BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep
Drives: See my Sig

Questions about ordering 6FL (iPod/USB adapter) without iDrive

I've been spending the last few hours searching/reading thru archived postings here but I'm still a bit confused so here's hoping you all can help me out.

I'll be ordering my '09 M3 sedan with only heated seats and iPod/USB (6FL) adapter as my only options. Since the large majority of posts I read on this topic were from people who have 6FL with the iDrive option, here are the questions I have:

1) With only the 6FL option, I'm guessing I'll be able to control moving track to track within a playlist via the steering wheel controls, correct?

2) Is it possible to move from playlist to playlist using the steering wheel controls?

3) Since my car won't have the iDrive nor navigation system, will the OEM headunit have a display screen of some sort so I can see what song is playing? Or will it show just a track number?

4) Where are the ports to plug into located assuming I order the 6FL option only without the iDrive and navigation?

Thanks,
Navin

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 5spd 2000 323i
SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
I've been spending the last few hours searching/reading thru archived postings here but I'm still a bit confused so here's hoping you all can help me out.

I'll be ordering my '09 M3 sedan with only heated seats and iPod/USB (6FL) adapter as my only options. Since the large majority of posts I read on this topic were from people who have 6FL with the iDrive option, here are the questions I have:

1) With only the 6FL option, I'm guessing I'll be able to control moving track to track within a playlist via the steering wheel controls, correct?

2) Is it possible to move from playlist to playlist using the steering wheel controls?

3) Since my car won't have the iDrive nor navigation system, will the OEM headunit have a display screen of some sort so I can see what song is playing? Or will it show just a track number?

4) Where are the ports to plug into located assuming I order the 6FL option only without the iDrive and navigation?

Thanks,
Navin
Unless there is a huge difference from the ipod/usb adapter on my '09 E90 (no nav) you can do the following:

1) you will be able to move from track to track also forward and rewind your tracks from the steering wheel.

2) I'm not able to move from play list to play list from the steering wheel...

3) the head unit will display track names, when serchnig playlists it will display the name of the playlists.

4) in my E90 the ipod/usb cable is in the center arm rest compartment.

Quick note make sure that your Ipod is 4th gen. or newer other wise it will not chanrge the Ipod. If you have a 3rd gen. or older the Ipod will work fine but you need to take it out and charge it.

Hope that this helps you good luck and Happy New Year 2009!!!!
      01-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Unless there is a huge difference from the ipod/usb adapter on my '09 E90 (no nav) you can do the following:

1) you will be able to move from track to track also forward and rewind your tracks from the steering wheel.

2) I'm not able to move from play list to play list from the steering wheel...

3) the head unit will display track names, when serchnig playlists it will display the name of the playlists.

4) in my E90 the ipod/usb cable is in the center arm rest compartment.

Quick note make sure that your Ipod is 4th gen. or newer other wise it will not chanrge the Ipod. If you have a 3rd gen. or older the Ipod will work fine but you need to take it out and charge it.

Hope that this helps you good luck and Happy New Year 2009!!!!
Thank you so much for the info you provided!
I should have mentioned that I have the 5th gen. iPod.

Am I able to play the videos on my iPod to appear on the headunit display? If not then would the videos appear on the screen that comes with the navigation/iDrive option?

For some reason, based on the posts I read here, I thought that searching playlists was only possible with iDrive... actually you said you have no nav... do you have iDrive?

Happy New Year to you too!

Navin

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts | Race Apeel
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info you provided!
I should have mentioned that I have the 5th gen. iPod.

Am I able to play the videos on my iPod to appear on the headunit display? If not then would the videos appear on the screen that comes with the navigation/iDrive option?

For some reason, based on the posts I read here, I thought that searching playlists was only possible with iDrive... actually you said you have no nav... do you have iDrive?

Happy New Year to you too!

Navin
No and no.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No and no.
Thanks!

With just the iPod/USB adapter (6FL) I'm ordering I can still just load Mp3 files onto a thumbdrive and plug that into the USB port and play my songs that way, correct?

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks!

With just the iPod/USB adapter (6FL) I'm ordering I can still just load Mp3 files onto a thumbdrive and plug that into the USB port and play my songs that way, correct?
Yes...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info you
Navin
I do not have nav. at all......when the Ipod is connected you have the choice to listen to your music by, list, artist, genre, album. when you choose the "LIST" option the name of your LISTS will appear (you must scroll down) you click on the list you want and you can scroll through the list of songs inside the particular list you choose.....I have 5 play lists and each play list name appears on the radio LCD display.

*This can only be done through the radio buttons and knobs only!!!!*

Last edited by beto_L.A.; 01-02-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Thanks!

You'll need a proper M3U playlist file as well. IMHO - It's best to use an iPod.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Navin323i
Europrojektz East
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
I do not have nav. at all......when the Ipod is connected you have the choice to listen to your music by, list, artist, genre, album. when you choose the "LIST" option the name of your LISTS will appear (you must scroll down) you click on the list you want and you can scroll through the list of songs inside the particular list you choose.....I have 5 play lists and each play list name appears on the radio LCD display.

*This can only be done through the radio buttons and knobs only!!!!*
I know you said you didn't have nav... I just wasn't sure if one could have nav without having iDrive, but I'm guessing now they both go hand in hand.

You said those features could all be done through the radio buttons and knobs only... but not through the buttons on the steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
You'll need a proper M3U playlist file as well. IMHO - It's best to use an iPod.
Thanks Tom!

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep

From the steering wheel you can:

vol up/down,

track search forward/backward same button you press it and hold you can move forward or backwards on the track.

you can change from ipod to cd player to radio tunner.

turn on the a/c

each function is done with a different button on the sterring wheel....

there are 2 other buttons that work with the bluetooth if you have that option.

*as far as play list search, tracks inside the play lists, etc. can ONLY be done from the buttons on the radio head.*

good luck!!!!