BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #1739
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post

However, I'm willing to host some races and, if there's any interest, maybe even organize a small series. I have Assetto Corsa on pc. I setup an account on an Assetto Corsa game server, so I have a nice reliable server. (After a ton of trying, I could not get the built in server tool to work reliably.)
The base game is on sale for $5
https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ASSETT...e14e098be50INT

Perhaps I'll try it and join you. Are there add-ons that need to be purchased to be able to participate?

Quote:
To race other tracks not included with the game requires additional downloading. You have to have the track on your computer beyond just the Assetto Corsa install. Some tracks like VIR and Road Atlanta are free and they just ask for donations. Buttonwillow requires you to buy it for a few bucks. I can help get those other tracks installed.
I can't find where to download VIR and Road Atlanta. Any tips?

edit: nm found the track downloads on racedeparment.

Last edited by tdott; 03-27-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #1740
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
The base game is on sale for $5
https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ASSETT...e14e098be50INT

Perhaps I'll try it and join you. Are there add-ons that need to be purchased to be able to participate?

I can't find where to download VIR and Road Atlanta. Any tips?

edit: nm found the track downloads on racedeparment.
Would love to have you on there!

All the Race Department stuff is donation-ware. I've donated to each of them. The only track I had to buy was Buttonwillow. Buttonwillow is a bit glitchy when there are multiple cars.....Last night I was racing one person on Buttonwillow and he disappeared from my rear view mirror and then all of a sudden he pops up out of nowhere in front of me!! hahahaha

Anyway, PM me when you're setup and I'll give you details to join and we can test it out when you have time to sit in front of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #1741
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
So----this build thread is getting pretty long. Sometimes it's hard to remember where something was posted. People ask me questions all the time about stuff that's already posted in here.

I decided to go through it and make a general Table of Contents. I've posted it in the first post of the thread. But I figured I'd share here as well:

btw, all the latest mods on the car are updated in that first post, along with my latest PBs and current pix of the car.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
That's too much work. Can't you make it searchable and add hyperlinks?
Dammmmmm......hahahaha

Just copy it and search it you lazy ass!

Don't make me do this again!:

(Can you tell this is my favorite new emoji? This is either me playing iRacing or eating beans.)
If you like, you could just link to each page, e.g.

Page 1: Intro to the thread, All mods listed, all latest fastest lap times listed, latest look of the car, pix of the cage transformation.

Check your PMs!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #1742
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post

Page 1: Intro to the thread, All mods listed, all latest fastest lap times listed, latest look of the car, pix of the cage transformation.

Check your PMs!
Thanks so much for sending me the PMs with all the page linked!

I've implemented it on both the first post of the thread and the post on this page.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #1743
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post

Check your PMs!
Thanks so much for sending me the PMs with all the page linked!

I've implemented it on both the first post of the thread and the post on this page.
No problem at all, happy to help! This thread is a wealth of information
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #1744
the5
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Quote:
The reason I have emphasized my loneliness in this parking lot is because I knew the trailer’s rear door was really really heavy. I had not lifted it by myself yet, but I was dreading it because that door with the metal ramps is damn heavy (see pics). The spring-loaded wires did very little to assist holding the door. (It’s not my trailer, so I’m just working with what I got.) My back is prone to spasms due to several bicycle crashes over the years. When a back spasm happens, I’m in pretty bad shape for a couple days…..not exactly ideal in this situation. So, with no one around, it was on me to get that door back up. And it was terrible. I was straining pretty hard to get that door up by myself. My back didn’t spasm in that moment, but it was sore and cranky when I was done and I was worried that it would still spasm later. And I still had a lot of lifting to do that evening to get setup for the next day. All my wheels and tools and gear had to be moved into the COTA garage. Ugh. Not the best time to be fighting back issues.
My Renagade trailer has a winch just for the door, Wouldnt be that hard to fit to that trailer!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #1745
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5 View Post
My Renagade trailer has a winch just for the door, Wouldnt be that hard to fit to that trailer!
Thanks for the idea. From what I understand, the rear door roller spring just needs servicing and it will not be a problem. The guy who owns the trailer knows and says he’s going to deal with it. (The lift inside the double stacker trailer also needs some love. It only raises 2” each button press. And you gotta wait for some charging or something in between presses.....takes like 30 minutes to raise the car......haha....that’s ok——first-world non-coronavirus problems)

Given the current state of everything, driving the East Coast tracks in May seems unlikely. So, we'll see what we can line up on the East Coast later in the year.

We have a group of guys getting pc game rigs together for online driving. So, I think next week, we'll try our first race.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #1746
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I've continued to receive cool images from photographers who were at the COTA SuperLap Battle event. I thought this one was particularly cool.

Thanks to IG: @bigman318 for this one!

Appreciate 5
CSBM52695.50
roastbeef11571.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #1747
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Alright----let's file this one under----uh....is this is going to be a melee!? hahaha

Our first Assetto Corsa online race is tonight!

If everyone shows up, we will have 11 cars racing at Laguna Seca. It's a spec race---all 11 cars are the same---BMW Z4 GT3 on Medium compound slicks.

Format:
Practice - 10 minutes.
Qualifying - 10 minutes.
Race - 10 laps.
No traction or stability control allowed.

Anyway, tonight is a test run. If we have fun, I may make a series out of it with something like 6 tracks and 12 races.

Curious to see how it goes!

Dang.....I better go practice....... hahahaha
Appreciate 2
tdott3930.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #1748
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Alright----let's file this one under----uh....is this is going to be a melee!? hahaha

Our first Assetto Corsa online race is tonight!

If everyone shows up, we will have 11 cars racing at Laguna Seca. It's a spec race---all 11 cars are the same---BMW Z4 GT3 on Medium compound slicks.

Format:
Practice - 10 minutes.
Qualifying - 10 minutes.
Race - 10 laps.
No traction or stability control allowed.
Great race, good fun. I need a better setup my wheel keeps moving on the desk I have it clamped to and using an office chair with wheels is not a good idea.
Either-way i'll try to make the next one.
Let me know what track it'll be so i can make sure i have it.

Thanks for setting up!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #1749
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

It was lots of fun! Hadn't driven Laguna before (virtually or in real life) and it's surprisingly small and tight

I want to know who tried to steal my handle and called themselves 'DYT'...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #1750
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Great race, good fun. I need a better setup my wheel keeps moving on the desk I have it clamped to and using an office chair with wheels is not a good idea.
Either-way i'll try to make the next one.
Let me know what track it'll be so i can make sure i have it.

Thanks for setting up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It was lots of fun! Hadn't driven Laguna before (virtually or in real life) and it's surprisingly small and tight

Hey guys! Thanks for taking part in the race! I had a great time. It's actually quite tense!

So, the our first race is complete. 11 cars raced. Actually, it ended up being two races. The way the server works, after a race is over, it just resets and starts the Practice/Qualify/Race cycle again. So, 10 of the 11 cars decided to stay and race a second race! (The 11th guy bowed out of race #2 because his VR headset was giving him problems.)

I've never w-2-w raced before. The starts were a melee as I expected. I got spun in Turn 2.....haha

Andrew Lim was crushing the lap times in qualifying. He won the first race. tsk94 won the second race.

OG Shark captured 3rd both races!

I got 5th the first race and 7th the second race. SQ13 took me down going into Turn 2---he braked super late into Turn 2 and then I don't know how he kept it on the track. Got in front of me and then ditched me! Man, I am not used to fighting for a turn! At one point, we were three wide going into Turn 9! That was new for me! hahaha

Anyway, I enjoyed it and am willing to put a series together. Or we can just race one-off races once or twice a week. But regardless, I think we have a good way to pass the time here!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      04-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #1751
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

That was good fun. Big thanks for hosting and organizing the first event! The 'carnage' was minimal..ish.. but overall not bad, considering for a few people they haven't online raced before or are fairly new to sim driving.

I'd love to do a series, but even weekly one off style races where we all get together to drive would be fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #1752
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

w2w is very tense for sure, blocking/drafting/outbraking and stealing the right line is always entertaining

You could replicate the AER format or another series to choose the racetracks. Or just go one by one for all the racetracks available in the game for the US/Canada
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #1753
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Hey guys! Thanks for taking part in the race! I had a great time. It's actually quite tense!

So, the our first race is complete. 11 cars raced. Actually, it ended up being two races. The way the server works, after a race is over, it just resets and starts the Practice/Qualify/Race cycle again. So, 10 of the 11 cars decided to stay and race a second race! (The 11th guy bowed out of race #2 because his VR headset was giving him problems.)

I've never w-2-w raced before. The starts were a melee as I expected. I got spun in Turn 2.....haha

Andrew Lim was crushing the lap times in qualifying. He won the first race. tsk94 won the second race.

OG Shark captured 3rd both races!

I got 5th the first race and 7th the second race. SQ13 took me down going into Turn 2---he braked super late into Turn 2 and then I don't know how he kept it on the track. Got in front of me and then ditched me! Man, I am not used to fighting for a turn! At one point, we were three wide going into Turn 9! That was new for me! hahaha

Anyway, I enjoyed it and am willing to put a series together. Or we can just race one-off races once or twice a week. But regardless, I think we have a good way to pass the time here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
That was good fun. Big thanks for hosting and organizing the first event! The 'carnage' was minimal..ish.. but overall not bad, considering for a few people they haven't online raced before or are fairly new to sim driving.

I'd love to do a series, but even weekly one off style races where we all get together to drive would be fun.
Quote:
w2w is very tense for sure, blocking/drafting/outbraking and stealing the right line is always entertaining

You could replicate the AER format or another series to choose the racetracks. Or just go one by one for all the racetracks available in the game for the US/Canada
That was a lot of fun. Feel like us noobs didn't hack it up too terribly bad.

I propose two classes: the "skilled" class and the "also ran" class. tsk94 and Andrew Lim would be the skilled class - those guys were miles ahead of the rest of us!!! Think we need to get their cars into impound after the races The rest of us can duke it out for the best of the rest also ran crown.

Thoughts on going to the M3 GT2 in the spirit of this board?

As a series or not - anything we do will be fun so I'm impartial to either. Maybe one night a week as a series and if anyone else has time for a second night then use that as pick up races. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the great tracks from around the world mixed in there as well.
Appreciate 1
tsk941514.50
      04-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #1754
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

I propose two classes: the "skilled" class and the "also ran" class. tsk94 and Andrew Lim would be the skilled class - those guys were miles ahead of the rest of us!!! Think we need to get their cars into impound after the races The rest of us can duke it out for the best of the rest also ran crown.

As a series or not - anything we do will be fun so I'm impartial to either. Maybe one night a week as a series and if anyone else has time for a second night then use that as pick up races. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the great tracks from around the world mixed in there as well.
Haha, thanks

I wouldn't be against going to the GT2, it's a bit more difficult to drive then the Z4 due to not having ABS - but we could always enable ABS to solve that.

If we want to run something more similar pace wise to our E92 track cars, we could considering doing either the M235i Race car or the E30 DTM. Both of these would be much closer to the pace of our E92 cars but still keep it within the BMW family. Just some more options, I'm happy to go with whatever the majority prefer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #1755
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes! I need to impound those cars next time! Scales! Dynos!

I plan on doing at least 6 tracks, maybe more if we go outside the USA. Laguna Seca was first because it's built into the game so I knew everyone would have it, and a lot of people have at least driven that track before in a video game. This first race was simply about making sure everyone could get in and do it, and then seeing the experience. On the whole, I'd say most people were able to access it without problems. One guy had a network issue and got kicked off in the second race, but no one else reported any issues with the network, so I'm going to assume it was his internet. hehe that same someone got black flagged for not slowing down after cutting the course in the first race. Boom race over for him! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!! Mwuhahahahahaha

Regarding the M3 GT2, I don't see doing it. The one time I tried it, it felt so sluggish to me. If I'm going to go through the torture of driving a video game, I want the car to at least be responsive and fairly quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #1756
omhl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S / F82 M4 6MT

Haha, Oscar here.

That was pretty fun! Down for another round.

For those that aren't familiar with W2W racing and etiquettes. Maybe sticky it in the discord so newcomers can have a read so we don't have T1 troubles heh.
Practicing the switch back move is really satisfying when pulled off.

We usually follow these rules for clean online racing and to prevent being sent to the shadow realm lol

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014...les-of-racing/
      04-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #1757
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4ckm3 View Post
Haha, Oscar here.

That was pretty fun! Down for another round.

For those that aren't familiar with W2W racing and etiquettes. Maybe sticky it in the discord so newcomers can have a read so we don't have T1 troubles heh.
Practicing the switch back move is really satisfying when pulled off.

We usually follow these rules for clean online racing and to prevent being sent to the shadow realm lol

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014...les-of-racing/
Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #1758
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:

That was me. Not sure why it was truncated. Should have said dytryn.
      04-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #1759
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Yes! I need to impound those cars next time! Scales! Dynos!

I plan on doing at least 6 tracks, maybe more if we go outside the USA. Laguna Seca was first because it's built into the game so I knew everyone would have it, and a lot of people have at least driven that track before in a video game. This first race was simply about making sure everyone could get in and do it, and then seeing the experience. On the whole, I'd say most people were able to access it without problems. One guy had a network issue and got kicked off in the second race, but no one else reported any issues with the network, so I'm going to assume it was his internet. hehe that same someone got black flagged for not slowing down after cutting the course in the first race. Boom race over for him! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!! Mwuhahahahahaha

Regarding the M3 GT2, I don't see doing it. The one time I tried it, it felt so sluggish to me. If I'm going to go through the torture of driving a video game, I want the car to at least be responsive and fairly quick.
Someone really got black flagged??? I heard someone say that but thought it was a joke. That's freaking hilarious.

Didn't think the M3 GT2 was thattttt bad; yeah a little off pace from the Z4 but not terrible didn't think.

Hopped on a bit last night and realized something - I had the toe backwards on both the front & rear... now you know why I always have Will with me when I'm on the track...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #1760
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Someone really got black flagged??? I heard someone say that but thought it was a joke. That's freaking hilarious.

Didn't think the M3 GT2 was thattttt bad; yeah a little off pace from the Z4 but not terrible didn't think.

Hopped on a bit last night and realized something - I had the toe backwards on both the front & rear... now you know why I always have Will with me when I'm on the track...
Oh yes! He sent me this photo! hahahahaha

You're gonna need Will to come over to your house, boot your computer, go over all your game settings and strap you into your chair!
Appreciate 0