BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

07-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #23
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

If want you just want to run the 2500's for the street and not burn them down before changing to a true track compound you could run the ds.uno for your track pads and have no issues going back and forth with the 2500's.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #24
LeveragedTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogyBear View Post
How much better is Project Mu HC+ from the DS2500? Is there a point in trying these or should I just do the track pads? I've gotten pad swapping down to 30 mins at this point so I'm thinking it's best to just get a pair of dedicated track pads.
HC+ are good pads - don't really fade and they have really high initial bite (0.62 friction coefficient if I remember correctly). However, the high bite means they wear really fast.

On the street, they're fairly quiet for how capable they are on the track.

I'm now on Ferodo 1.11's - nicer to modulate than the HC+, but loud AF on the street. Almost embarrassing to be honest.

RE: bedding, I find that a couple of hot laps at the track is enough to get rid of any shuddering during braking because of pad deposits.
      07-18-2020, 01:35 AM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogyBear View Post
How much better is Project Mu HC+ from the DS2500? Is there a point in trying these or should I just do the track pads? I've gotten pad swapping down to 30 mins at this point so I'm thinking it's best to just get a pair of dedicated track pads.
The HC+ is a lot better. They handle up to 800 C. The DS2500 is 500 C. That extra 300 degrees is quite a bit of headroom when you're on a track. They do squeal with stock sliding calipers. I switched to HC-CS and they are pretty silent on street.

Overall the DS2500 is a quite outdated brake pad. It's been around for 20 years and it hasn't been updated.
      07-18-2020, 01:41 AM   #26
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
That hasn't been my experience with nearly a dozen sets of them front and rear. No damage to the painted calipers, either set of wheels, or the car's paint. It comes right off with Iron-X and I even daily drive on those pads so the wheels sit dirty with them for a long time, sometimes.
I've had quite a different experience. Tried it once, ruined a set of wheels and never went back. It embeds into the paint leaving metallic flakes that rusts and turns brown.
      07-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #27
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The HC+ is a lot better. They handle up to 800 C. The DS2500 is 500 C. That extra 300 degrees is quite a bit of headroom when you're on a track. They do squeal with stock sliding calipers. I switched to HC-CS and they are pretty silent on street.

Overall the DS2500 is a quite outdated brake pad. It's been around for 20 years and it hasn't been updated.
Interesting read here came to buy a set of DS2500 but now after reading I kind of want to get away. RN im currently doing a lot of canyon driving and getting the brakes real hot. The street pads aren't cutting it at all and im looking for something that has a nice bite, low noise level, and low brake dust if all of that is even possible. Im still on stock rotors and lines eventually will do BBK but for now I just wanted a better overall street/track pad. Im just hearing my ABS screaming coming into turns and the two things I need to change currently are tires and pads. Point in the right direction?
      07-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #28
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey_domm View Post
Interesting read here came to buy a set of DS2500 but now after reading I kind of want to get away. RN im currently doing a lot of canyon driving and getting the brakes real hot. The street pads aren't cutting it at all and im looking for something that has a nice bite, low noise level, and low brake dust if all of that is even possible. Im still on stock rotors and lines eventually will do BBK but for now I just wanted a better overall street/track pad. Im just hearing my ABS screaming coming into turns and the two things I need to change currently are tires and pads. Point in the right direction?

If you're getting into ABS, you need stickier tires. As soon as the brakes lock and ABS kicks in, that means the brakes are not the weak point.

DS2500 is fine if you just want a more aggressive street pad. It will work in the cold without screeching, and can take some heat without totally falling off the cliff when it gets hot. Again, it's a hybrid pad so don't expect miracles.

There's really no such thing as "nice bite, low noise, low brake dust". If dirty wheels really bug you, consider a ceramic pad which will make a lighter colored dust that's harder to see. The Akebonos are a popular ceramic pad, but don't expect much as far as sustained high-temp performance.
      07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #29
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you're getting into ABS, you need stickier tires. As soon as the brakes lock and ABS kicks in, that means the brakes are not the weak point.

DS2500 is fine if you just want a more aggressive street pad. It will work in the cold without screeching, and can take some heat without totally falling off the cliff when it gets hot. Again, it's a hybrid pad so don't expect miracles.

There's really no such thing as "nice bite, low noise, low brake dust". If dirty wheels really bug you, consider a ceramic pad which will make a lighter colored dust that's harder to see. The Akebonos are a popular ceramic pad, but don't expect much as far as sustained high-temp performance.
I have some pretty good videos of me chasing a GT3RS through the canyons and on his ass thd whole time. You can hear my tires screaming for life and ABS into almost every turn. I feel the DS2500 is a great pad to use on the street but saw comments regarding "its out of date" or an old pad to use? What about material deposit on the rotor being an issue with that pad?
      07-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #30
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have some pretty good videos of me chasing a GT3RS through the canyons and on his ass thd whole time. You can hear my tires screaming for life and ABS into almost every turn. I feel the DS2500 is a great pad to use on the street but saw comments regarding "its out of date" or an old pad to use? What about material deposit on the rotor being an issue with that pad?
Just because it is an older formula doesn't mean it's bad. Like any other item, you have to manage it and your own expectations.
      07-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #31
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just because it is an older formula doesn't mean it's bad. Like any other item, you have to manage it and your own expectations.
You have a good point there. Any recommendations where to buy gonna give them a go.
      07-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #32
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a good point there. Any recommendations where to buy gonna give them a go.
Zeckhausen Racing. The owner is a BMW guy and one of the most knowledgeable resources I know.

www.zeckhausen.com
      07-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #33
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's perfectly fine for a street pad. Canyon runs is nothing like the abuse the brakes take on track so it should hold up ok.

A more modern alternative to the DS2500 is the Stoptech Sport 309 model (not Street) pad. They can handle up to 700 C (higher than DS2500) in a similar street/track performance package. I don't know if it is cheaper for the M3 than the DS2500.
      07-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #34
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It's perfectly fine for a street pad. Canyon runs is nothing like the abuse the brakes take on track so it should hold up ok.

A more modern alternative to the DS2500 is the Stoptech Sport 309 model (not Street) pad. They can handle up to 700 C (higher than DS2500) in a similar street/track performance package. I don't know if it is cheaper for the M3 than the DS2500.

Thanks for reminding me of those, I would agree those are decent. I think this is what they include in their BBKs. My only gripe was the pedal feel kinda sucked, but considering the price and that it's a street pad it's not enough to disqualify them.
      07-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #35
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Anyone know if you can get that Stoptech Sport pad for the Essex 9668/9440 calipers?
      04-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #36
IamFODI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Hope y'all don't mind a thread bump.

For those of you who had this deposit issue with the DS2500, what calipers and tires were you running?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #37
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFODI View Post
Hope y'all don't mind a thread bump.

For those of you who had this deposit issue with the DS2500, what calipers and tires were you running?
Mine were on stock calipers. I think you'd get this issue with any caliper as its a pad issue, not a caliper issue. Although if you run a large 380mm or larger brake disc and 6 piston caliper, you may not see the issue as it is so big that it won't heat up as much.

I think it's best to avoid this pad if you plan on running track days on it. There's many better compounds out there now. DS2500 was a good street pad 20 years ago but it hasn't changed since then.