BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #45
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

No brainer! The cayman spyder is the perfect weekend car. The handling dynamics have been praised over the gt3 and it'll hold value. The m3 is a gt car and the spyder is a true sports car.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #46
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

The Spyder is AMAZING!!!! Seriously, one of the best drivers cars of all time. My pops is selling his. He drove it every single day. The top takes about 40 seconds for him to put up. He's kind of crazy and goes through cars quick, It will be a sad day when it's gone

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21994986&Log=0
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #47
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Buy it. It has way more soul than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #48
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
The Spyder is AMAZING!!!! Seriously, one of the best drivers cars of all time. My pops is selling his. He drove it every single day. The top takes about 40 seconds for him to put up. He's kind of crazy and goes through cars quick, It will be a sad day when it's gone

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21994986&Log=0
Very nice. I assume he traded it in, and this is it now?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #49
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

yes yes and hell yes
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #50
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Very nice. I assume he traded it in, and this is it now?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Very good detective work! He's in a 996 GT3 now. Large upgrade performance wise, however the GT3 feels ready to jump a ledge at all times and the Spyder feels like you should always be going 10mph faster. Both have their pros and cons. Is your 911 the yellow one w/ some Ruf goodies by any chance?
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #51
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Very good detective work! He's in a 996 GT3 now. Large upgrade performance wise, however the GT3 feels ready to jump a ledge at all times and the Spyder feels like you should always be going 10mph faster. Both have their pros and cons. Is your 911 the yellow one w/ some Ruf goodies by any chance?
Yeah the 996 GT3 is a real wild beast for sure. From the brief outing when I got to drive one, I could feel it crying to be on a racetrack... and in more experienced hands.The Spyder definitely seems like the nicer car on the street and for casual spirited driving.

Yeah that sounds exactly like my '75 911 I just sold a few months back. Where are you seeing it still up for sale?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #52
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBspeed View Post
Yeah the 996 GT3 is a real wild beast for sure. From the brief outing when I got to drive one, I could feel it crying to be on a racetrack... and in more experienced hands.The Spyder definitely seems like the nicer car on the street and for casual spirited driving.

Yeah that sounds exactly like my '75 911 I just sold a few months back. Where are you seeing it still up for sale?
It is a seriously humbling car. If I was going to choose one though it would hands down be a 996 GT3, but I try and turn everything in a race car anyway.

And the reason I was asking about your 911 is I am 99% sure I saw you (I guess it could now be the current owner?) blasting around up coldwater in it. What an awesome car!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #53
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C4S Cab

I just did this exact same swap and I couldn't be more happier...the m3 has it beat slightly on creature comforts, but I was immediately sold on the porsche after the test drive. like ferris bueller said "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up" (as long as you don't need backseats, ).

Last edited by toper; 06-30-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #54
navarrojiii
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper View Post
I just did this exact same swap and I couldn't be more happier...the m3 has it beat slightly on creature comforts, but I was immediately sold on the porsche after the test drive. like ferris bueller said "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up" (as long as you don't need backseats, ).

Did you just pick your spyder up at Downtown LA Porsche??
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #55
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Last year when I bought my M3, the final decision came down to two cars. M3 or Cayman S. When buying a pure toy, you really must consider how much you will actually get to drive it. My M3 is also my toy. I have a Cayenne as my DD. Still, I needed the ability to transport my kids and people. Much of my fun driving is interspersed with kid transport (drop kids off at activities/friends house, then take a spirited drive home, etc). I also take my M3 to our vacation home on the coast of Maine. It is a 2.5 hour highway drive. As such, I needed a degree of comfort and cruisability. Finally, even when vacationing, I needed to be able to carry a certain amount of people and "stuff" from time to time. Either that, or I don't get to enjoy my M3 when vacationing on the coast. How sad would that be?!

Remember, the argument that "I have another vehicle for practical stuff" doesn't hold if you spend so much time doing practical stuff that you never get to drive your toy.

I actully love to drive. Having a garage queen doesn't do it for me. Having a pure driving toy is a romantic idea, just make sure your life situations are really such that you will get your drive time.
      07-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #56
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by navarrojiii View Post
Yep, that's the one...had to drive down from SJ, but the ride back was sublime.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #57
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

OP, have you made a decision yet?

I too was looking at the Spyder before I purchased my E90. I had an E36 Coupe and was looking to get a new car and fell in love with the Spyder (I was never a fan of the Boxster). But the wife insisted on a 4 door as we are looking to start a family. My goal was keep my E36 as DD and the Spyder would have been my weekend car. That option didn't fly with the wife. I "settled" for my E90 and have no regrets. There is just something about a vert in Cali that feels right.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #58
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Last year when I bought my M3, the final decision came down to two cars. M3 or Cayman S. When buying a pure toy, you really must consider how much you will actually get to drive it. My M3 is also my toy. I have a Cayenne as my DD. Still, I needed the ability to transport my kids and people. Much of my fun driving is interspersed with kid transport (drop kids off at activities/friends house, then take a spirited drive home, etc). I also take my M3 to our vacation home on the coast of Maine. It is a 2.5 hour highway drive. As such, I needed a degree of comfort and cruisability. Finally, even when vacationing, I needed to be able to carry a certain amount of people and "stuff" from time to time. Either that, or I don't get to enjoy my M3 when vacationing on the coast. How sad would that be?!

Remember, the argument that "I have another vehicle for practical stuff" doesn't hold if you spend so much time doing practical stuff that you never get to drive your toy.

I actully love to drive. Having a garage queen doesn't do it for me. Having a pure driving toy is a romantic idea, just make sure your life situations are really such that you will get your drive time.
If you NEED the backseats this holds, but the Spyder has two trunks and seriously holds a freakish amount of stuff.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #59
navarrojiii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toper
Quote:
Yep, that's the one...had to drive down from SJ, but the ride back was sublime.
I just went to downtown LA Porsche yesterday to take a look at that Spyder but they informed me that someone from the bay area came and picked it up.... So you're the one that beat me to the punch! Lol
Congratulations, it looks nice. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #60
toper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just went to downtown LA Porsche yesterday to take a look at that Spyder but they informed me that someone from the bay area came and picked it up.... So you're the one that beat me to the punch! Lol
Congratulations, it looks nice. Enjoy!
Oh wow, no kidding? That's hilarious!

Yeah, I've been internet shopping for the past 3-4 months and I noticed that used spyders don't stay on the lot very long. I was fortunate enough to find this one right when it was listed and contacted them right away...been working with them the past week when we got to the point where I would need to show up Friday morning to secure the vehicle. So I left Thursday nite and got there right when they opened (two other guys actually came in around lunchtime right as we were finishing up the paperwork).

Anyways, have you decided what you were going to do? If you go for it I wish you the best of luck in your search, you wont be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #61
Schweez
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 CP (Sold)

What did you decide?

Just joined the forum and saw your dilemma. Was wondering what you decided to do. The reason I ask (this is gonna sound obnoxious) is that I actually have both. I have the M3 CP (2012) and my fiancé has the Spyder. We've tracked both and, in my opinion, if its a weekend thing, get the Spyder. There's something real special about it. It's uncompromising which I love. And, to be honest with you, the top is easy to put on/take off once you've done it a few times. Not sure where you live but if it doesn't rain much, it's really not a big issue. Anyway, good luck and you can't go wrong either way.

PS- personally, if I could go back in time I'd get the Cayman R first.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #62
Koop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E34 M5

I spent quite a long time debating between the Cayman R and the M3. The M3 is practical, comfortable, powerful and has an amazing engine. The Cayman has sublime handling dynamics and the feeling that the car pivots around your hips.

After driving both back-to-back the difference in power was very striking. Honestly, the Cayman didn't feel much (if any) faster than my E34 M5 in a straight line. I felt like the Cayman needed about 50-60 more hp. That said, if I wasn't looking for a DD and just wanted a weekend/track toy, I'd seriously consider a Cayman R based on handling alone.

I think a Boxter Spyder would be a fantastic car to have in SoCal. You might miss those extra horses, though. I know I would.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #63
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

The Spyder was the only other car I considered. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice even though I love my M.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #64
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Keep it. If your looking for a car not too many people have, buy a Bugatti.
      07-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #65
navarrojiii
Private
Rep

So I eliminated the Boxster Spyder... It's just too small for me (I barely fit) and after much debating it's going to be only a 911 or bust.
So at the moment I'm considering a silver 996 GT3 or a super clean yellow 996 C4S I found. Aesthetically I think the C4S is the best looking and probably the best to live with, not to mention it's cheaper by $10k. But there's something special about the GT3! I only go to the track maybe 3 times a year so right now I'm leaning more towards the C4S.
Yes I know these cars are downgrades from an e92 m3 but I have a 2012 audi A3 as a company car and i want a weekend car that is more involving not necessarily faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

i dont see how a Porsche, especially a GT3, could be a downgrade, but i'd love to have the same dilemna as you right now
but i'd probably get the Spyder...
Appreciate 0