BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
TanDaMan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

Transmission temp warning

Hey guys, for some reason I have been getting the transmission temp warning lately. Usually happens after I stop some where and then start it up to leave. Such as this afternoon after I was in Walmart for an hour. Engine temp is normal. It goes off after I drive it a ways. I live in north GA but it hasn't been that hot lately.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Have you confirmed you are not low on fluid? DCT?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

Coolant is good. Yeah it is DCT if that was what you were asking.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Does the DCT give a warning for low fluid or just excessive temps?

Depending on mileage, might not be a bad time to exchange fluids / filters / pan, and then see if the problem doesn't go away. New fluid can be reused if there are further issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanDaMan View Post
Coolant is good. How do I check DCT?
Not sure.. I usually just take to my Indy and have them check when I feel it's low, and they had to top me off two times before I finally bit the bullet and bought the ECS DCT service kit. I assume they just try to pump fluid in and if it takes it, its low? others can answer that better than me. I never had a temp warning, just some clunky shifting that came when I know I had leaked a qt of DCT. apparently these DCTs lose fluid after time, so I just decide to do a new bottom pan, new fluids filter, etc and so far it's phenomenal. Depending on mileage, it might be a good place to start to go ahead and do a DCT service.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post
Quote:

Depending on mileage, might not be a bad time to exchange fluids / filters / pan, and then see if the problem doesn't go away. New fluid can be reused if there are further issues.
FYI, I never got a low fluid warning .... ever. and the first time I got it checked, I was almost 2 qts low on fluid. Maybe the sensor doesn't trip unless it's REALLY low?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

Yeah I had inquired about the DCT service. Was quoted $900. Currently on 82k miles. Just spent some money on the rod bearings so I was trying to see if there was anything I was missing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Just excessive temps. Had it once or twice before but that was a while back. Got it 3 times in the last couple weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I had inquired about the DCT service. Was quoted $900. Currently on 82k miles. Just spent some money on the rod bearings so I was trying to see if there was anything I was missing.
Not too bad of price I think... I bought the parts ($475 shipped) and was charged $230 for the labor to do it, but I was very surprised with the labor bill, was expecting $500... maybe they charged less on that since I also got a new battery through them, and installed and coded as well. I guess, if I were you, I would have the fluid level checked first. If it's low, top it off, and see if the warning comes back. If it is low, see if they can see how bad the leak is... mine was a SLOW leak. so I had to top off once ever 2-4 months. If it's not low and no leak, then I'd wait on the service and have the thing checked out for other codes.
Appreciate 1
chocstraw495.50
      07-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Not too bad of price I think... I bought the parts ($475 shipped) and was charged $230 for the labor to do it, but I was very surprised with the labor bill, was expecting $500... maybe they charged less on that since I also got a new battery through them, and installed and coded as well. I guess, if I were you, I would have the fluid level checked first. If it's low, top it off, and see if the warning comes back. If it is low, see if they can see how bad the leak is... mine was a SLOW leak. so I had to top off once ever 2-4 months. If it's not low and no leak, then I'd wait on the service and have the thing checked out for other codes.
1-2 hours labor is fair and I'm surprised that some places get away with charging more. Took me ~1.5 to do the two filters, fluid, & pan without a lift. It is a messy job so perhaps some places charge a premium. It is a sealed unit and topping off seems like it might be mechanics fleecing you, most have told me it doesn't need it. But it depends on the severity of the leak.

Most of the DCT pans slow-leak and almost all of the mechatronics gaskets lose a few drops here and there. A couple mechanics I talked to said that they can realistically leak for a couple years before any issues. Down 2 quarts seems exceptionally low and I'd bet the pan was coated with sludge. When I removed my pan at 73k, there was a thick metallic sludge on the magnets in the pan and the fluid was dark brown as opposed to gold colored when new. I did not notice any difference in driving though.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...3220440214kt2/

This is a good kit, I think the one you're talking about, but I remember I needed another .5-1 quarts of DCT fluid and ended up reusing some old fluid. Additionally, there are a couple reviews that say that the Vaico cylindrical filter has fitment issues, so it's better to go OE for that part.

Quote:
Not sure.. I usually just take to my Indy and have them check when I feel it's low, and they had to top me off two times before I finally bit the bullet and bought the ECS DCT service kit. I assume they just try to pump fluid in and if it takes it, its low? others can answer that better than me. I never had a temp warning, just some clunky shifting that came when I know I had leaked a qt of DCT. apparently these DCTs lose fluid after time, so I just decide to do a new bottom pan, new fluids filter, etc and so far it's phenomenal. Depending on mileage, it might be a good place to start to go ahead and do a DCT service.
Fill procedure on most automatics is kind of a bitch. Has to be done cold and with the car level. If replacing the pan and all fluid, fill up until it drips without starting the car and plug it again. To fill further, start the car with the plug closed, start up car, rev to 2k for ~20 seconds, remove plug, fill until excess fluid drips from fill hole, and plug up before shutting engine down. The engine operates a pump that sucks up fluid into cooling, mechatronics, etc, so doing it with engine off will be down about a quart or more, and shutting off the engine without plugging it will cause you to lose this fluid. Most repair procedure says that it has to be done before some specific temperature due to heat expansion, like 106 degrees, but something makes me think that this is just the Germans being too precise. Does not help that the cat / downpipe is right next to the fill hole when pressed for time though.

Last edited by chocstraw; 07-15-2019 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

So you have to do the refill while the engine is on? I read in another DIY that you would run the car for 1 minute then refill. That would be a PITA even with a lift...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

OP, I had DCT temp warning a couple of times last Summer, low speed no stress at all on the trans. Stopped, restarted each time, never came back. Fairly new box, not low on fluid, god knows what happened. Give it some time, maybe one of those temporary sensor hick ups.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #13
Retkeur
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

FYI, I had the same situation a couple times where the warning would come up and disappear for weeks.

Then one day out of nowhere, coincidentally as soon as the engine warmed up completely, it started going off like crazy.

It basically stopped me from driving it anywhere except around the neighborhood. As soon as it warmed up, there was the warning light going off and putting the car in some limp mode.

Oil level and quality were normal. It ended up being a bad transmission temperature sensor.

It was replaced, and it has been running fine since.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retkeur View Post
FYI, I had the same situation a couple times where the warning would come up and disappear for weeks.

Then one day out of nowhere, coincidentally as soon as the engine warmed up completely, it started going off like crazy.

It basically stopped me from driving it anywhere except around the neighborhood. As soon as it warmed up, there was the warning light going off and putting the car in some limp mode.

Oil level and quality were normal. It ended up being a bad transmission temperature sensor.

It was replaced, and it has been running fine since.
how much did that run?

I'm literally going thru the exact scenario as OP. Just had rod bearings done as well....
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #15
Retkeur
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

I'm not sure I follow your question.

If you mean about cost, the sensor was ~$160, plus the labor.

I couldn't tell you exactly about labor because I had the shop do a bunch of things at the same time to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retkeur View Post
I'm not sure I follow your question.

If you mean about cost, the sensor was ~$160, plus the labor.

I couldn't tell you exactly about labor because I had the shop do a bunch of things at the same time to the car.
Meant total cost for temp sensor replacement e.i. labor/part

Also, is the sensor internal to the transmission? Hard to tell from the images i've seen...
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #17
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

Update: I had the car on the lift yesterday and was going to attempt to fill the transmission fluid if it was low. I didn't notice any leaks and pan looked dry. As I was loosening then fill bolt some of the tranny fluid started to come out so I immediately screwed it back on. Figured it wasn't low if it came out like that. Just gonna drive until it happens again or until I can get the DCT service done on it.
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881104.00
chocstraw495.50
      04-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #18
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Update: I had the car on the lift yesterday and was going to attempt to fill the transmission fluid if it was low. I didn't notice any leaks and pan looked dry. As I was loosening then fill bolt some of the tranny fluid started to come out so I immediately screwed it back on. Figured it wasn't low if it came out like that. Just gonna drive until it happens again or until I can get the DCT service done on it.
According to the SI document I attached the amount of fluid that will leak from the fill port at ambient temperature is 1.5L. So if you had some leak out that is why. You need to follow the procedure to really check how much fluid it needs.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SI B28 03 08 M-DCT fluid fill and checking.doc (104.0 KB, 187 views)
Appreciate 0