BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

06-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
sifo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

CD/DVD Drive making noise

Hey guys,

My cd/dvd drive is making whirring noises, as if its in use, constantly even after the car is off, and for hours on end.

I don't believe this is normal, has anyone else had issues with this.

BTW, E92 M3, 5k miles just noticed this recently.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
bmwrocket
Grigs
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 White M3 Coupe - sld

That is a defect in what i believe is called the CDC. Will obviously drain your battery if you do not run it for a couple days.... I had this problem right when I got the car brand new. Have 4k miles on it now and no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Probably normal buddy. I complained about the same thing: as soon as you open a door or trunk, the stupid thing starts loading iDrive and Nav for about 5 minutes.

Here's how you can check it: leave the passenger door open and after about 10 minutes, check it out. I bet it'll be quiet. A second test is to put your ear to the tweeter: it should be quiet. If you put your ear after you open the door, you'll hear a very low volume static noise that goes on as long as the Nav/iDrive is working. That's also normal. Weird car man.

Finally, after driving the car, you'll hear many other noises for a lot more than 10 minutes. I believe that's the tranny cooler, stereo amplifier cooler, and who knows what else, so do my test above when the car is cool so you don't confuse other normal noises for what you're asking here. All I can tell you is if that crap was running constantly, you'd have a dead battery by now. Good luck man, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
bmwrocket
Grigs
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 White M3 Coupe - sld

I found my document... I had the CCC replaced. The dvd/cd in the dash constantly ran the battery dead.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
Hey guys,

My cd/dvd drive is making whirring noises, as if its in use, constantly even after the car is off, and for hours on end.

I don't believe this is normal, has anyone else had issues with this.

BTW, E92 M3, 5k miles just noticed this recently.
Are you using a burned DVD for your NAV disc? Otherwise, it's normal for the drive to start spinning when the door is opened as this is part of CAN activity.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0