BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

BPM

02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #1365
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I was just curious what others thought. Personally, I prefer the "real deal", whatever it might be, so I'll probably just continue to drool over tourbillons until someday I can afford one from a known brand name.

I have read about them, and I am aware they are not accurate, similar to automatics. They are very cool little engineering marvels though, and I love cool stuff.

I'm still saving for my next purchase, trying to get around 10K together, for a Reverso Grande Duo possibly. The Tourbillon will have to wait (probably a Long Long time lol).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #1366
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Wow, that's a cool watch. I may also jump on one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
For anyone itching to add a Tourbillon to your collection at a reasonable price, Android is having a sale right now on one of theirs..... http://www.android-usa.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #1367
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Wow, that's a cool watch. I may also jump on one of these.
haha, just did.... I was hoping more for the 45mm to be on sale, but the 48 isn't bad on my wrist. I'm lucky being big that I can get away with some of the bigger pieces.

My dad gave me a 47mm Panerai, and I manage to make it look like a normal sized watch, so a 48 isn't going to be a stretch.

I also threw the watch kit in with it, much needed for cleaning and sizing and maintaining my watches, I have lots of cheepies as well as a few high end ones. And most of the cheepies need new batteries while the high end ones needs sizing attention...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #1368
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
haha, just did.... I was hoping more for the 45mm to be on sale, but the 48 isn't bad on my wrist. I'm lucky being big that I can get away with some of the bigger pieces.

My dad gave me a 47mm Panerai, and I manage to make it look like a normal sized watch, so a 48 isn't going to be a stretch.

I also threw the watch kit in with it, much needed for cleaning and sizing and maintaining my watches, I have lots of cheepies as well as a few high end ones. And most of the cheepies need new batteries while the high end ones needs sizing attention...
Didn't you just buy a Zenith last week?? I wish I had your desposable income
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #1369
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
Didn't you just buy a Zenith last week?? I wish I had your desposable income
It's a terrible addiction.... I live on cheese and crackers...

Nice trick though, I saved more on the Zenith then the android cost me. More then double, close to tripple.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1370
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

which color did you get Reed (of the android tourbillion)?
      02-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #1371
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
which color did you get Reed (of the android tourbillion)?
Went for the greyish one. At 48mm that would have been a lot of white.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #1372
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Talking about tourbillion watches, I have a Swatch Diaphane One 'tourbillion' limited edition. The price back then (2002?) when I bought it was €3,333,-
and this is # 654/2222.
I have never worn it at all, the movement is pretty good looking. A bit like a Volkswagen Polo with a Porsche Turbo engine.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #1373
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
Try tourneau downtown
Thanks, after a ton of research and a bit of luck, I've found a good AD for Omega that's willing to deal. Here are my choices... Still can't decide though.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #1374
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

The size has me on the fence. I too think I'd like the 45mm better. I know I wanted a bigger watch than my Submariner, but 50mm, man, I just don't know.
Can you post a pic of your Panerai on your wrist?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #1375
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just to show you how difficult it is to compare sizes,

The 47mm Panerai wears rather large as it's more of a square, and has a thick case. As a result of the sware case the lugs stick out futher.

for comparison sake and to demonstrate the point, the Nixon here (old watch) is a 50mm, but because it is properly round, it wears about the same as the Panerai, maybe even slightly smaller looking in some ways.

And just for the sake of it. The omega is a 42mm, but with lugs that are a little closer together, resulting in them being pushed out a bit and making it wear bigger then a 42 with a thin case and wide lugs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #1376
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I love the Speedy and the Nixon!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #1377
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I love the Speedy and the Nixon!
Thanks

I find the Panerai is an aquired taste (was a gift) People that love them go nuts over them and have massive collections. And people that hate them would probably throw them off cliffs if they had the chance. I'm on the fence (rare) so it depends what mood Im in to wear it.

The speedy actually gets loads of wrist time since I got it, sort of a daily wearer.

The Nixon sort of became sidelined when I started getting higher end watches. It makes appearances at work when I know I'll be moving things around and I don't want to damage other watches. It's also more of a boat watch too with the screw down crown and start stop buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #1378
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Thanks

I find the Panerai is an aquired taste (was a gift) People that love them go nuts over them and have massive collections. And people that hate them would probably throw them off cliffs if they had the chance. I'm on the fence (rare) so it depends what mood Im in to wear it.

The speedy actually gets loads of wrist time since I got it, sort of a daily wearer.

The Nixon sort of became sidelined when I started getting higher end watches. It makes appearances at work when I know I'll be moving things around and I don't want to damage other watches. It's also more of a boat watch too with the screw down crown and start stop buttons.
nice collection Reed, I love my Pam and grown to love it more and more. It really stands out and can be worn with a suit or as a daily (but i stopped using it as a daily)

Panerai Luminor Base Logo by GQjai, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #1379
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks

I like PANs too, just not yours. Sorry! The bezel is too funky for me. A bit too much going on. I saw a PAN rep at the Dorint near the Ring. They are amazing pieces. Heavy too!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #1380
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I'm a big fan of the Panerai's... one day I will own one. Personally, I like the style of Reed's over Tim's, but both are really nice.

If you ever get bored with it Reed, feel free to donate it to my broke-ass.
      02-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #1381
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
nice collection Reed, I love my Pam and grown to love it more and more. It really stands out and can be worn with a suit or as a daily (but i stopped using it as a daily)

Panerai Luminor Base Logo by GQjai, on Flickr
Thanks Tim, but those 3 are only the tip of the iceberg I've been collecting fahsion watches for likely near 10 years, and have only recently moved on to higher end, and that collection is growing. (perhaps a little too fast) Must work on stopping that. I do see an end to it, I just have to get there

I wouldn't mind one of the sandwich faces like the one you have. I haven't really seen the lume at night on one, but can only imagine how bright it is. Mine could probably be spotted from a hunded feet away a few hours after it's gone dark... and it doesn't contain half the lume of the sandwiches.

which one is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I like PANs too, just not yours. Sorry! The bezel is too funky for me. A bit too much going on. I saw a PAN rep at the Dorint near the Ring. They are amazing pieces. Heavy too!
No worries, I like busy watches I find some of the Pams are a little simple, and some of them can get too busy. Imagine mine with a chrono function!!! I couldn't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I'm a big fan of the Panerai's... one day I will own one. Personally, I like the style of Reed's over Tim's, but both are really nice.

If you ever get bored with it Reed, feel free to donate it to my broke-ass.
haha, I would, but I had to agree with my dad that the day I get bored of it, he gets it back. I suspect that's so he can trade it in for another watch for himself. Darn conditional gift...

Pam's are also hard to get bored of, there are so many different companes that make bands for them that if you get bored, you go online and order another 1 or 15 of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #1382
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

My only watch
Attached Images

02-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1383
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
My only watch
good choice for an only watch, it's tried tested and true.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #1384
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
also, I forgot to mention (I think) my wrist is a little over 7.5" so that might help shed some perspective on the face sizes.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #1385
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Just picked up this Poljot Journey chronograph, the Junkers (pronounced yoonkers) chrono, and ordered a Panerai homage of the Luminor Marina titanium that I found on the watchuseek forum. I am really happy with the Poljot and the Junkers. I have always love the look of the IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, and the Junkers has a very similar bezel / look. Found it very lightly used on the Poor Mans Watch forum for a great price.

Dropped about $700 for all 3 pieces. Really happy with the purchases - Julian from www.poljot24.de sent me 3 different leather straps and a stainless bracelet for the Poljot. The watch is really good looking in person.

Also have a Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT automatic and a Seiko chrono that I wear often.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #1386
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

so after a short wait, I got an email yesterday saying my delivery would be delayed because of brokerage/customs, but today it showed up as was originally planned, so that was a nice surprise.

I'm on the fence about the band, it's super thick, but the watch is pretty thick as well, so they sort of work together.

I think from what I can tell, the watch case sits on my wrist at about the same point, maybe slightly less then my panerai which is a 47mm. The thing is super heavy, I wish I had a food weigh scale, it's got to be close to 4-500grams. I have a few heavy watches, but none are even close to this

sorry for the bad picture, I wanted to get one up asap, and my flash was acting a little strange.

The tourbillon is a beautiful thing to watch in person.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0