BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

BMW CT/NJ/NY meet - Mar. 23 - Floyd Bennett (airstrip) Field in Brooklyn!

Hey guys theres going to be a decent size meet coming up this Saturday and will have some F10's, M and 3 series guys all rolling in. Originally it was suppose to be a F10 only meet but word got around and now we have all models showing up. Weather should be nice so come out if you have time.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=672724

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post

Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn, New York by flickr4jazz, on Flickr

Sat. Mar. 23rd 2013 @ 12PM

BMW owners and enthusiasts are meeting at this wonderful venue for the first event of the season.

Everyone is welcome. This is intended as a clean family-friendly gathering.
RSVP is not required. Some members have confirmed below so we have an idea of what the minimum turn-out should be.

There should be lots of F10s, a few M/// models and perhaps some exotic cars if the word has gotten around.

FAQs:

Location and address:
50 Aviation Road
New York, NY 11234
(718) 338-3799
Here is the web site of the The Floyd Bennett Field.[/size]

Here is the Google Maps link to the address
If you have your BMW Assist account set-up, click "more", then "Send", click "Car" on the left hand side and enter the email address associated with your BMW Assist account. In your car, the message will be waiting for you next time you start it up. Look under Messages.

Weather forecast:
Weather looks good: Sunny and 45 degrees. Bring a nice jacket, it may be windy/ chilly.

How to reach me:
Call/ text: (347) 871-0BMW

Where are we meeting and parking?
Alan L sumed it up (thank you!), here is how to get to it:
When you first turn into the park and make it passed the gate, you need to make the first left onto the main road and take it all the way down.
You will see a couple of airplane hangers to your left where we will be parking at.

There is a parking lot in front of the hangars.
My understanding is they are still closed to the public but it would be nice to have them in the background.

What type of event is this going to be?
The person to speak with for permits is at (718) 338-3454.
I spoke with them back in Feb. Recap:

The nice Hangar with the old planes was damaged by hurricane Sandy and they do not know when it will be re-opened.
I described our intent: 20-30 BMW owners showing up and parking in one area next to each-other to form a non-commercial gathering.
One, a couple or a several people may have a camera and will be snapping a few shots of the cars.

Answer: NO permit is required so long as:
we do NOT "set-up" the area we use: canopies, tables, grills, generators, models, projectors, sound system etc.

If we cross that line and we are spotted = problems.
For info: if we wanted/ needed a permit, there would be fees + 2 weeks processing + insurance + filling-out a form which amongst things asks for the SS# of the person organizing the event. No interest on my part.
So there you have it.

What's the history of that place?
Under the guidance of the greatest of all New Yorkers, Robert Moses, Floyd Bennett Field was built originally on Barren Island in Jamaica Bay, and was later connected to the mainland with sand dredged from the bay.

The airfield was named for Naval Aviator and Brooklyn resident Floyd Bennett, who was the first person to fly over the North Pole.

Famous aviators, including Amelia Earhart and Howard Hughes flew out of this airfield. It was taken over by the Navy during WW II and decomissioned in the 1970s. It is now part of the National Park Service.

How many people are attending?
The following forum members at a minimum:

octopump
samkumar
Alan L.
dbs600
bighungry618
DINAN_GT
ankitpoo
rohitg
marius
alewifebp
SC78
novados
007mead
gtmassive75
kar don
5soko (m5board)
siikhM6 (m5board)
Nison
unclebnz
hufington
dsnray
Michael_s
cheikh82
cn555ic

After the event:
Please send your pictures and videos to bmwmeets at gmail after the event so that I can pass them on to the bimmerfest staff.
For the ones who know how to, please mask the license plates of the cars you have shot in the picture.
I am in touch the site administrators and asking them to put our event on the front page and to update with pictures afterwards.

Video/ Pictures:
I will capture video footage with a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. Does anyone know their way around video editing to produce a nice video of the event from the raw footage I and perhaps others will supply? Please contact me.

Looking forward to seeing/ meeting you all. Thank you everyone!
      03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
rogi16012
rog
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2016 981 GT4

Good location, right near my house. Ill be there.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

I have been wanting to go to a meet from this board for some time, but im flying out Sunday a.m. and you know us girls... we have a ton to pack.. So I don't think I'll be going... take lots of pictures though guys...

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0