BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Service department took my car for a ride

Went to Maranello BMW to do my 2000 km break-in oil change.

Normally i don't pay attention to the mileage.
But i saw the service guy scan in my mileage with the key.
2082 km

Got out of the dealership on my way home when i noticed the mileage.
2107 km

Looks like someone in the service department had fun with my 2009 M3 coupe with DCT or is that the normal test drive range...around 25 km???

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Did you insert the key on the trip to the dealership or did you use the comfort access?The key reader will only read the milege that was recorded the last time the key was inserted in the slot.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep99 View Post
Went to Maranello BMW to do my 2000 km break-in oil change.

Normally i don't pay attention to the mileage.
But i saw the service guy scan in my mileage with the key.
2082 km

Got out of the dealership on my way home when i noticed the mileage.
2107 km

Looks like someone in the service department had fun with my 2009 M3 coupe with DCT or is that the normal test drive range...around 25 km???

So, did you want them to make sure they had the oil at the right level or not? It takes about the distance you reported to register the oil level after a change.

Service departments just can't win with certain people. If they do it right, people whine, and they whine when they do it wrong.
      08-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Gearhead999s

Got to admit...this is the first time i have the comfort access option and i love to use it.

foosh

I certainly didn't expect the Service department to do something this unprofessional....but then again....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

I see you're brand new to this board. You do realize that there is no dipstick, and the only way to check the oil is electronically, right?

As I said, it takes 20-30 miles to register after an oil change. However, if that is a problem for you, it is within your rights as a customer to instruct them to not test drive your car to verify service is successful. They will ask you to sign a waiver, relieving them of responsibility, because testing is an important part of most service jobs.
      08-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I think after the service they do a test drive... they usually do a 10-15 mile check to make sure your car does not through lights and that your levels are proper. I think this is correct but i'm not 100%
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep99 View Post
Gearhead999s

Got to admit...this is the first time i have the comfort access option and i love to use it.

foosh

I certainly didn't expect the Service department to do something this unprofessional....but then again....
What is unprofesional about making sure the work is done properly?I would much prefer to have a few extra kms on the car and the work done properly than to have to go back and get it corrected.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Did you insert the key on the trip to the dealership or did you use the comfort access?The key reader will only read the milege that was recorded the last time the key was inserted in the slot.
Thats what I thought as well, but it isnt true. Last time I was in the dealership, I handed my key to the CSR. I told him that I havent had the key in the slot in sometime, he replied 'doesnt matter, it downloads the mileage to the chip on a regular basis'. After he wrote down the mileage from the fob reader, it was within 2 km of the car odometer.

Also, when I was pulling wrench for a living, I had a specific route I would use for all my test drives...it was just over 15km long, and allowed me to get onto an inner city highway for short period. This allowed the car to get to a normal operating temp....pretty much essential to check for any leaks, noises etc etc after a service. And as mentioned before, pretty essential for the new M3 as it uses the idiotic electronic dipstick....which wont even attempt to read the oil level until it is up to temp. You can force it to take a reading, but it wont be as accurate as it should.

Do they use this same system for the M5/6's as well??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanM3 View Post
Thats what I thought as well, but it isnt true. Last time I was in the dealership, I handed my key to the CSR. I told him that I havent had the key in the slot in sometime, he replied 'doesnt matter, it downloads the mileage to the chip on a regular basis'. After he wrote down the mileage from the fob reader, it was within 2 km of the car odometer.
I am not sure about that as I had a X5 4.8 for a while and remember having an issue with milege readings taken off the key.It was finaly determined that the key had never been updated in over a year,as it had never been used in the slot.It was a difference of over 20,000kms and as it was a Repo,this caused quite a problem with the person who took it over who thought we were playing games.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have no problem of them doing a good job.

Just don't want someone else to joyride my car except me...that's all.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Then make sure and tell them not to drive your car under any circumstances, as I said above. They won't be able to verify the repair, but you can sign the waiver and accept the consequences of a possible return visit or worse. They'll make a note in your service record, that you refused the test drive part as prescribed by BMW repair protocols for each procedure.

As an aside, I find it amusing that people think technicians are somehow chomping at the bit to get their hands on an M3 for a "joy-ride. It is not an Enzo, it's not that terribly special, and it's not the detail kid they just hired last week doing test drives.

The reality is the majority of techs have driven them many times by now, and they'd probably welcome the opportunity to skip the test drive in most cases. I'd highly recommend that you try to find a way to "get over" this phobia you have, or your ownership experience will likely cause you much anxiety.
      08-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I don't think you have anything to worry about. When you go to pick up your car after the 1200mile service and your back tire and rim look like this, THEN you can go TNT on them. This actually happened to me.

Name:  tiredamage.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  169.5 KB
      08-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I find all the GTA's dealers are slipping down hill big time.
      08-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I don't think you have anything to worry about. When you go to pick up your car after the 1200mile service and your back tire and rim look like this, THEN you can go TNT on them. This actually happened to me.

Attachment 292698
Did you let my wife drive your car

Thats what the RR 19" looks like on my wifes 335!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Did you let my wife drive your car

Thats what the RR 19" looks like on my wifes 335!
This was done by one of the dealership employees. They were hoping I would just drive off without looking at it. That's why I always do a walk around before I get in and drive off.
      08-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
guardodoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92, 1986 325e 2021 X5 40i

Checking oil.

You don't have to drive it, just let the engine run. Wouldn't it be better to be in the service bay when you find out that the oil is "over max" or too low instead of in this case up to 12 km away ?
What exactly are they "testing" when they drive your car after an oil change ?
Irvine BMW damaged my car during service. Took three weeks in the body shop to repair. The likelihood of damaging it would be less if they didn't unnecessarily drive it.
I read the SIB on the 1,200 mile service for the DCT and there was no mention of a "test" drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
CanM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardodoc View Post
You don't have to drive it, just let the engine run. Wouldn't it be better to be in the service bay when you find out that the oil is "over max" or too low instead of in this case up to 12 km away ?
What exactly are they "testing" when they drive your car after an oil change ?
Irvine BMW damaged my car during service. Took three weeks in the body shop to repair. The likelihood of damaging it would be less if they didn't unnecessarily drive it.
I read the SIB on the 1,200 mile service for the DCT and there was no mention of a "test" drive.
It would take a looooong time to warm the oil up to operating temp sitting at idle....thats unrealistic. If a tech puts in 9 litres and then takes it for a drive, the level may not be perfect, but its not going to be in a dangerous area either way.
There has been many threads of guys picking their cars up after a service and having the car puke oil out of the filter canister on the front, or the oil cap seal gets cut.....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
guardodoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92, 1986 325e 2021 X5 40i

Oil

My service tech put in 10 Liters. When I drove away it read ">MAX"
When I went back he told me that the parts guy told him that it takes 10 Liters. I'm in Southern California, so the car warms up pretty quick at idle.
Best regards.
P.S. Look in the service bays and see how many of the techs are reading SIBs.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
ecksreturns
Commander-in-Chief
India
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3,2013 M5 and M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Then make sure and tell them not to drive your car under any circumstances, as I said above. They won't be able to verify the repair, but you can sign the waiver and accept the consequences of a possible return visit or worse. They'll make a note in your service record, that you refused the test drive part as prescribed by BMW repair protocols for each procedure.

As an aside, I find it amusing that people think technicians are somehow chomping at the bit to get their hands on an M3 for a "joy-ride. It is not an Enzo, it's not that terribly special, and it's not the detail kid they just hired last week doing test drives.

The reality is the majority of techs have driven them many times by now, and they'd probably welcome the opportunity to skip the test drive in most cases. I'd highly recommend that you try to find a way to "get over" this phobia you have, or your ownership experience will likely cause you much anxiety.
I agree with what you say , but that highlighted statement was a bit out of line . I am sure it could have been conveyed in a more subtle manner

Last edited by ecksreturns; 08-07-2009 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #20
ep99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks ecksreturns...but got to admit foosh is right.

M3 is nothing special these day...ever since i had one...i've noticed a lot of M3 out there on the road.
I'm sure most of them are former 3-series owners like me that enjoy BMW before and try to upgrade to a better class....thinking it would be unique.

And i'm sure after i get my first door or hood ding...i would stop caring about the car.
Appreciate 0