BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

05-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #111
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
Glad you guys are having good luck with JoyeAuto, but I refuse to give them any more of my money. They are the absolute worst company that I have ever had to deal with.

After 2 months they have finally shipped the replacement product for the defective item I have been trying to get swapped out/returned since November of 2018.
Oh so there's still some hope you'll get the newer CIC unit? Thought this would go dark since aliexpress refund you. Really crappy that it takes this long though.
AliExpress said they'd refund me, then after two separate complaints on my end, they then told me "you have spoken to the seller and they agreed to replace the item. You need to contact them."

Basically, it took 6 separate inquiries into AliExpress' customer service chat to get them to finally send the replacement.

Replacement is due to arrive 6/5-6/10 so we will see. Hopefully they didn't just send me back the same device I sent in.

At this point, if it's the old hardware, even if new, I'm selling it for as much as someone would be willing to pay.

If it's the new hardware, I'll install it—after using it for some time, have you noticed any problems or issues with yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #112
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
AliExpress said they'd refund me, then after two separate complaints on my end, they then told me "you have spoken to the seller and they agreed to replace the item. You need to contact them."

Basically, it took 6 separate inquiries into AliExpress' customer service chat to get them to finally send the replacement.

Replacement is due to arrive 6/5-6/10 so we will see. Hopefully they didn't just send me back the same device I sent in.

At this point, if it's the old hardware, even if new, I'm selling it for as much as someone would be willing to pay.

If it's the new hardware, I'll install it—after using it for some time, have you noticed any problems or issues with yours?
Nothing worth noting. Just the occasional GPS signal lost even though I have signal on my phone. This doesn't happen on my CRV Apple Carplay at all. But it usually recovers after a few seconds.

Spotify menu doesn't load up sometimes but you can still play music on your phone and it will still play. This is something funky with Spotify. It affects both my CRV and the Joyeauto box. Restarting the app or phone usually fixes it.
      05-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #113
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

luckyse7en , did you figure out a better mounting position? It looks like shit under the glovebox lol.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #114
Justin666
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

FYI - they demo’d the CIC wireless carplay on instagram.

had i known, i’d have just gotten that and forgotten about my NBT retrofit, honestly.. but hey, whatever. It works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
When I spoke with them a few weeks ago they said there will not be a wireless solution for CIC.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #115
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin666 View Post
FYI - they demo’d the CIC wireless carplay on instagram.

had i known, i’d have just gotten that and forgotten about my NBT retrofit, honestly.. but hey, whatever. It works great.
Great news! I'll be ordering one once they are available for sale.
      05-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #116
Justin666
Rep

remove the glove box (drop it down) and mount it in there. that's where i put mine, everything fit (it's tight, but it works)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
luckyse7en , did you figure out a better mounting position? It looks like shit under the glovebox lol.
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      05-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #117
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
remove the glove box (drop it down) and mount it in there. that's where i put mine, everything fit (it's tight, but it works)
You got a pic? I dig that!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #118
Justin666
Rep

Quote:
You got a pic? I dig that!
do indeed.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:48 PM   #119
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Justin666 Just wondering. If you have NBT retrofit, how come you don't have Apple Carplay natively? I thought NBT systems have the option for Apple Carplay?

Bimmerretrofit quoted me an NBT retrofit with Apple Carplay compatibility. So I know it's possible.
      05-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #120
Justin666
Rep

only NBT Evo (id5/id6) has carplay - this is regular NBT.
If you're going to retrofit NBT Evo, i'd suggest you read the (huge) post on e90post about it, and don't just go with bimmerretrofit.

Quote:
Justin666 Just wondering. If you have NBT retrofit, how come you don't have Apple Carplay natively? I thought NBT systems have the option for Apple Carplay?

Bimmerretrofit quoted me an NBT retrofit with Apple Carplay compatibility. So I know it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #121
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
only NBT Evo (id5/id6) has carplay - this is regular NBT.
If you're going to retrofit NBT Evo, i'd suggest you read the (huge) post on e90post about it, and don't just go with bimmerretrofit.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually did do a lot of research and read that post on e90post. I had email communications with bimmerretrofit and some red flags came up. Basically what the customer service rep mentioned about compatibility did not match the documentation they sent. Plus certain things for the M3 would not work on it. Too much of a hassle.

Which is why I bought this JoyeAuto box. The price difference and ease of install is what sold me on this. I'll be running this box til it dies, then maybe switch to wireless CIC.
      05-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #122
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nah it's still under there. Honestly I don't care. Makes it easy, if I need to un-install it.

It really is out of sight and out of mind. Not a single passenger know it's there until I tell them about it. It's only cause I have the picture to show you guys that you know it's there. Even with the seat all the way back you can't see it.
      05-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #123
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

The JoyeAuto part is NLA according to the Ali site. Everything I see now is Android based, unfortunately. All you guys who got in on these should probably hang on to them - if they work, that is.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #124
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
The JoyeAuto part is NLA according to the Ali site. Everything I see now is Android based, unfortunately. All you guys who got in on these should probably hang on to them - if they work, that is.
I just noticed that the other day. I wonder why they decided to kill it. Maybe the Wireless CIC one is coming?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #125
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just noticed that the other day. I wonder why they decided to kill it. Maybe the Wireless CIC one is coming?
One would hope. I am on the fence about adding this thing to my CIC, so I'd like to see it available. If not, there's nothing else out there. Might as well start accumulating NBT Evo bits then.

D'ya think NBT/E would play nice with my Individual Audio system? I wouldn't want to give that up.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #126
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One would hope. I am on the fence about adding this thing to my CIC, so I'd like to see it available. If not, there's nothing else out there. Might as well start accumulating NBT Evo bits then.

D'ya think NBT/E would play nice with my Individual Audio system? I wouldn't want to give that up.
From what I was told, again by bimmerretrofit. If you have individual audio, sometimes there is a echo with calls on NBT Evo retrofit. You would need to swap a "similar amplifier" from an F-series car to remedy this.

I didn't know this when I was researching the retrofit. They couldn't even really tell me which amplifier specifically would work. On ebay some range from 200-600 bucks. This added cost on top of the cost of the retrofit parts really was a turn-off.
      05-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #127
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
From what I was told, again by bimmerretrofit. If you have individual audio, sometimes there is a echo with calls on NBT Evo retrofit. You would need to swap a "similar amplifier" from an F-series car to remedy this.

I didn't know this when I was researching the retrofit. They couldn't even really tell me which amplifier specifically would work. On ebay some range from 200-600 bucks. This added cost on top of the cost of the retrofit parts really was a turn-off.
See, thats the kind of stuff that just makes me give up on updating the CIC. I doubt any of the later amps are "similar". I'd hate to lose the processing available to me with the current amp.

I never thought I'd say that, either. I've always been the guy who says "an amp is a straight wire with gain". Now I enjoy the audio in my over-processed system. I may just upgrade the speakers and call it good. The apps people obsess over with the new systems just don't do anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #128
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
See, thats the kind of stuff that just makes me give up on updating the CIC. I doubt any of the later amps are "similar". I'd hate to lose the processing available to me with the current amp.

I never thought I'd say that, either. I've always been the guy who says "an amp is a straight wire with gain". Now I enjoy the audio in my over-processed system. I may just upgrade the speakers and call it good. The apps people obsess over with the new systems just don't do anything for me.
I just want Apple Carplay..lol
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #129
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What interests you about it? The only reason I'm considering it for an upgrade is that I don't want anything Android in my car. I don't really know much about it otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #130
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What interests you about it? The only reason I'm considering it for an upgrade is that I don't want anything Android in my car. I don't really know much about it otherwise.
Carplay is a secondary monitor and an input device to an iOs device. The benefit with the latest carplay framework is the ability to have Waze or Google maps without hotspotting to an Android headunit.

Also by having carplay, you will pretty much future proof your screen to be as up to date as your iOS device. I have it on my daily driver and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #131
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Carplay is a secondary monitor and an input device to an iOs device. The benefit with the latest carplay framework is the ability to have Waze or Google maps without hotspotting to an Android headunit.

Also by having carplay, you will pretty much future proof your screen to be as up to date as your iOS device. I have it on my daily driver and I love it.
I started to install CarPlay on my previous DD, but when I got to the screen that said I needed to turn on Siri and location services I was out. I never use that stuff. CarPlay seems to me to just be a front end for the phone apps which runs on the factory stereo. I don't need either locations or Siri on to use any of the apps on my phone, so why would it require me to use those things to run the same apps over the touch screen in my vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #132
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Siri is used for dictation on the carplay interface. Location services is used for Apple maps to show your parked location.

I'm fine with it.
Appreciate 0