do you use? I need a set
      08-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #21893
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Quote:
What brand do you use? I need a set
Tymate M7-3. It reads consistently high by 2 lbs against my longacre gauge, so I just keep that in mind. Otherwise, works well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 05:24 PM   #21894
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
I think if you want something that could be trusted on a track car
Thanks, interested what you mean by trusted? As in the data quality is poor? Concerns over it getting tossed off the car?

I’m certainly far from a track car and really just curious as to peak temperatures/pressures. Certainly not looking to spend a ton of $ given my use case.

I put PS4S on my fronts (from PS2) so it was the first time having PS4S all around and I dropped over a second on a 47s lap on Lime Rocks AutoX course, so I was pretty excited given my level of experience. Next session after ~4 laps the tires got really slippery and I struggled to get into the 47s the rest Of the day. By the time I got into the pit (which is really just the staging for going out, so not necessarily anywhere consistent ), walked over to my gear, brought my gauge back to the car and measured temps it was probably 7 mins since I came off the track so not sure exactly what the peak PSI was. also curious as to the temperature that caused this since it made the rest of the day pretty lousy since I don’t think the tires every really cooled down fully. If these aren’t the answer (seems the case as I assumed), I’ll just remember to keep my pressure gauge in the car or figure out where to keep my stuff that is easier to get to quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #21895
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, interested what you mean by trusted? As in the data quality is poor? Concerns over it getting tossed off the car?

I'm certainly far from a track car and really just curious as to peak temperatures/pressures. Certainly not looking to spend a ton of $ given my use case.

I put PS4S on my fronts (from PS2) so it was the first time having PS4S all around and I dropped over a second on a 47s lap on Lime Rocks AutoX course, so I was pretty excited given my level of experience. Next session after ~4 laps the tires got really slippery and I struggled to get into the 47s the rest Of the day. By the time I got into the pit (which is really just the staging for going out, so not necessarily anywhere consistent ), walked over to my gear, brought my gauge back to the car and measured temps it was probably 7 mins since I came off the track so not sure exactly what the peak PSI was. also curious as to the temperature that caused this since it made the rest of the day pretty lousy since I don't think the tires every really cooled down fully. If these aren't the answer (seems the case as I assumed), I'll just remember to keep my pressure gauge in the car or figure out where to keep my stuff that is easier to get to quickly.
These won't record temps or psi, so unless your eyes are focused on the little display you're not going to be able to go back and see peak anything.

Im not sure if they can handle track temps? They were made for trailer tires that see 95-100 degree temps at highway speeds.

If you want to give them a shot, I don't think they'll do any harm.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 06:47 PM   #21896
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm certainly far from a track car and really just curious as to peak temperatures/pressures. Certainly not looking to spend a ton of $ given my use case.

I put PS4S on my fronts (from PS2) so it was the first time having PS4S all around and I dropped over a second on a 47s lap on Lime Rocks AutoX course, so I was pretty excited given my level of experience. Next session after ~4 laps the tires got really slippery and I struggled to get into the 47s the rest Of the day. By the time I got into the pit (which is really just the staging for going out, so not necessarily anywhere consistent ), walked over to my gear, brought my gauge back to the car and measured temps it was probably 7 mins since I came off the track so not sure exactly what the peak PSI was. also curious as to the temperature that caused this since it made the rest of the day pretty lousy since I don't think the tires every really cooled down fully. If these aren't the answer (seems the case as I assumed), I'll just remember to keep my pressure gauge in the car or figure out where to keep my stuff that is easier to get to quickly.
These won't record temps or psi, so unless your eyes are focused on the little display you're not going to be able to go back and see peak anything.

Im not sure if they can handle track temps? They were made for trailer tires that see 95-100 degree temps at highway speeds.

Trailbrake.com has TPMS system that connects via CAN to AIM. It's $250 and works great. You'll need a dash or something more substantial than a SOLO tho to capture data or display.
      08-15-2022, 08:07 AM   #21897
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Trailbrake.com has TPMS system that connects via CAN to AIM. It's $250 and works great. You'll need a dash or something more substantial than a SOLO tho to capture data or display.
Could never get mine to work. Where did you mount the receiver?
      08-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #21898
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mounted it where radio unit used to be. The CAN signals were labeled incorrectly, and once I reversed Hi/Low it worked. Needed a second CAN input harness for the dash as the primary is used by the car.
      08-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #21899
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mounted it where radio unit used to be. The CAN signals were labeled incorrectly, and once I reversed Hi/Low it worked. Needed a second CAN input harness for the dash as the primary is used by the car.
Trailbrake TPMS has been working great for me as well. I have a screen programed for the 4 corners and I can switch to it to see PSI in real time (sample is 1Hz)

I can do the same for temp, but i did not want too many screens to flip through.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:07 PM   #21900
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

Best option for mounting a sub belt? Roll bar on order.. PCI seat mount. They dont really offer a true sub belt mounting point.
      08-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #21901
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
I assume you're talking degrees F? My trailer tires saw higher temps than this sitting at the storage yard in Vegas. Towing in summer I was in the high 160's-170's (deg F).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #21902
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Just ordered my Ohlins R&T kit
DrFerry6722.50
derbo3592.00
      08-15-2022, 09:21 PM   #21903
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Through 3dm?
      08-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #21904
Bimmer Barney
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Quote:
Through 3dm?
Yep 👍🏼
      08-15-2022, 10:36 PM   #21905
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Quote:
Through 3dm?
Yep 👍🏼
Nice! I just reached out to Barry to give the F80 the same treatment.
      08-15-2022, 11:42 PM   #21906
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Another vote for the trailbrake tpms. I had the valve system installed but now I kinda wish I had the ones I could rotate around as I rotate my tires.

The only challenge I've had is pushing the data to my smarty cam setup given the lame limitation of types and number of channels avail.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #21907
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Bringing back to the talk of coolant mixes. Finally powered up my data laptop and even after a 45 min session with logger temps of 113 degs my coolant averaged 202 F. This was with majority distilled + full bottle of wetter + a tiny bit of oem coolant.

This was all during the peak Texas summer, end of July, which would be the true test of any cooling system!

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 5
slcook541859.50
b4hand661.00
///Mobbin1474.50
      08-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #21908
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

How do most guys with rear wings have underside reinforced?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #21909
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
Bringing back to the talk of coolant mixes. Finally powered up my data laptop and even after a 45 min session with logger temps of 113 degs my coolant averaged 202 F. This was with majority distilled + full bottle of wetter + a tiny bit of oem coolant.

This was all during the peak Texas summer, end of July, which would be the true test of any cooling system!
Wow, that's running very cool. Impressive!
Upgraded rad?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:06 PM   #21910
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!
      08-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #21911
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:

Is this with Tony's S54 cooling setup? Just curious, we will shakedown ours in October at Buttonwillow.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #21912
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
How do most guys with rear wings have underside reinforced?
what wing are you planning to run? most of the time for the larger bigger wings, i just cut a small piece of 1/8th or 1/16th thick aluminum sheet to reinforce under trunk panel where the wing stands would be.

if you're using the GTS V1/2 OR M235IR wing the cylinder tubes work well, just reinforce the area around the tube with JB weld or just tack weld them into place.
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs540.50