BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

03-25-2022, 03:12 AM   #1
lmb.m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E92 M3

Garage List
2006 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
DIY: Ultimate Clutch Pedal (with video)

Hey everyone,

I recently installed the Ultimate Clutch Pedal on my E92 M3 and randomly thought of recording the whole process to share and hopefully help anyone that's contemplating on DIYing it. I am no professional and just wanted to try doing this in my spare time. I was able to tackle this in around 30-45 minutes. The installation guide UCP provides might be sufficient but watching the process might be easier for some people; there is also a lot of information online on Youtube and in this forum. Also, excuse this is my first time ever recording working on the car and making a video so please bear with me haha

I have only driven a few miles with it installed but definitely felt a significant improvement on the pedal feel. First of all, you can feel the engagement point more which will effectively make shifting "easier" and "smoother". Second, it makes the clutch pedal feel much more linear like how it is supposed to be. Lastly, the UCP will make the clutch pedal align with the brake pedal, so you won't have to lift your leg as much while shifting

One con that I have noticed is that the pedal sticks to the floor for a few milliseconds after pressing in the clutch when the inner over-center spring is installed to the stiffest setting (closest mounting hole to the pedal). I haven't gotten a chance to try re-installing it or try the different settings, so it might just be my luck lol. (update: I ended up removing both springs and never looked back)

Please let me know if you have any questions/feedback or suggestions/tips that our fellow enthusiasts can use!

https://youtu.be/X0clVmlDwOo

Step-by-step, written:
1. Remove the under dash panel by removing the 3 T20 torx
2. Carefully lower and slide the dash panel - be careful as there are connectors. Remove all connectors and put the panel aside.
3. Start by removing the lightweight spring using a pick tool and safety glasses (silver spring that attaches to the hole in the factory pedal) .
4. Locate the c-clip within the factory pedal that is facing the firewall area. There are 2 c-clips and their job is to secure the barrel pins that keep the over-center springs in place. Note that earlier models only have 1 outer (bigger) spring while later models have both inner and outer springs - this, however, does not alter the procedure. Once the c-clips are off, push the barrel pin from left to right toward the passenger side of the car. The over-center spring will loosen and you will be able to remove it.
5. To remove the push pin that holds the pedal to the master cylinder (the green stuff with a hole in the middle), use a 1/4" extension (female side) to push the push pin toward the passenger side. You might need to use 2 hands here, so position yourself comfortably. Once it is pushed a bit, use the male side of the extension to push it further - be careful as it can fly.
6. Lastly, remove the e-clip that you can find on top of the pedal. This e-clip holds the pedal in the pivot shaft. Use a small flathead and stick it in between the opening of the clip.
7. Once the e-clip is out, you can finally remove the OEM pedal. Wiggle the pedal slowly but be careful of the master cylinder as it might still be in between the space in the pedal - so, make sure that the master cylinder is not in your way before pushing it hard.
8. Last step is to reinstall the UCP. Installation is basically the reverse of the uninstallation, but using a nut and a bolt instead of the c-clips & barrel pins for the over-center springs and a nut and a bolt instead of the push pin that connects the pedal to the master cylinder. The initial fitting of the Ultimate Clutch Pedal to the pivot shaft will also feel tighter as they replace the OEM plastic/nylon bushing with a self-lubricating solid bronze bushing - that said, be careful and gentle while pushing it into the pivot shaft.
9. Book a chiropractor appointment

Tips:
1. It is tight down there! Find yourself a comfortable position that allows you to use the most leverage.
2. More lights = better
3. Try out the different settings that they provide! Don't feel disappointed if your first clutch pedal setting does not feel right to you. You can play with the 2 over-center springs (or 1 if earlier model) and its 3 mounting options.

Disclaimer: Please do this at your own risk. This is solely meant to be used as a supplemental guide to what UCP has on their detailed 8-page instruction paper. I am also in no way affiliated with UCP.

Last edited by lmb.m3; 06-21-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 3