BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

07-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Porsche

On my way back to the office drove by the Porsche dealer. I would have to say with the exception of the 911 that I wouldn't want any of the other models. I guess that you have to make lesser priced models but not a fan.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

As a long time owner of the marque and someone who prefers and knows the 911, the Cayman is an exceptionally well-balanced sports car and an absolute pleasure to drive.

The 911 has iconic status, but the Cayman is equally respected in the circle.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
As a long time owner of the marque and someone who prefers and knows the 911, the Cayman is an exceptionally well-balanced sports car and an absolute pleasure to drive.

The 911 has iconic status, but the Cayman is equally respected in the circle.

+1 to the NEW 09 Cayman S .

Not so much a fan of the pre 09.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Ogalthorpe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

I think many of the people that don't like like the cayman done because it looks too much like the boxster (doesn't get any respect). I did have a 997 TT Cab and I enjoy my M3 better. Blue Tooth, Ipod connect, ride adjustments, the M is amazing... If it where only faster (AA will make it happen) but its so driver friendly.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

The only Porsche I'd buy is the Cayman S, although don't really like the rear, but no car is perfect. The 911 just didn't do it for me; felt like a FWD car but backwards. By contrast, the CS drives beautifully. My only concern was engine noise on a trip, but loved it on the test-drive.
I was torn between the M3 and CS, but with all the DI problems, decided on the M3 first (besides it probably being the only V8 M3, which has been confirmed, so am happy I made that decision).
But my next car will be a CS; only question is if I keep the M3 or not, and that will depend on how reliable it turns out to be in the next 3-1/2 years. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Chris_S
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 6MT

I loved my old '07 Cayman S, it was a great sports car. I had a kid, though, and the M3's back seat comes in handy for hauling the family around. Love the M3, too, esp. the engine and added luxuries...even if it's not a sports car.
'08 Honda Ridgeline
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
The only Porsche I'd buy is the Cayman S, although don't really like the rear, but no car is perfect. The 911 just didn't do it for me; felt like a FWD car but backwards. By contrast, the CS drives beautifully. My only concern was engine noise on a trip, but loved it on the test-drive.
I was torn between the M3 and CS, but with all the DI problems, decided on the M3 first (besides it probably being the only V8 M3, which has been confirmed, so am happy I made that decision).
But my next car will be a CS; only question is if I keep the M3 or not, and that will depend on how reliable it turns out to be in the next 3-1/2 years. Good day.
Jc,

I have been going through the same scenarios about the M3 vs the Cayman ever since the Cayman first came into being. When the 09 Cayman was revealed, I figure there would be no negatives with DFI, once again, thee car does not exist The DFI carbon build up concerns me. You may have seen my thread on it. DFI is the direction cars are going. It will be interesting to see the toothing problems with this design. Imo, The best design is the ISF. It is the only car I am aware of that combines DFI and port injection. The best of both worlds.

The problem with the 06s - 08s Caymans is a potential for power steering failure and smoke plumes at the track when driven to the limits. Design flaws in placement of the power steering line too close to the engine block and an insufficient oil separator are the culprits. So one must weigh the negatives vs the positives in considering a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Croc.

The M3, a great all arounder, which made me a believer once again in the benefits of port injection. The S65 is a masterpiece that no true Porsche aficionado can deny. Love the high rev nature. The down side of course is atrocious mileage, especially for such a small displacement motor. Steering and brakes are noticeably weaker in the M3. The extra pork in the M3 is the biggest hindrance along with doo dads and gizmos that not only break, bug, and fail but also detract from the direct connection between man, machine, and the road.
      07-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
On my way back to the office drove by the Porsche dealer. I would have to say with the exception of the 911 that I wouldn't want any of the other models. I guess that you have to make lesser priced models but not a fan.
What exactly did you drive?
      07-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The new Cayman S with the limited slip diff is pretty fast. But I'm just not crazy about its looks vs. the 911, even though the Cayman is probably the better car in terms of the track.
      07-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
... felt like a FWD car but backwards.

Best description I've heard.
      07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Jc,

I have been going through the same scenarios about the M3 vs the Cayman ever since the Cayman first came into being. When the 09 Cayman was revealed, I figure there would be no negatives with DFI, once again, thee car does not exist The DFI carbon build up concerns me. You may have seen my thread on it. DFI is the direction cars are going. It will be interesting to see the toothing problems with this design. Imo, The best design is the ISF. It is the only car I am aware of that combines DFI and port injection. The best of both worlds.

The problem with the 06s - 08s Caymans is a potential for power steering failure and smoke plumes at the track when driven to the limits. Design flaws in placement of the power steering line too close to the engine block and an insufficient oil separator are the culprits. So one must weigh the negatives vs the positives in considering a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Croc.

The M3, a great all arounder, which made me a believer once again in the benefits of port injection. The S65 is a masterpiece that no true Porsche aficionado can deny. Love the high rev nature. The down side of course is atrocious mileage, especially for such a small displacement motor. Steering and brakes are noticeably weaker in the M3. The extra pork in the M3 is the biggest hindrance along with doo dads and gizmos that not only break, bug, and fail but also detract from the direct connection between man, machine, and the road.
..I own both and they are so different....I enjoy driving both equally but must say the Cayman S is for purists and definitely more track oriented...the M3 on the track though feels much lighter and nimble than it looks...quite an accomplishment by BMW. I am actually quicker on the track on the M3 and I am not sure if because the VAST difference in power, or the fact that I feel a bit more confident in the M3, being a car that doesn't seem to understeer.
Cayman S brakes like no other and is very forgiving in the track, but the nose feels light and pre 09 models do lack torque and the absence of a limited slip dif doesn't help either.
When it comes to the drive being engaging...I must say you dont need to go past 5,500 rpm (like in the M) to feel completely involved in the driving with the Cayman S...
just my humble opinion anyhow...
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
What exactly did you drive?
2008 e92 M3, 2006 e46 M3 vert (wife likes it), 2009 GL 320 Bluetec(for the kid and the dog).

The point of the post was that based on looks the 911 is the best, the rear end of the Cayman is so-so, the Boxster is a girl's car and the Cayenne doesn't belong. I was not trying to poo-poo the performance of any of the other cars, simply aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i think if the cayman s was more expensive more people would like it/respect it.
its my next car/.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
..I own both and they are so different....I enjoy driving both equally but must say the Cayman S is for purists and definitely more track oriented...the M3 on the track though feels much lighter and nimble than it looks...quite an accomplishment by BMW. I am actually quicker on the track on the M3 and I am not sure if because the VAST difference in power, or the fact that I feel a bit more confident in the M3, being a car that doesn't seem to understeer.
Cayman S brakes like no other and is very forgiving in the track, but the nose feels light and pre 09 models do lack torque and the absence of a limited slip dif doesn't help either.
When it comes to the drive being engaging...I must say you dont need to go past 5,500 rpm (like in the M) to feel completely involved in the driving with the Cayman S...
just my humble opinion anyhow...
Cheers
BEAUTIFUL lineup!!

i see the S' suspension is modded...coils or springs?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
So which would you take if you could only have one?

And how do you like your bike compared to your cars?
Well, I think the M, because of the convenience of 4 doors + great performance. I think all around, at least for my current needs, the M3 is a great value, given all the options I have for the same price I paid for the Cayman S.

I can't really compare my Ducati to the cars...it is a different dimension....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #16
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
BEAUTIFUL lineup!!

i see the S' suspension is modded...coils or springs?
Thanks man.
Cayman S has H&R coilovers...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Your Cayman S looks MEAN.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
ill take my super hot 2009 m3 sedan that seats 5 and blows the porches doors off. no comparison
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
ill take my super hot 2009 m3 sedan that seats 5 and blows the porches doors off. no comparison
Porches are things people sit out on during the summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
+100000000000000000000

The P-Car people who hate the cayman amaze me. We all know that the 911 has iconic status as the best sports car of all time, but the new Cayman S is dollar for dollar the best sports car you can buy.
except the cayman looks a bit feminine IMO.

If I want to go porches, only the gt3 or gt3rs does it for me in term of look. even the turbo doesn't do it either.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
ImitationOfLife
United_States
Rep
Drives: Modded MKV R32

Quote:
... the Boxster is a girl's car and the Cayenne doesn't belong.
I can't even tell you how wrong you are on saying the Boxter is a girl's car.

Yes, I do agree that the Cayenne (in any form) isn't your typical, purist Porsche, but Porsche, as a company, had to make money somehow and the Cayenne was the solution. The Cayenne to me is the money maker so Porsche can keep supplying awesome cars such as the GT3, GT2, and others.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #22
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post
I can't even tell you how wrong you are on saying the Boxter is a girl's car.

Yes, I do agree that the Cayenne (in any form) isn't your typical, purist Porsche, but Porsche, as a company, had to make money somehow and the Cayenne was the solution. The Cayenne to me is the money maker so Porsche can keep supplying awesome cars such as the GT3, GT2, and others.
the boxter is def a girl's car or bald dude in their mid life crisis. neither are good.
Appreciate 0