BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

07-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

How are electronic toll charges billed for rental cars?

I drove a rental and it didn't have toll sticker and I passed through an electronic-only toll booth.

Will the toll charges be sent to rental company and then billed to me? What happens if I drove my own car, will the toll charges be billed to me in the mail? Is it considered any moving violation? How does it work?

Thanks
      07-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

EZ pass may fine you $50.

http://fun107.com/this-is-what-happe...pay-your-toll/

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Look at your rental agreement it will tell you all you need to know. If it was your own car it will be billed to the plate (so go to your registered address). Nonpayments can lead to fines and and even court actions with deficiency reported on credit. Varies state by state.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Kxux
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

If you have EZPass you should be able to add the vehicle to your account and everything should be ok. I had done similar mistake (only I had new car and forgot to put it to my account before the trip). Fixed it about a day later and no charges were made by the toll.

But you may need to call them to make sure. Especially if it's been a while. Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

No I don't have Ezpass or any toll sticker as i don't need for local driving

Coming back to my original question is this considered a moving violation?

Will rental company now bill me charges along with fine ?

Why will there be a fine when there was no physical cashier to receive cash? It's no fault of mine and rental company should have had toll sticker

Last edited by boss2k; 07-01-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
No I don't have Ezpass or any toll sticker as i don't need for local driving

Coming back to my original question is this considered a moving violation?

Will rental company now bill me charges along with fine ?

Why will there be a fine when there was no physical cashier to receive cash? It's no fault of mine and rental company should have had toll sticker
Again, it varies by state. You have provided us zero info. What state are you in? In most states it is a civil fine, in some it is a moving violation. It varies by state. Also, whether a moving or civil fine, will still show on credit it not paid and forwarded to a collection agency.

Also, what does your rental contract state?

It is absolutely your liability if you didn't pay for toll protection (rental company handles any tolls) whether they have a sticker or not.

I don't see why you are confused here. Is $8 really that much that you needed to create a thread about this? Don't get mad at us for giving you answers you don't like.

Normally, the rental car company says, again, in the rental agreement how these things will be billed. Normally they will automatically charge the card on file for the toll amount plus a "processing fee".
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Typically the toll is billed to the vehicle registered user (rental company) and they then bill you. Not a moving violation if it was electronic tolls only (no cash lanes); likely not for the EZpass lanes in most cases as well.

I’ve done it many times with rental cars and my own car (no EZpass, no toll roads locally) and never had to do anything except pay when billed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Again, it varies by state. You have provided us zero info. What state are you in? In most states it is a civil fine, in some it is a moving violation. It varies by state. Also, whether a moving or civil fine, will still show on credit it not paid and forwarded to a collection agency.

It is absolutely your liability if you didn't pay for toll protection (rental company handles any tolls) whether they have a sticker or not.

I don't see why you are confused here. Is $8 really that much that you needed to create a thread about this? Don't get mad at us for giving you answers you don't like.

Normally, the rental car company says, again, in the rental agreement how these things will be billed. Normally they will automatically charge the card on file for the toll amount plus a "processing fee".
Dude

I have never said I will not pay toll charges, am I stupid to do that ? I am trying to find the process for paying tolls while in a rental or my own car. If there was a cashier would have paid then and there and since these are electronic only and I don't need toll sticker in my state trying to find what happens in this circumstances

I am in Atlanta and the toll booth was in Kentucky state .

Immediately when I get the bill will pay the toll, no questions about it.

And yes I needed to start a thread because I have questions and get valuable feedback here , is that a problem To you??
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Typically the toll is billed to the vehicle registered user (rental company) and they then bill you. Not a moving violation if it was electronic tolls only (no cash lanes); likely not for the EZpass lanes in most cases as well.

I’ve done it many times with rental cars and my own car (no EZpass, no toll roads locally) and never had to do anything except pay when billed.
Thanks that's exactly what I am trying to find out
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

Dude

I have never said I will not pay toll charges, am I stupid to do that ? I am trying to find the process for paying tolls while in a rental or my own car. If there was a cashier would have paid then and there and since these are electronic only and I don't need toll sticker in my state trying to find what happens in this circumstances

I am in Atlanta and the toll booth was in Kentucky state .

Immediately when I get the bill will pay the toll, no questions about it.

And yes I needed to start a thread because I have questions and get valuable feedback here , is that a problem To you??
Ok. Still gave us no info. Here, why don't you just post the rental agreement, and we will read it for you, and then just give you the answer as to how it is billed and whether you are on the hook.

Also, read here - https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-paymen...state=kentucky

See here for rental car toll question specific to Kentucky and what kind of fine it is - https://riverlink.com/faqs/
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I can only share what I know from past experiences...

While most tolls can be paid on-line (look up Kentucky tolls?) after the fact without penalty (I believe the I-Pass system allows 5 days?)....

your rental car company probably already has a deal setup. And the deal works like this...

They are going to bill you a set daily charge for tolls. The charge will be for each and every day of the rental even if you didn't go through a toll on a given day and if you try to pay the tolls on-line (as I noted above), it will not let you - it will say "sorry dude, your rental company is about to take yo up the you know what..."

And that is exactly what happened to us. I think Avis was $3.95 per day (maybe $4.95 per day) and I went through tolls on the LAST day of our spring break rental. So one day of tolls that totaled maybe $5, turned into a $20 bill (might have been $30, I just remember thinking - wow, I got screwed).

So the real question is - did you rent from a name brand place?
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I can only share what I know from past experiences...

While most tolls can be paid on-line (look up Kentucky tolls?) after the fact without penalty (I believe the I-Pass system allows 5 days?)....

your rental car company probably already has a deal setup. And the deal works like this...

They are going to bill you a set daily charge for tolls. The charge will be for each and every day of the rental even if you didn't go through a toll on a given day and if you try to pay the tolls on-line (as I noted above), it will not let you - it will say "sorry dude, your rental company is about to take yo up the you know what..."

And that is exactly what happened to us. I think Avis was $3.95 per day (maybe $4.95 per day) and I went through tolls on the LAST day of our spring break rental. So one day of tolls that totaled maybe $5, turned into a $20 bill (might have been $30, I just remember thinking - wow, I got screwed).

So the real question is - did you rent from a name brand place?
Yes Hertz, I will check with them when I drop off car tomorrow

As you said I have to go through rental company and pay toll because the state has the car has car registration details only which belongs to Hertz. I am perfectly fine with that and even when I take my own car I may get bill in the mail which I can pay online

Just wanted to find out details
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

But does your m3 even barely spin tires
Appreciate 1
Nikolas312.50
      07-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

WTF does any of this have to do with F80/82/83s?
alex23642857.00
Clark_Kent2223.00
      07-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Yes Hertz, I will check with them when I drop off car tomorrow

As you said I have to go through rental company and pay toll because the state has the car has car registration details only which belongs to Hertz. I am perfectly fine with that and even when I take my own car I may get bill in the mail which I can pay online

Just wanted to find out details
Hertz will be your credit card an additional charge after the fact when they receive the bill.

Been there, done that.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #16
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
But does your m3 even barely spin tires
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
If it's florida https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml gives a good explanation for how it works per rental company. It still will vary by state though
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Hertz will bill you. They billed me when the same happened and it was an unmanned toll plaza. Also, either tolls are a lot higher in Canada ($20-ish if I remember) or they tacked on a generous service charge for the visiting American.
      07-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #19
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Here in Texas, I just get a Hertz or Avis charge for running through tolls. There's a daily convenience charge that the rental company will charge you, then you pay for the tolls on top of that. It's automatically charged to your credit card.

And yes, it's expensive. I've racked up $150+ in toll charges just for the month of June alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #20
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I missed one two Monday's ago in Oklahoma. Called the toll authority (pikepass) and asked if I could come down and pay it. They said yes. Did so and got a receipt. If they try to bill me, I have proof that I paid. Part of the system was down for a few days too, but according to the state, not the enforcement cameras.
      07-04-2018, 02:33 AM   #21
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Hertz didn't charge my credit card when I entered & used a toll road down in Florida.

Maybe you are lucky
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #22
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEisbaer View Post
Hertz didn't charge my credit card when I entered & used a toll road down in Florida.

Maybe you are lucky
Was this recently? System was collected but not posting transactions for quite a while. Now they are posting them.
Attached Images