BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

07-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

AiM SOLO 2dl vs. Vbox HD2

I’m weighing the options on both. I know the vbox is roughly twice the price but the software seems to be a little more feature rich. People complain the AiM software is hard to use but I feel confident I’ll be able to figure it out.

I’m kind leaning towards AiM because it seems better setup for a car that’s not a full blown race car. Also seems to have a larger install base to share data.

Anybody have any experience using either? I’d couldn’t find much on here for people using the vbox unit but seems fairly popular on Rennlist.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

AIM software is a little clunky but there are a gazillion people using it and lots of resources to get yourself comfortable. There is a new version of RaceStudio coming soon that's in beta and has been previewed.

The install base is the biggest reason, IMO. Being able to share data and swap with others will make you a better driver, hands down.
      07-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

I recommend the AiM. Like said above, there’s just so much more widespread use and support of the system that you can share data with others and learn from them etc. If you’re not racing and don’t need a full-blown AiM dash, just buy a Solo DL2 and be done with it. If you want to get extra fancy and have super easy video/data overlay buy the SmartyCam too.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the AIM stuff is even used by professional race teams. I have seen Smartycams inside IMSA cars.

And if it's any consolation, the Cosworth software is pretty crap too. It's not intuitive, has lots of quirks, and takes a long time to get setup the way you want.
      07-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
The AIM Solo 2DL is very very accurate. I was out at a track today and it was giving identical times as the transponder down to the hundredths. Yes, the AIM software is old and clunky at times—-a lot of times. But it CAN generally do what you want it to. If you look in my build thread, I am constantly providing screen shots from the AIM software to illustrate something. There’s so much good stuff in there to look at.

Don’t know anything about the Vbox. But the AIM is worth the price of admission.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      07-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Oh—-and the AIM support is incredible. They have offices on the East and West Coast. You can always talk to a human being. And they are very responsive.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
There is a beta version of AIM Race Studio 3 out that shows great improvements and delivers things that were missing. For example, the most important thing to me is a built-in Google Earth type view so you don't have to export your GPS info to analyze it in a different tool. You can download the beta from their web site, but it does require signing up for an account. I'm assuming they'll have a monthly plan where they'll store your data so you can more easily sync it between devices and hopefully a good mobile app.

With this update, AIM looks even better than it did. Note that it does have some bugs still.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Kelse921131.50
///Mobbin1476.50
      07-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Aim Solo 2DL for the win. Easy-ish to use, massive install base, super accurate
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:18 AM   #9
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
I’m weighing the options on both. I know the vbox is roughly twice the price but the software seems to be a little more feature rich. People complain the AiM software is hard to use but I feel confident I’ll be able to figure it out.

I’m kind leaning towards AiM because it seems better setup for a car that’s not a full blown race car. Also seems to have a larger install base to share data.

Anybody have any experience using either? I’d couldn’t find much on here for people using the vbox unit but seems fairly popular on Rennlist.
VBOX HD2 is awesome, ability to compare laps side-by-side and never misses a session, idiotproof. Downside is the installed base is much smaller (as evidenced by the comments here). At Laguna this weekend and will post up some images next week
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
VBOX HD2 is awesome, ability to compare laps side-by-side and never misses a session, idiotproof. Downside is the installed base is much smaller (as evidenced by the comments here). At Laguna this weekend and will post up some images next week
That’s the main reason I am even entertaining the vbox hd2. The side by side comparison is something that is great if you have someone faster than you throw down a lap and then you can directly compare to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
There is a beta version of AIM Race Studio 3 out that shows great improvements and delivers things that were missing. For example, the most important thing to me is a built-in Google Earth type view so you don't have to export your GPS info to analyze it in a different tool. You can download the beta from their web site, but it does require signing up for an account. I'm assuming they'll have a monthly plan where they'll store your data so you can more easily sync it between devices and hopefully a good mobile app.

With this update, AIM looks even better than it did. Note that it does have some bugs still.
Did you figure out how to compare laps between different sessions in the new Beta?
      07-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:

I installed the beta on the same computer as the current version and it completely crapped out the installation of both versions.

I will have to wait for the off season to get into the new version. Will give me something to do in the winter
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #13
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Did you figure out how to compare laps between different sessions in the new Beta?
I don't think that functionality is there yet. You might have to export laps in RS2 and make a new "session" to combine them.

If the functionality is there, I just haven't found it with the constant prompts to log in to use RS3.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I installed the beta on the same computer as the current version and it completely crapped out the installation of both versions.

I will have to wait for the off season to get into the new version. Will give me something to do in the winter
The beta should be installed in the default location (C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio3_beta) which has a folder name that shouldn't conflict with the stable versions. Tracks and sessions were missing from my beta install but once I closed and opened up the beta again, the tracks loaded on their own.

I had to specify the data folder location for the imported sessions (C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio3\user\data)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Wish we knew more about their mobile IOS application. I thought a public beta was supposed to be launched earlier this year.
      07-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Hey now, I created an official data analysis/telemetry thread and you chumps didn't even bother posting this info there? C'mon.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507756
      07-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #17
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just a warning -

If some channel value doesn't make sense in Race Studio 3 beta, it's probably a bug. For example, GPS position accuracy values can be very incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #18
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post

The beta should be installed in the default location (C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio3_beta) which has a folder name that shouldn't conflict with the stable versions. Tracks and sessions were missing from my beta install but once I closed and opened up the beta again, the tracks loaded on their own.

I had to specify the data folder location for the imported sessions (C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio3\user\data)
I did install the Beta into its default directory.
Not only it messed up the non beta software, it messed it up even after I removed the beta. I had to delete the rs3 completely and re-install a new copy.

I also downloaded or copied data into \rs3betadata\ directory to make sure the data is separated.

A note to all RS3 users, the software allows you to export almost any customization. I strongly recommend creating a \AiM-Export directory and export into it the device config, user profile, tracks, etc etc. Export every thing you need to wipe the software clean and reinstall fresh copy. copy that export directory to a USB drive. If your laptop dies, you can be up and running quickly.

In the download setting, select a data directory that is not in the AiM path, so if Aim messes something in its default paths, you data is not there.

I keep my data separated by years. So for 2020 my data directories are:
For Laps:
c:\aimdata\2020\laps

And for video (I unchecked "same directory")
c:\aimdata\2020\video
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Has anybody tried installing the AiM software on a couple different virtual machines to analyze laps side by side? This could be a way to get that feature without the software actually supporting it?

Also you could install the beta on a VM to test with as well. That would be the way I'd handle it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
Has anybody tried installing the AiM software on a couple different virtual machines to analyze laps side by side? This could be a way to get that feature without the software actually supporting it?

Also you could install the beta on a VM to test with as well. That would be the way I'd handle it.
I have both the legacy and beta running on my Mac via VM ware with Windows 10. No issues thus far. While I like the UI for the beta it's far from complete. No sense using it over the fully featured product.
      08-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

AIM has been around for ages, but the updates of firmware/software/hardware comes at a snail pace. People have been waiting for a Mac/iOS version of their software for YEARS, but still no end in sight.

VBox appears to be more willing to lead the charge. If you head over to Rennlist, the Porsche guys love their setup. The HD2 setup supports the two camera setup and even live streaming right from the box compared to the AIM that requires a whole bunch more components to make it work.

I've had a SoloDL since they've come out, but pretty close to pulling the trigger for a VBox.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:24 AM   #22
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Cheap alternative

There is another option for those who want to spare some bucks (my case). Recently, I've put together some code to use a GoPro as video and GPS along with the MLaptimer app. It is very straight forward to use, no need for wiring into any ECU neither pairing different devices via bluetooth. All you need is to go out on the track while recording with the GoPro and with the MLaptimer app. By the way, the MLaptimer for iPhone is a really cool app, specially if you consider that the car sensors (but the GPS) are very accurate.

The code I've put together will parse the MLaptimer low res GPS track with the high res GPS track from the camera, sync everything together, and output a csv file for rendering videos with Dashware or RaceRender. Even better, it also outputs a .vbo file, which can be used in CT to analyze the driving, with very good quality (of course, quality depends on how good you set up the GoPro). Check the results below and access www.easy-telemetry.com to know more. Note: processing the app files is free, but there is a little fee for processing GoPro files.

Appreciate 1