BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Increased Emissions- no limp mode-Safe to drive?

Hi Everyone,
I dont have a code reader and have not had a chance to get to my shop. I got the dreaded check engine light and increased emissions warning. No limp mode, happened on a cold engine for the first time today about 2 mins after second start up of the day. Engine runs fine from a sound and performance perspective at this time. I suspect bad o2 sensor in the secondary cats based on what I read. Until I get a chance to get it to the shop, is it something I should not drive the car until I get a diagnosis or is it pretty safe to drive it this way?

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 11-16-2015 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Safe to drive. Just rear 02 that do not affect performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Battery! Had the same trouble!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Increased Emissions and Check Engine warnings are very often caused by a battery that might be on its last legs. See this video below to check the battery "health". Consider buying a battery tender to keep your AGM battery alive a bit longer. The E90 series M3 alternator does not charge the battery at WOT. Combine that with folks who drive with their lights on all the time and phones plugged in and your battery has a hard life. Consequently, if its steady state voltage drops low enough odd codes can be thrown.

damn, my battery charges at 13.8-14.0. This guys in the video was 14.5, I wander if it's because my battery is older and alternator just adjusts the charge to the battery age!? anyone has any idea?
      11-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
asbjorjo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 M3

Garage List
2013 X5 xDrive35d  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Increased Emissions and Check Engine warnings are very often caused by a battery that might be on its last legs. See this video below to check the battery "health". Consider buying a battery tender to keep your AGM battery alive a bit longer. The E90 series M3 alternator does not charge the battery at WOT. Combine that with folks who drive with their lights on all the time and phones plugged in and your battery has a hard life. Consequently, if its steady state voltage drops low enough odd codes can be thrown.

Yes, lights on at all times is really bad for your battery....

This is why we in countries where winters are harsh and it's mandatory to keep your lights on, always, everyone has their car hooked up to a charger and replace the battery every two months.

Just keep your lights on, will ya? People around here don't need any more crazy ideas for leaving their lights off.

If your battery gets in trouble by charging your phone it will have very serious problems getting your car to run.
      11-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. My battery is 7 months old. In the shop now, will let everyone know what happens once I get more detail.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

It was a stuck open thermostat.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

And no codes pointing towards the thermostat?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Codes pointed to that and once checked it was confirmed. I don't have the codes now, but will possibly get tomorrow when I pick up my car. I was really expecting an o2 sensor so this was a surprise. As we know this can be a nagging problem so lets hope its fixed this first time.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

heres the code:
2B59 - P0128

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
heres the code:
2B59 - P0128
Hmmm, almost can't believe it.
If no code pointed toward's the thermostat, then this sound's like an common method to press money out of you.
Today it's the thermostat...
Oh wait...
CEL again
Then it's the EGR valve
CEL again
Then we might swap the windshield wiper's
CEL again
Oh how about TBA,s ?
Yeah let's do this!
CEL....
get yourself an OBD2 reader otherwise, you can honestly call yourself one of the great supporter's of your stealership.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Hmmm, almost can't believe it.
If no code pointed toward's the thermostat, then this sound's like an common method to press money out of you.
Today it's the thermostat...
Oh wait...
CEL again
Then it's the EGR valve
CEL again
Then we might swap the windshield wiper's
CEL again
Oh how about TBA,s ?
Yeah let's do this!
CEL....
get yourself an OBD2 reader otherwise, you can honestly call yourself one of the great supporter's of your stealership.

What is the world are you talking about? The code as I said points to thermostat and the problem is now gone. It was all of $200 to fix. I dont even use a dealer. You are out of line. Here is the code description:
2B59 - P0128
Information saved in DME
Fault code 2B59 - P0128
Fault text Coolant thermostat monitoring
Fault description Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
Condition for fault identification Test condition: For the period K_TMOT_OBD_DIFF_T_DELTA the sensor deviates from the model by more than -25° Kelvin (K_TMOT_OBD_DIFF_HIGH)…
. Terminal condition: Engine running
. Voltage condition: None
Condition for fault memory entry Once during warm-up phase
Action in service 1. Replace thermostat
. 2. Perform electrical check on coolant sensor and replace as indicated
Fault effect and breakdown warning Engine warms to normal operating temperature very slowly / ineffective interior heating / MIL on after engine runs 2x
Driver information Warning light: MIL
Service instruction None

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

My guess is the OP did not have a code reader. He simply got the Idrive message for increased emissions, which could be a side effect of cold running. Had he pulled the codes and gotten 2B59, then he would have known it was a thermostat issue. There is a code list thread you can review.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #14
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
My guess is the OP did not have a code reader. He simply got the Idrive message for increased emissions, which could be a side effect of cold running. Had he pulled the codes and gotten 2B59, then he would have known it was a thermostat issue. There is a code list thread you can review.
Yep, same guess.
Calm down, we're all just human

Last edited by vsix; 11-22-2015 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #15
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes, the OP stated in Post #1 that he does not have a code reader. The only notice he had, therefore, was the idrive or check control, which offers very limited feedback. That is what said increased emissions. Some good guesses as to what that could mean, but guesses are not a substitute for reading the actual codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
I just had this happen to my E92 M3 this week with the "increased emissions" on the Idrive and yellow engine symbol and when I hooked up the scanner it showed P0128. I checked my coolant level and it was on the low end, so I topped it upped with coolant and distilled water and reset the code. No new code since and the car runs great, so am I just lucky or are some people changing thermostats just because the garage says so? I hope this may help.
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #17
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

I replaced the thermostat and it went away. No issue ever since and its been 3 years now. But my fluid was not low. If it was low certainly start there.

Last edited by Mvy; 12-17-2018 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #18
aboutsize14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

who makes a good code reader? Same issue as above ?

Im getting the same emissions reading on my 2009 E92. The car has Bimmerworld long tubes and catted x pipe,EPIC tune. I know the cats have been replaced one time a couple of years ago, and may be on there way out? Pure speculation though without a code reader. The car runs great, and is enjoying the cooler Az weather we are having here. Does take a long time to come up to temp though. Im new to Bmw's sorry to say. Next step is to get a code reader. Anybody have a idea to affordable code reader? Any suggestions would be awesome. Sorry if this the wrong thread to ask this question.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #19
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoutNAZ View Post
Im getting the same emissions reading on my 2009 E92. The car has Bimmerworld long tubes and catted x pipe,EPIC tune. I know the cats have been replaced one time a couple of years ago, and may be on there way out? Pure speculation though without a code reader. The car runs great, and is enjoying the cooler Az weather we are having here. Does take a long time to come up to temp though. Im new to Bmw's sorry to say. Next step is to get a code reader. Anybody have a idea to affordable code reader? Any suggestions would be awesome. Sorry if this the wrong thread to ask this question.
No surprise this issue seems to come up when it gets cold! Carly, Foxwell, even free code readers should be able to pull this code. I used Carly. Check out this site to help you figure out a code reader that works for you.
youcanic.com/guide/bmw-obd2-scanners

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I had this too and it was the thermostat.
The best part was the Service Advisor told me it was going to be $1,4xx to fix and he could cut it down to $1,1xx since I've been going to him for years.
Then he go BMW to cover it under the Emissions warranty! Winning.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:41 AM   #21
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I had this too and it was the thermostat.
The best part was the Service Advisor told me it was going to be $1,4xx to fix and he could cut it down to $1,1xx since I've been going to him for years.
Then he go BMW to cover it under the Emissions warranty! Winning.
$1400 to replace a thermostat?

Seems a bit expensive... Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
$1400 to replace a thermostat?

Seems a bit expensive... Am I missing something?
Seemed crazy to me too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0