BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

12-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
M3M3CAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW, ZCP, DCT, on order..

Help!!!! European Delivery Processing and Waiting Time?

Guys -

I've finally decided to put in my order on Monday for an E92 M3 Mineral White on RedFox fully loaded zcp (every possible option is checked). I getting the car at Invoice plus 4k+ of ED savings and I feel I'm really getting a great deal here (75K car for 66K)

Problem is I took too long to decide and wasted a lot of time before pulling the trigger and now I'm impatient and want the car here in my garage like YESTERDAY .. I would even take a last minute Red Eye to Munich tonight to pick the car if possible, however we know that's not possible. Now as I look further into this ED option, I'm hearing of all these nightmare scenarios of people having to deal with production delays and waiting as much as 3 months to get their cars which to me is not an option and not worth the 4K of savings considering how antsy I am right now. When I do pickup in Munich I will be turning the car in to the port within 3 days day of the picking up from BMW ..

So besides praying for a miracle, in order for me to really decide on if ED is the right choice or not I'll be needing some information from you guys for the following questions.

1. What's the fastest possible way to get the car here to the dealer?
2. What's the fastest you've ever heard it being done from order to dealer pickup?
3. What's the longest you've ever heard it taking?
4. Is it true I can get the car faster by not doing ED? and why?
5. Is it true that dropping off at some other German ports can save me a few days / up to even a week? if so Which ones?

Some information you might need to better answer the questions above:
A. Dealer is on the east coast (Maryland)
B. I will only drive the car for 3 days max after pickup in Germany
C. I'm willing to pay slightly more or I guess reduce my savings for faster delivery here in the US.

PS. I tried searching the forums before asking and didn't find anything that addressed these specific questions in a satisfactory way.. so thank you for your assistance in advance..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
babino
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
Talk to your dealer asap. From what I understand you'll need to get a production slot for a Dec. build date before production stops in late Dec. Then Feb-Mar may be the earliest ED date. This info comes from a thread on another site known for its ED section, so talk to your dealer to validate everything you find on the internet.

1) An ED delivery will add time to the car's arrival in the US. You're basically taking a delivery then giving it back to them to prepare it for another delivery. This adds time.
4) ED adds time for pickup and may add time to customs hold once in the US.
5) Munich drop-off is generally the fastest.

Check out the 'festive' web forums for more specific ED details. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by babino View Post
Talk to your dealer asap. From what I understand you'll need to get a production slot for a Dec. build date before production stops in late Dec. Then Feb-Mar may be the earliest ED date. This info comes from a thread on another site known for its ED section, so talk to your dealer to validate everything you find on the internet.

Did it change? My car was scheduled to be built a week before my pick up date in Munich but this was in 2009.

Doubt they would build his car in late December and let it sit till February or March.

My car came quickly after dropping off in Munich. 30 days from the time i dropped off till the day it arrived at my dealer in Chicago. With that said, i was told i was one of the lucky ones to receive it so early. My guess was because it was during the slow period when no one was buying cars due to the economy and BMW had cut production.

Fastest way is to get someone who is experienced with Euro deliveries and tell them you want a pick up date as soon as they can schedule it. I had a 3 month gap from time of ordering till the day of picking it up at the Welt, but i was trying to sell my NSX at the time so i didnt mind the wait.

It still a gamble... cars get held up in customs often as well. Lots of things can delay the delivery.

Still, the wait was worth it for me. Incredible experience and you might regret not doing it.
      12-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

expect the quickest delivery day in munich to be 30 days from the day you place the order since the PO paperwork is supposed to be submitted 30 days prior to pickup. then expect redelivery to your dealership to be somewhere around 6 weeks. so general minimum of 2.5 months.

The ED experience is awesome. But if you are not planning on really making a trip out of it, and the savings are not so important for you (which don't really become savings anyway since you pay for the trip expenses) , then ED probably does not make sense for you.

Not doing ED will definitely result in receiving your car quicker. You eliminate the 1 month period before pick-up. And also your car does not have to go through the longer customs inspection/clearance process when it arrives to the US.
      12-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

"Doubt they would build his car in late December and let it sit till February or March."

Mine was built in mid-November for mid February ED pick-up. It has been ready for me to pick it up since mid November. Reason given for the early build was that the M3 line stops just before Christmas and doesn't start again until January. A February delivery would thus have to be built before Christmas.
Appreciate 0