BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

03-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #23
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

I'm not surprised that there are so many left, I'm surprised a single one got sold!

The F generation is grotesque in a very non-BMW way, primarily due to the ugly hood line, angular headlights, reduced displacement turbocharged engine, and a farty exhaust!
Then there is the fake cabin sound.

F(ake) generation it is and may all of its specimen meet their demise at recycling facilities in the near future! The engineers who put this crap out should get fired! The Board of Directors deserve public lashing, 20 each, streamed live on Bimmerpost!
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #24
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
Are these cars really that sucky? Much of the online reviews compliment and praise the M4 but as we all know for (many reasons) it's no E92. I understand the differences between the E92 and the F80 so maybe this question is just redundant. But I am just shocked at how these M4's have literally flooded the used car market! And hell, you can pick one up for the same price as a used E92 which is very telling.
The F series is a trinket, for people who want to show everyone how much money they can blow on a plastic car... I'm happy knowing I have a legendary engine under the bonnet - no fake pumping of engine noises required thx!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #25
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I keep my eyes open for another car to use as a weekend toy, and my wife really wants me to get a LCI F80 6MT ZCP with Speed Cloth and Yas Marina. Not that I'm complaining, but I want another E90M. It is becoming tempting at the rate they are depreciating with an overly saturated market, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Now, G80 will carry TURBO, more power + torque, more advanced techs, possibly lighter, hoping it sounds better, AWD option...so what's so special about F80 M3? or better yet, why would you keep an F80? is it faster or as fast as G80? handle/feel better? sounds amazing? any unique features? No to all...
after all, F80 was simply a bridge between a remarkable BMW M's pinnacle NA motor and now an updated, revised turbo M car that carries AWD.
And ppl will remember it as "oh that tuned 335i motor with lawnmotor exhaust"
Perhaps people will go nuts for F8x because "THE LAST OF THE MANUALS?!?!!!"
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #26
Deebo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I keep my eyes open for another car to use as a weekend toy, and my wife really wants me to get a LCI F80 6MT ZCP with Speed Cloth and Yas Marina. Not that I'm complaining, but I want another E90M. It is becoming tempting at the rate they are depreciating with an overly saturated market, however.

Perhaps people will go nuts for F8x because "THE LAST OF THE MANUALS?!?!!!"
I think the market will continue to drop pretty aggressively on them for the next 2-3 years and then level out. I’m sure when the available stock includes all the 2016 and 2017 ZCP cars from off lease that are just starting to hit now the numbers will keep going down, especially for the “less desirable” 2015 cars. While the F80 isn’t as special to me and isn’t a replacement for my E90, it’s hard to argue with the capability, power and looks of the cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #27
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Why is this such a shock? On cars.com there are 380 e92/3 cars for sale. I would also be interested to know the sales numbers in comparison with our cars---I bet the current cars sold MUCH better than our cars. I think on paper, the F8x cars are vastly superior to our cars, making them much more attractive to more people.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #28
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I think the market will continue to drop pretty aggressively on them for the next 2-3 years and then level out. I’m sure when the available stock includes all the 2016 and 2017 ZCP cars from off lease that are just starting to hit now the numbers will keep going down, especially for the “less desirable” 2015 cars. While the F80 isn’t as special to me and isn’t a replacement for my E90, it’s hard to argue with the capability, power and looks of the cars.
That's the way I look at it. When prices level out, it's a hell of a car for the coin.

Maybe I can talk her into an E90M now and adding an F80 in a few years
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #29
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Normal. Lease returns seem to come in waves, plus, with the next one on the horizon, people are hesitant to buy the old one.
Law6377.00
      03-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #30
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Why is this such a shock? On cars.com there are 380 e92/3 cars for sale. I would also be interested to know the sales numbers in comparison with our cars---I bet the current cars sold MUCH better than our cars.
BMWblog claims that about BMW sold about 3.5x more F80s than E90s worldwide...I would assume that would be true of the coupes/convertibles as well.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/01/14/p...s-were-manual/

Quote:
I think on paper, the F8x cars are vastly superior to our cars, making them much more attractive to more people.
Agreed. I think this whole exercise is a silly example of everyone trying to convince themselves that their choice is the only correct one.

Notice how everyone likes to bitch about the E93's weight, but there's little/no mention of the M4 being several hundred pounds lighter than the E92, or how people are convincing themselves that a better exhaust note is easily preferable to having 111 more lb/ft of torque available at 2000 RPMs lower.
      03-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #31
L1FHR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
With a bit of $ you can give them a soul.. it's no Prius.. turbo'd cars are definitely fun to mod.

Plus I think the whole "soul" thing ages you, it's like the guys who still prefer vinyl records, yeah I like the roar of the v8 and feel of the steering but times are changing. What's wrong with a quieter faster car with lighter steering? At the end of the day the thing I care most about is getting left at the line.. and I mean that as a figure of speech, I want my car to stay competitive performance wise with modern day cars..
For some people like me, I bought my E92 M3 because that's always been my dream car ( to buy before i turn 30 and did just that). I can still go toe to toe with fast cars on the freeway but the sounds of that V* growling just to sweet for my ears.
It gave me the giggles and make my tail wags.
Yes I test drive 335is, the new M3/M4; yes I can purchase them too but man there's nothing can compare to the E92 ZCP, w/ low miles and the sheer driving pleasure that you get from it.

Its smiles per gallon, the joy i get from driving it and the look back that i gave my car every time i park them.

To each their own!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #32
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Notice how everyone likes to bitch about the E93's weight, but there's little/no mention of the M4 being several hundred pounds lighter than the E92, or how people are convincing themselves that a better exhaust note is easily preferable to having 111 more lb/ft of torque available at 2000 RPMs lower.
I do tend to agree with where you're going, generally speaking. But having said that, I think "on-paper" and "from behind the wheel" are vastly different. With the F8x cars, BMW gave us a lot more (performance metrics; hp; torque; better looks IMO) from a fair amount less (weight, mileage, fewer cylinders). It's brilliant---on paper.

I don't think any of the e9x M owners however, really need to justify their continued ownership of the cars. They are the last M cars available with a spartan interior and limited convenience tech features (not that they couldn't be optioned up for the time). It's really, the last of the driver oriented M vehicles. It's among the last of the M cars with a special, M-only engine. People will go on about the S55 as being "unique", but it shares a handful of major parts with the regular series turbo I6 motors. I read through the aftersales literature on the S55 and it lists what's shared and what's different. The S65 is just a vastly more special engine.

I've driven an F80 on track and it's a brilliant vehicle. I even liked the DCT (and I'm a hardcore manual person). But when I got back into my car, there just simply was no desire to "upgrade". I don't care about the additional technology of more modern cars. I love the "honesty" of the e9x M and earlier cars. If I was moving from my current car to something else, it wouldn't be to a F8x. Don't get me wrong, the torque was very nice in the newer car, but that's about it.

For cars that I want to actually drive and enjoy the experience of operating, less (stuff) is simply more. I recently bought a Grand Cherokee SRT with lots of power, but also lots of stuff. Way more than I've ever had in a car. It has basically everything except a self-driving feature. It will even help you parallel park! For something like that, it's great. This isn't an engaging vehicle. It's a freakin sledgehammer for bombing down the highway in relative comfort. It's not a driver's car. It's the kind of vehicle that should have all the bells and whistles IMO. This is not how I view an M3. And because of that, my next vehicle is unlikely to be a newer generation M car.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #33
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

hmm, i do need a car for home depot runs, etc...
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      03-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #34
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Does this really look that bad?
Attached Images

03-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #35
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I'd quite happily move into an F80, they are massively under appreciated in my opinion. It has a stiffer shell, better chassis, diff, electronics, wider track at the front end for better grip, better seats and driving position (you can actually get low), has a huge amount of cooling to take track punishment, and is very reliable. It also looks fantastic. So it has electric steering, the e9x steering is hardly the benchmark either so that's a wash. The E9x sounds good, but its not flat plane crank Ferrari. The f8x can be made to sound pretty good to me, and certainly sounds very mechanical.

As for why there are so many M4's, their all coming off lease. Like someone else said cars are increasingly viewed as appliances these days. The e9x came out at the beginning of the financial crisis, I'd hazard a guess the f8x generation has sold a lot more. Same reason there are way more 997.1 Carerra around than 997.2's.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      03-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #36
skidawgz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3, '09 128i, '95 318i

I don't get why all the F80 hate, as strong M cars strengthen the value and heritage of our cars.

The M4 is definitely not "sucky" and I actually remember when I thought the E9x was too "big" compared to the e46 that I so loved. Now I have one!

The biggest knock to the F80 is how badass the M2 currently is.
1995 BMW e36 318i (stock)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #37
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Does this really look that bad?
That thing looks properly aggressive.
      03-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #38
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I used to hate on the F8x but it's ok. It's just not what it *could* have been. The G8x will fix that I think although it is too big which is probably the most significant problem that will continue. I guess that's what the M2 is for.

BMW Seattle obtained I believe 12 custom job F80s about 6 months ago and they have 10 left. 7 of them are CS models and all are DCT. The least expensive MSRP is $83.7k and the most expensive is $117k. No one is going to buy these things. They are waaaay too expensive and this dealership is stingy on discounts. I bet they don't get rid of the last one until end of this year unless they decide to suck it up and cut 20-30% off their prices. Very few people will pay more than $80k for any iteration of these cars at this point. Our 10% sales tax and ~$900 annual car tabs makes it even worse. Yes, an $80k car will cost you $8000 up front and around $900/yr in taxes in Seattle.

Anyway the M2 CS is really the car to go for this year but it will be $80k on its own. F8x prices will be pretty tasty over the next 2 years for those looking to upgrade size and power from E9x.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread