BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

01-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
SAP 2000? the structural analysis program?
I think he meant SAP as in Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing. It's usually a really complicated suite of applications that run your whole company. Consultants in this field make lots of dough.
      01-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
JRJ1970
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
No, that would be bad. You don't lose your 401k if you get laid off, and you are taxed heavily on it if you take it out early. but you were probably joking
Am! I'm safe for a bit with my regular savings. Not worried....
      01-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #25
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
Are more worried about losing their jobs than getting a new car or new parts for their car?

Is it me or does it seem like the people on this board are in a bubble compared to everyone I talk with in person. Everyday I hear about someone losing part of their salary or losing a job.

Is there that many people here who live with Mom and Dad?
I haven't lived with Mom and Dad for 17 years now, but I do see them regularly, they babysit my daughter.

I saved up a bunch of money and bought my car with cash, so I have no payments of any kind to worry about. That and I'm saving as much money as I can (which is hard with a new baby, but I try my best).

With regards to worrying about losing my job, I'm not too worried; however, if it happens, I have marketable skills and a pretty good resume so I'm sure I'll land on my feet. That said, though, I'm definitely curtailing any unnecessary expenses during this time, so my car is going to remain bone stock for a while.
      01-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #26
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

My question is anyone building a house right now??
      01-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #27
Bilka
Captain
Rep
Drives: M440 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
My question is anyone building a house right now??
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

My point is not to discuss the economy but rather I wonder why this board seems less concerned about it than other boards. People on here still seem like they spending money like it is going out of style. I see people dropping 3k-5k on wheels still during a time when that is not a good idea overall. If you are wealthy than I say you got that way by being smart. Which means buying cars and car accessories during a recession is not the best move with your extra money. I think there are more young people leasing these cars than other similar rides. That leads to "who cares" spending.

If you live with Mom or Dad and don't have a mortgage or two than buying some car parts probably makes sense.(not really but in some people's minds it does).

The point of this is maybe this is the time to hold onto your money rather than buying that new big screen or chrome rims fellas.
      01-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #29
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
You can take my big screen from my cold, dead fingers.
      01-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #30
Mehale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I personally am scared and think about it daily. I'm a 23 year old young adult, that just started working about a year ago. Although my job is secure working at a Berkshire Hathaway company you never know what can happen. I have saved up hard to put a solid downpayment on my 2007 335i and still make rather large monthly payments (large payments for a 23 year old at least). If I lost my job, I would not be able to cut it with car payments.

I am absolutely in love with my car and driving it through the week is what brings me the most joy. If I lost my job, the first plan is a way to financially support my car payments.

Yes, i'm worried about it and think about my car purchase daily.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #31
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
My point is not to discuss the economy but rather I wonder why this board seems less concerned about it than other boards. People on here still seem like they spending money like it is going out of style. I see people dropping 3k-5k on wheels still during a time when that is not a good idea overall. If you are wealthy than I say you got that way by being smart. Which means buying cars and car accessories during a recession is not the best move with your extra money. I think there are more young people leasing these cars than other similar rides. That leads to "who cares" spending.

If you live with Mom or Dad and don't have a mortgage or two than buying some car parts probably makes sense.(not really but in some people's minds it does).

The point of this is maybe this is the time to hold onto your money rather than buying that new big screen or chrome rims fellas.

Not sure what you consider young, but I'm 28, and bought my car with cash.
I own a house and run a business and work hard! (Not working as hard as I should be since discovering this forum, lol)

My point is: not all young BMW drivers are stupid, reckless, spoiled brats!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #32
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Of Course I'm worried like most others are... But you're dead a long time, so why drive a shit box? That's just my outlook!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:

Well, some of us are spending well below their means, and have done so even during the go go days of 2001-2006. So for some of us, getting a BMW or getting some accessories for it is OK.

But I do agree with the OP that its best to review one's spending habits to remove excess.

Last edited by Bimmerista; 01-27-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #34
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Quote:

This is pretty much subjective and I am sure there are millions of rich/middle class people in the country.

Back to the topic.

Not worried about my job... but I AM WORRIED ABOUT MY H1-VISA!!!

I have been working for awhile, have saved up, and actually just bought my first place last year. I have a mortgage, no car payment (bought my E92 with cash), and working.

Now, with all the economic downturns, and I am applying for my H1 this year... I am worried about... not getting my visa.. and not loosing my job..

(I'm from Canada)..

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #35
g2artist
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I own my own company and it is still doing well thank goodness.
But I am part of the computer industry with a product called SAP which is not going anywhere anytime soon.....
Now I am going to go find some wood to knock on....
God, I use SAP at my work and I wish you guys WOULD go under so we dont have to use it anymore............Horrible stuff
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #36
acecars
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Most here and most on all auto-related message boards are young men with secure jobs in high tech.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #37
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecars View Post
Most here and most on all auto-related message boards are young men with secure jobs in high tech.
No such thing as a secure job in high tech. More like our skills are transferable, thereby making our employment prospects more secure, on the whole, than a person that mounts sprockets on widgets for a living.
      01-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #38
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecars View Post
Talk about living in a bubble!

I canceled my M3 order as I decided money in savings is much better than money spent these days. I know many people like the ones on earlier posts who claimed their jobs are secure, not going anywhere & etc trying to make a fat car payment while collecting unemployment and trying to sell everything at a huge loss to get out of payments these days.....But hey, their jobs were rock solid 2 months ago! I seem to be one of the very few people who saves up 1st and then buy whatever I need. Buying a new car right now just did not seem logical..... My car fund is there and will be put to good use when times are a bit better.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #39
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
No such thing as a secure job in high tech. More like our skills are transferable, thereby making our employment prospects more secure, on the whole, than a person that mounts sprockets on widgets for a living.
Very well put.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #40
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Is it me or does it seem like the people on this board are in a bubble compared to everyone I talk with in person. Everyday I hear about someone losing part of their salary or losing a job.
Whenever I'm sick of stuff at work, I hop in here and read the posts. That always cheers me up

Today I started thinking about moving to a different company, in Europe. I believe I've got my house and car thought out, right now I need to learn more about the place itself. I've got about till end of the year to start the process, so there's still quite some time left to decide... It's the economic crisis, most people stay put in school, there could be good pickings out there
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #41
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I think he meant SAP as in Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing. It's usually a really complicated suite of applications that run your whole company. Consultants in this field make lots of dough.
I think he means the german applications company SAP - www.sap.com

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #42
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

A Different Perspective

Quote:
Is there that many people here who live with Mom and Dad?
No, I don't believe that it is a case of posters living at home with their Mom & Dad. That said, it's probably true a significant number of posters...

a) Can count on their parents as a fall back position in case their personal economic situation became dire.
b) Which is an option because they are unmarried and do not have any children.

All I can tell you is this. If you were born after 1972, you really don't have any personal experience of what a significant recession will mean, if not for you personally, for pretty much everyone else around you.

Unless the pundits are wrong, it looks like all of us are going to get first-hand experience in the next 6 to 12 months. That said, it can't last forever, and the US should bounce back before Europe.

Right about the time for the launch of the next-gen 3!

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod

Last edited by cgpublic; 01-27-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Added a 3!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #43
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
I think he means the german applications company SAP - www.sap.com
I think you are both talking about the same thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
No, I don't believe that it is a case of posters living at home with their Mom & Dad. That said, it's probably true a significant number of posters...

a) Can count on their parents as a fall back position in case their personal economic situation became dire.
b) Which is an option because they are unmarried and do not have any children.

All I can tell you is this. If you were born after 1972, you really don't have any personal experience of what a significant recession will mean, if not for you personally, for pretty much everyone else around you.

Unless the pundits are wrong, it looks like all of us are going to get first-hand experience in the next 6 to 12 months. That said, it can't last forever, and the US should bounce back before Europe.

Right about the time for the launch of the next-gen 3!

Oh how I wish I was born after 1972............................

And yes, this too shall pass.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #44
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Don't you know that most people who post on this board are kids??? You see a lot of reference to their dad, mom, parents, etc... Take a look at the age threads and you'll see how old they are.
Appreciate 0