BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #23
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Cool, thanks.
Did you get around to replacing your tensioners?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #24
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Sorry, forgot to update. I replaced the driver's side but it did not help. Ive tried half a dozen times to get the passenger side out but have given up and will have to take it to the shop to get that one done. They require a lot of force to get loose and while I can get a socket on it with a wobbler I can't generate enough force to break it loose. The angle is almost 90 degrees and it just won't go. Yesterday I had my wife start the car while I had my hand on the tensioner and I could feel the noise pretty strongly so I'm confident it will fix the problem once replaced.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #25
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Sorry, forgot to update. I replaced the driver's side but it did not help. Ive tried half a dozen times to get the passenger side out but have given up and will have to take it to the shop to get that one done. They require a lot of force to get loose and while I can get a socket on it with a wobbler I can't generate enough force to break it loose. The angle is almost 90 degrees and it just won't go. Yesterday I had my wife start the car while I had my hand on the tensioner and I could feel the noise pretty strongly so I'm confident it will fix the problem once replaced.
Keep us posted on if this fixes the noise at start up.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #26
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
If you removed the passenger side wheel, fender liner and if necessary the reinforcement plate, you should be able to access the tensioner.
      09-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #27
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
If you removed the passenger side wheel, fender liner and if necessary the reinforcement plate, you should be able to access the tensioner.
Awesome, I'll try that tomorrow! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #28
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6 COMP PACK DCT

Here's the best way to do it. After some research I finally did it. Move the coolant reservoir out of the way and access from the top.
Attached Images

03-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #29
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

I removed by driver's side tensioner last week to inspect it, chasing a noise I have in the driver side bank right there at the timing chain. I got it out, no problem, but when putting it back, it took A LOT of pressure to get it started. I got it on the first thread and it felt REALLY tight, as if it was cross-threading. I turned it about 1mm, got nervous and removed it. Had it towed to my indy and had them put it in.

I don't know what your experience was with it, but the whole stainless part into an aluminum head was very scary. I'd like to know how it felt when you put it in. Was it super tight feeling on that first thread? I can't imagine doing the passenger side. The lack of view would scare me.

I applaud your ability to do it yourself - did it ultimately fix your issue? Mine still sounds exactly the same.

Did/does yours sound like this:

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #30
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
I removed by driver's side tensioner last week to inspect it, chasing a noise I have in the driver side bank right there at the timing chain. I got it out, no problem, but when putting it back, it took A LOT of pressure to get it started. I got it on the first thread and it felt REALLY tight, as if it was cross-threading. I turned it about 1mm, got nervous and removed it. Had it towed to my indy and had them put it in.

I don't know what your experience was with it, but the whole stainless part into an aluminum head was very scary. I'd like to know how it felt when you put it in. Was it super tight feeling on that first thread? I can't imagine doing the passenger side. The lack of view would scare me.

I applaud your ability to do it yourself - did it ultimately fix your issue? Mine still sounds exactly the same.

Did/does yours sound like this:

Thanks!
Mine did not sound like that. Only one strong noise 1-2 seconds after cranking the engine.
Almost like the tensioner kicks in 100% force and then all is quiet. Now if the tensioner never kicks is then it may very well sound like that. When I was playing with the part it looks like it is spring loaded from the inside plus hydraulic activation.
I only replaced the passenger side and I think it fixed my problem there but I still have the one noise left that I think it's from the driver side tensioner now. When I put the new one in it went in by hand very easily about 3/4 of the way then I used the wrench.
      03-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #31
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtemauricio View Post
Mine did not sound like that. Only one strong noise 1-2 seconds after cranking the engine.
Almost like the tensioner kicks in 100% force and then all is quiet. Now if the tensioner never kicks is then it may very well sound like that. When I was playing with the part it looks like it is spring loaded from the inside plus hydraulic activation.
I only replaced the passenger side and I think it fixed my problem there but I still have the one noise left that I think it's from the driver side tensioner now. When I put the new one in it went in by hand very easily about 3/4 of the way then I used the wrench.
Man, I don't get that. There was no way mine was going back in by hand, even to just catch the first thread. I tried pushing the guide with my finger a bit to see how tight it was and it was super solid, couldn't really move it. It was pushed as far to the center of the engine as it could be. Now you've got me wondering again....

If you do the driver side please let me know how that one goes. It might be different, based on the engine pics?

Last edited by gfisher99; 03-05-2017 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Realized you did passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #32
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Man, I don't get that. There was no way mine was going back in by hand, even to just catch the first thread. I tried pushing the guide with my finger a bit to see how tight it was and it was super solid, couldn't really move it. It was pushed as far to the center of the engine as it could be. Now you've got me wondering again....

If you do the driver side please let me know how that one goes. It might be different, based on the engine pics?
I'm trying to get the driver side out but it seems a lot harder to break it loose.
      03-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #33
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just got it done. It came out by hand once I broke loose. Then the new one went on by hand half way and it got tight and I finished with the wrench but very easy.
I did it with the car completely cold so don't know if that makes things easier maybe.
      03-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #34
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just got it done. It came out by hand once I broke loose. Then the new one went on by hand half way and it got tight and I finished with the wrench but very easy.
I did it with the car completely cold so don't know if that makes things easier maybe.
Here are some pics. The one on the right is the driver side. The driver side tensioner was shot, it was way easier to compress than the other one that came out of the passenger side.
Attached Images

03-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #35
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here are some pics. The one on the right is the driver side. The driver side tensioner was shot, it was way easier to compress than the other one that came out of the passenger side.
That baffles me. No way in hell mine was going in by hand, at all. Makes me think the plastic guide inside the engine is not right, which is what is probably causing my noise. Might have to take in to BMW for diagnosis. Thanks for following up!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #36
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I'm getting a noise after extended parking on startup, intermittently, and a noise after each oil change. It *sounds* like what a loose tensioner would sound like, and "only after an oil change" and "long park" makes me think either oil is draining back when it shouldn't, or a tensioner is no longer tensioning. Might buy and replace just for fun, at 114,000 miles, the car is going to sit for a while now that winter is here
      07-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #37
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Help

Ok Guys, what's the deal with the passenger side. I have spent two nights on it and given up both times. How on earth did anyone actually get that one changed? I cant see it. I can barely touch it with the tip of a finger. I had to use my phone to take a picture to even locate it because it cant be seen. I removed the cooling reservoir. With the AC lines so close I cant get a socket over it and even if I did, it is inside 90 degrees so any universal is pointless. I have a pile of sockets, extensions, swivels and nothing even comes close. I considered removing the tire and wheel well liner, but from what i see there is solid metal between the head of the tensioner and any direct path from below even with a workbench full of swivels and a lot of luck. How did anyone actually do this??
      08-16-2019, 03:15 AM   #38
schlichtm3
Driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition 2019

Anyone done the the passenger side without removing AC Lines?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #39
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Ok Guys, what's the deal with the passenger side. I have spent two nights on it and given up both times. How on earth did anyone actually get that one changed? I cant see it. I can barely touch it with the tip of a finger. I had to use my phone to take a picture to even locate it because it cant be seen. I removed the cooling reservoir. With the AC lines so close I cant get a socket over it and even if I did, it is inside 90 degrees so any universal is pointless. I have a pile of sockets, extensions, swivels and nothing even comes close. I considered removing the tire and wheel well liner, but from what i see there is solid metal between the head of the tensioner and any direct path from below even with a workbench full of swivels and a lot of luck. How did anyone actually do this??
I'm doing this next weekend, I plan on using a swiveling wrench or line wrench. Getting it out shouldn't be too bad, I'm just worried about getting the new one in. I mean, it can't be as bad as the starter mounting bolts.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:13 AM   #40
schlichtm3
Driver
Germany
Rep

Good to know, let us know, if it works with line wrench. Here in Germany everyone told me the AC must be disconnected and removed to get access.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #41
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlichtm3 View Post
Good to know, let us know, if it works with line wrench. Here in Germany everyone told me the AC must be disconnected and removed to get access.
That's my goal, I really don't feel like opening the a/c system.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #42
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Quote:
Good news! I did a little recon today. I agree that there is a ton of crap in the way going in from the top. However, invert, invert, always invert!

Straight shot from underneath the car. A/C lines are no where near it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #43
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good news! I did a little recon today. I agree that there is a ton of crap in the way going in from the top. However, invert, invert, always invert!

Straight shot from underneath the car. A/C lines are no where near it.
UPDATE: Removal from underneath isn't too bad, I can get it with a short 17mm socket, universal, and about two feet of extensions.

Installation: Can't get my hand up there because the steering rack is in the way. I might take out the coolant reservoir, or at least move it to get the new one started by hand.
Appreciate 2
tdott3930.50
      10-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #44
schlichtm3
Driver
Germany
Rep

I changed drivers side last week, today I had the clattering again. Change the days also on the Passanger side.
Appreciate 0