BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
cardioboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3 bmw 2012

M3 throttle body actuator recall

Why is there no recall on this obvious factory defect ? Do We need to do a class action suit? The sales of these parts is incredible, I purchased my M3 in Annapolis (from BMW) with a 4,200.00 extended service contract, Which didnt cover this part with the total millage of less than 42,000. There was a early string showing a recall , but it has disappeared. Dealer quoted the cost of repair at 3,300.00 (and reinstalling an obviously defective part). No changes in BMW manufacturing have been reported. The rebuilder (Mpower motorsports ) is loaded with orders.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Parts wear out on cars. Overall the E90/E92 M3 is very reliable.

Failure rate on these is pretty low. Definitely doesn't need to be recalled.
      01-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
JPS-ATL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardioboy View Post
Why is there no recall on this obvious factory defect ? Do We need to do a class action suit? The sales of these parts is incredible, I purchased my M3 in Annapolis (from BMW) with a 4,200.00 extended service contract, Which didnt cover this part with the total millage of less than 42,000. There was a early string showing a recall , but it has disappeared. Dealer quoted the cost of repair at 3,300.00 (and reinstalling an obviously defective part). No changes in BMW manufacturing have been reported. The rebuilder (Mpower motorsports ) is loaded with orders.
Why didn't the extended warranty cover this part? My warranty that I got from Carmax covered mine.

Of course the second bank went a few months after the warranty expired :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Just get one from MPower/Rebuild and never worry about it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

All Parts have wear and tear. Order from fcpeuro (lifetime warranty) and DIY it. It's relatively easy once the intake and plenum is off.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Parts wear out on cars. Overall the E90/E92 M3 is very reliable.

Failure rate on these is pretty low. Definitely doesn't need to be recalled.
I wouldnt say low. Every E9x m3 has bearing and/or throttle actuator issues for sure. These failures are at the core of the car and very expensive fixes. This doesnt include other random fixes people deal with such as AC blower, seatbelt extender, door lock actuators, lights and other stuff. 10+ years of ownership, every other month another light goes up in dashboard.

I dont think anyone who is objective can call this a reliable car compared to all other cars in the market. We just overlook it because of the thrill and performance of the v8.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
I wouldnt say low. Every E9x m3 has bearing and/or throttle actuator issues for sure. These failures are at the core of the car and very expensive fixes. This doesnt include other random fixes people deal with such as AC blower, seatbelt extender, door lock actuators, lights and other stuff. 10+ years of ownership, every other month another light goes up in dashboard.

I dont think anyone who is objective can call this a reliable car compared to all other cars in the market. We just overlook it because of the thrill and performance of the v8.
I guess the argument comes down to if the TAs are "wear and tear" items or not. Apparently it's hit or miss with the warranty companies.

If they're not, then I think the failure rate is going to be really really high.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:

Not all have TA issues. My TAs were good at 105k kms. I changed them out just for peace of mind. At 105k, it's already above expectations for a wear and tear part.

My mech has a theory on why some cars suffer TA failures and some don't. He noticed that TAs tend to fail on cars that are driven less. They fail less on daily driven cars. He suspects that they stick when not used and when it's started again after a long time, the additional friction wears and damages the gears.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:

142,000 miles on mine with no issues.

If you're getting a warning light every other month you sir are incredibly unlucky.
      01-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Not all have TA issues. My TAs were good at 105k kms. I changed them out just for peace of mind. At 105k, it's already above expectations for a wear and tear part.

My mech has a theory on why some cars suffer TA failures and some don't. He noticed that TAs tend to fail on cars that are driven less. They fail less on daily driven cars. He suspects that they stick when not used and when it's started again after a long time, the additional friction wears and damages the gears.
Mine recently failed at 35K miles and its a 2011. perhaps there is an amount of truth to your mechanics conclusion.

I wouldn't necessarily consider the Throttle actuators as a wear and tear / consumable item. At some point its just poor design and the actuators are definitely that. A steering wheel is a moving part, would anyone consider that a wear and tear part? based on this forum it looks like more TA's fail then not and fail early. I think for mine to fail with such low mileage is pretty ridiculous.

BMW designed the gears to fail otherwise they wouldn't have use plastic. it was a super shity move on their part.

-Mark
Appreciate 1
Ab28592.50
      01-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post

Not sure I agree. I pretty much daily mine year around since 6 years, developed TA codes at around 43k miles, low mileages in my book.
DCT with constant rev shift which I realize doesn't help, but want it.
Folks like Rebuild UK refurbish the units to hold up, i.e. BMWs design is far from optimal but have thrown the cost over to their customers in this case.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
kavo11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 (Lemans Blue)

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in Annapolis too. This makes me upset that I almost bought an extended warranty through them 2 months ago. Was yours the Fidelity platinum warranty? It's supposed to be an exclusionary warranty and there was no mention of TAs being excluded. They swore up and down that almost everything was covered including TAs and RBs. Glad I opted to self insure if that's the case
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

My first M3 needed them at 40k miles. Second M3 needed them at 107k miles.

I've helped a few members from the forum with theirs as well and the mileage also varied by a big margin. Replacement point is all over the map here.

Best bet is FCP as I have more faith in their lifetime warranty than any competitor.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavo11 View Post
I'm in Annapolis too. This makes me upset that I almost bought an extended warranty through them 2 months ago. Was yours the Fidelity platinum warranty? It's supposed to be an exclusionary warranty and there was no mention of TAs being excluded. They swore up and down that almost everything was covered including TAs and RBs. Glad I opted to self insure if that's the case
A BMW Service Contract (one activate before the 4 year expires) is different from any third party a BMW dealership may offer. It is quite possible Fidelity covers throttle actuators.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #15
kavo11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 (Lemans Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Quote:
A BMW Service Contract (one activate before the 4 year expires) is different from any third party a BMW dealership may offer. It is quite possible Fidelity covers throttle actuators.
I wasn't sure if OP has the bmw warranty or the fidelity. Definitely understand that there's differences between the two and even coverage level selected. More info would be helpful here
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
I wasn't sure if OP has the bmw warranty or the fidelity. Definitely understand that there's differences between the two and even coverage level selected. More info would be helpful here
Good Catch, I paid $4200 for mine (the BMW service contract) so I assumed thats what he had. This is actually my 2nd M3 and I got a majority of the contract money back when I sold the first one. I would have been pissed if I was in the OPs situation...I definitely dont see it as a wear and tear item.

Fidelity covers it

https://fidelitywarrantyservices.com...cle-protection

"Electronic throttle control"

BMW doesnt

https://pictures.dealer.com/bmwofriv...aab1eeea54.pdf
Appreciate 1
kavo1158.50