BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-08-2023, 12:39 AM   #111
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Awesome thread, this is right up my alley as I'm also a one-man show with 1 set of hands doing everything on my back. Sometimes the wife comes and lends a hand in the rare event I need someone to assist.

With the amount of DIY you do, you should invest in a set of QuickJacks. Probably the best investment I've ever done when working on my cars at home. You'll just feel safer underneath as well.

As far as exhaust swapping, I use this hydraulic table for all my exhaust work.

I roll it up behind the car, jack it up, release all the hangers and lower the whole system with one finger. Zero effort and works perfect!
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
cchen9_321.50
      03-27-2023, 08:53 AM   #112
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW E92 M3 ZCP

Picked up an Akra Evo exhaust a few weeks back and already had plans to get a GT4 type midpipe made for it. The exorbitant pricing for the original piece is just not in my wheelhouse. I sent the original midpipe out to Jax Fab Shop in Florida to have them re-create a straight thru "GT4" style xpipe made entirely of titanium.

End result is a true slip-on replacement piece for the original Akra midpipe super easy to change out back to the Evo (why would you tho?) and weighing in at < 4lb which is a significant weight difference over the original.

Due to some time constraints, I had to have the piece back in a few days to attend Import Alliance, they were unable to fab the mounting brackets but will 100% be in the production piece. Planning to get more made for any Akra Evo owners who want that extra sound.

Jax Fab "GT4" midpipe

Whole system installed, did sink the tips in a bit after this photo. Fitment of course is 100%

Some photos from IA weekend. Rainy rainy but Saturday did clear up. Sunday was completely canceled due to rain all day, bummer.

04-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #113
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep

Prob going to turn the boost up in the future. Decided to install w/m injection with summer coming up and track days this should help keep IATs down. W/M injection is awesome for blowers have a similar setup on my K series, had to have it on the M3.

Got AEMs kit really easy to put together, wiring and tubing was all more than enough to plumb it up.

First I found a good spot to drill and tap. Decided on the s/c inlet as it had thick walls to fit the nozzle perfectly flush.

Nozzle mounted.

Pump location chosen under the trunk panel.

Tank location driver side panel.

Indicator led fit real nice in the p3 gauge vent/grille.

Controller I velcro'd to the lower kick panel for easy access and removal.
DrFerry6728.50
RUG8RB8146.00
      04-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #114
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen9_ View Post
Prob going to turn the boost up in the future. Decided to install w/m injection with summer coming up and track days this should help keep IATs down. W/M injection is awesome for blowers have a similar setup on my K series, had to have it on the M3.

Got AEMs kit really easy to put together, wiring and tubing was all more than enough to plumb it up.

First I found a good spot to drill and tap. Decided on the s/c inlet as it had thick walls to fit the nozzle perfectly flush.

Nozzle mounted.

Pump location chosen under the trunk panel.

Tank location driver side panel.

Indicator led fit real nice in the p3 gauge vent/grille.

Controller I velcro'd to the lower kick panel for easy access and removal.
Let us know how you land. I did this exact thing (except installed in the rubber boot to avoid drilling the plenum). Did not find it helpful on track unfortunately. But you might find otherwise! Nice installation.
RUG8RB8146.00
      04-04-2023, 11:53 AM   #115
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Let us know how you land. I did this exact thing (except installed in the rubber boot to avoid drilling the plenum). Did not find it helpful on track unfortunately. But you might find otherwise! Nice installation.
What size nozzle were you using? I'll definitely have to experiment but feel like once the blower is able to spin faster will see more benefits from this.
      04-04-2023, 12:08 PM   #116
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
What size nozzle were you using? I'll definitely have to experiment but feel like once the blower is able to spin faster will see more benefits from this.
In tried several. The standard 2 sizes that came (maybe 4 and 6?) with it standard and a couple of the smallest (I think sizes 1&2 in small). Btw I’m stage 2 pushing 8.5-9psi.
DrFerry6728.50
RUG8RB8146.00
      04-05-2023, 07:24 PM   #117
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

I would love to see your before and after IAT’s. I was getting ready to do this as well but was told it would basically be a waste of time. Even by Snow Performance engineer. He wants 8 individual nozzles post IC core and pre TB plate, which is ridiculously hard to achieve. His second but reluctant suggestion was to precisely calculate the spots directly above each TB pre-IC Core in the plenum roof so to speak. Drill and tap 8 spots for 90° nozzles if enough good clearance. He said this would be second best option, but up to 50% less effective than post IC Cores.

Please look at my post on the F1 Interchiller. I think this is the way to go and of course an Active E85 Tune using a ethanol percentage calculator.
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-06-2023, 10:40 AM   #118
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
I would love to see your before and after IAT’s. I was getting ready to do this as well but was told it would basically be a waste of time. Even by Snow Performance engineer. He wants 8 individual nozzles post IC core and pre TB plate, which is ridiculously hard to achieve. His second but reluctant suggestion was to precisely calculate the spots directly above each TB pre-IC Core in the plenum roof so to speak. Drill and tap 8 spots for 90° nozzles if enough good clearance. He said this would be second best option, but up to 50% less effective than post IC Cores.

Please look at my post on the F1 Interchiller. I think this is the way to go and of course an Active E85 Tune using a ethanol percentage calculator.
Heard the same thing too, did it anyway lol. Should be able to take a good drive out and test this weekend. The problem I assumed with the 8 nozzle injection into the itb's is there's no way for the ecu to measure the real IAT since that would be post sensor. Tuning for it would be kinda difficult. I'm sure with enough time/money/effort you could make anything work but that's way more modification than I'd be willing to do to the car at this point.
DrFerry6728.50
      04-06-2023, 02:14 PM   #119
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Heard the same thing too, did it anyway lol. Should be able to take a good drive out and test this weekend. The problem I assumed with the 8 nozzle injection into the itb's is there's no way for the ecu to measure the real IAT since that would be post sensor. Tuning for it would be kinda difficult. I'm sure with enough time/money/effort you could make anything work but that's way more modification than I'd be willing to do to the car at this point.
Please see all my other posts on IAT sensor and function. TBH, it is the one thing that is holding us back on the current Mike tune IMHO. I have made so many logs now and used 4 different sensors. The location is terrible. At cold startup in morning after sitting all night in sub40° temps it reads 67° after maybe 10 seconds with ambient at 33°. Zero chance this is accurate. On dyno session the other day with 34° ambient I am reading 95°F Pre pull, 110-135 after threee pulls. Then on the way home was lucky enough to get 10-12 miles of no traffic freeway. I held boost about 1.5-2.0 psi and tried to get IAT’s to drop below 100°, nope not even in 36° ambient. This is terrible, I have many like 8 turbo cars and each has stand-alone with logging. None, not one has IAT temps like this. Sorry, venting a bit here.
2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 3
DRLane3988.50
cchen9_321.50
DrFerry6728.50
      04-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #120
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Could it be possible to relocate the IAT sensor to one of the Individual Throttle Bodies in an attempt to reduce the IAT reading error? I'm assuming that the OEM IAT sensor in question is in good working order.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 3
      04-07-2023, 10:37 AM   #121
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG8RB8 View Post
Please see all my other posts on IAT sensor and function. TBH, it is the one thing that is holding us back on the current Mike tune IMHO. I have made so many logs now and used 4 different sensors. The location is terrible. At cold startup in morning after sitting all night in sub40° temps it reads 67° after maybe 10 seconds with ambient at 33°. Zero chance this is accurate. On dyno session the other day with 34° ambient I am reading 95°F Pre pull, 110-135 after threee pulls. Then on the way home was lucky enough to get 10-12 miles of no traffic freeway. I held boost about 1.5-2.0 psi and tried to get IAT’s to drop below 100°, nope not even in 36° ambient. This is terrible, I have many like 8 turbo cars and each has stand-alone with logging. None, not one has IAT temps like this. Sorry, venting a bit here.
Yeah I was looking closer at the IAT sensor placement when installing the w/m and it does look to be in an odd position. I'm not sure if mine reads that odd though but I'll admit I probably don't watch it as close as you. Seems weird... will def keep my eye on it.

It's also a effin bitch to remove the thing I remember taking it out of the stock plenum was a chore. Gave up on trying to pull it out of the s/c didn't want to break it. Ideally the sensor would be post IC core to read the most accurate "cooled" air charge temps, and it does look like they designed the placement there at least from looking at it from the outside.

Last edited by cchen9_; 04-07-2023 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
RUG8RB8146.00
      04-07-2023, 10:48 AM   #122
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=DrFerry;30009466]Could it be possible to relocate the IAT sensor to one of the Individual Throttle Bodies in an attempt to reduce the IAT reading error? I'm assuming that the OEM IAT sensor in question is in good working order.

Mark, the factory sensor is OK, but not a really good unit. It is slow response compared to many others, placement is terrible IMHO. Yes, Ideally the proper location would be Pre ITB butterfly plate and post IC on a middle cylinder. I am researching this now, ironically similar to proper WMI nozzle location.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
cchen9_321.50
      04-07-2023, 11:00 AM   #123
cchen9_
VisionAutoworks
United_States
Rep

When you said you tried 4 different sensors, assuming those were all OEM type? Would be nice to try a faster aftermarket sensor for example the T1, but not sure if it is even possible to scale it properly so the ECU knows wtf it's looking at.
      04-10-2023, 05:48 PM   #124
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you said you tried 4 different sensors, assuming those were all OEM type? Would be nice to try a faster aftermarket sensor for example the T1, but not sure if it is even possible to scale it properly so the ECU knows wtf it's looking at.
Yes, all four OEM, all slightly different but none were good.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50