BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Friend has an iDrive problem on his '09 M3

Hey all.

My friend has an '09 M3 coupe, Interlagos Blue/black interior, 6MT, tech package, premium, with the new iDrive. Great car!

However, he's having a strange issue with the iDrive. From day one, he's always seen these shopping cart icons on his nav map. No matter what he does, he can't get rid of these things.

He just finished his 1200 mile fluids change at the dealership and told the tech there about the problem. Their claim: "cannot reproduce problem." No duh, they were in the garage, out of satellite range.

Any ideas on what's going on, and more importantly, how to fix it?

I'm going to cross-post this.
      12-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

Well,
This is a feature of the Navigation.
It remembers the icon of the last category which you searched. So, lets say that you searched for a hotel. The next time you switch on your car or map, it will show all the available hotel icons. So, I guess that your friend was searching for some grocery shopping and then it just happens that the icons appear because of the number of shops around his area.

See for yourself, let him search for a gas station and the next time the system is on again, it will show gas station signs :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Hey all.

My friend has an '09 M3 coupe, Interlagos Blue/black interior, 6MT, tech package, premium, with the new iDrive. Great car!

However, he's having a strange issue with the iDrive. From day one, he's always seen these shopping cart icons on his nav map. No matter what he does, he can't get rid of these things.

He just finished his 1200 mile fluids change at the dealership and told the tech there about the problem. Their claim: "cannot reproduce problem." No duh, they were in the garage, out of satellite range.

Any ideas on what's going on, and more importantly, how to fix it?

I'm going to cross-post this.
This should not be a "problem", it should be a feature:

Just disable that option named "Display Points of Interest" in the above screenshot. That should be detailed in the Owner's manual... why the dealer did not tell that to your friend is a complete mystery.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Just talked to my friend. He tried the "search for something else"; the shopping carts never go away.
      12-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This should not be a "problem", it should be a feature:

Just disable that option named "Display Points of Interest" in the above screenshot. That should be detailed in the Owner's manual... why the dealer did not tell that to your friend is a complete mystery.
Here's the deal: if he turns off "points of interest" the shopping carts DO go away. However, if he ever wants to, for example, see restaurants or whatever, he turns on the points of interest again, selects restaurants. Then he sees restaurant icons + shopping carts.
      12-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Here's the deal: if he turns off "points of interest" the shopping carts DO go away. However, if he ever wants to, for example, see restaurants or whatever, he turns on the points of interest again, selects restaurants. Then he sees restaurant icons + shopping carts.
I can't find an image of the next screen after "Display Points of Interest", so I don't know if each POI icon display could be enabled/disabled individually and in a group. I do know that in the VW RNS-510 OEM Nav (very similar Nav features as the '09 iDrive) it can be done both ways...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Okay, seeing as how I cross-posted this thread into two bimmerpost sub-forums and across a couple of bmw sites...I have an answer to this problem, sort of. I'm posting the info/link into each thread, to keep people up to date.

KevinO provided all the relevant info on the e90post iDrive sub-forum.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182906

In a nutshell, it seems to be a known problem with the new iDrive, and will hopefully be fixed up with a software update.
      12-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

Quote:
Just talked to my friend. He tried the "search for something else"; the shopping carts never go away.
thanks for posting...another issue to keep track of but at least we know it is out there and will keep a look out when I get my 09...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Okay, seeing as how I cross-posted this thread into two bimmerpost sub-forums and across a couple of bmw sites...I have an answer to this problem, sort of. I'm posting the info/link into each thread, to keep people up to date.

KevinO provided all the relevant info on the e90post iDrive sub-forum.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182906

In a nutshell, it seems to be a known problem with the new iDrive, and will hopefully be fixed up with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Same here, I see alot of shopping carts on my map
Appreciate 0