BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Question on DCT Shifting and Noise @ high RPM

Quick question for you gurus. I've got a 2011 M3 (80k miles) and am having some problems with my DCT. The problem is really tough to explain but i'll give it my best shot.

When driving normally in D mode the car feels normal but when I hustle it at high rpms in manual mode the shifts are late to up-shift and they often slam into gear and the downshifts are not very firm and also slam from time to time. A few times when running it hard I heard a loud screech coming from the transmission area of the car. The car almost feels like it's confused like a clock out of sequence. I am under warranty and am planning on taking the car in but wanted to get an idea if this sounds familiar to you all and what was your remedy?
      06-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Erm if I heard a loud screech from transmission u would not be driving the car anymore, let alone running it hard a few times. Pls take the car in asap.

As for cause, low transmission fluid has been known to cause weird problems with the gearbox.
Appreciate 1
ATLIEN549.00
      06-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
low transmission fluid has been known to cause weird problems with the gearbox.
Could I be potentially damaging teeth with low fluid? Maybe 1L of fluid low. I know I'm skipping gears when I break around my neighborhood or going up hill because fluid is reaching the sensor up front
Appreciate 1
ATLIEN549.00
      06-15-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Erm if I heard a loud screech from transmission u would not be driving the car anymore, let alone running it hard a few times. Pls take the car in asap.

As for cause, low transmission fluid has been known to cause weird problems with the gearbox.
No doubt about not pushing it. I heard the noise two or three times. Will be taking it in this week.
      06-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

The screeching/squeaking noise during high RPM shifts with the DCT might be the belt tensioner. I had the noise with both my previous DCT M3s.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post
The screeching/squeaking noise during high RPM shifts with the DCT might be the belt tensioner. I had the noise with both my previous DCT M3s.
Thanks man. The noise comes from behind and is super loud. I'll take it in and see Wzup. Hoping it's low on fluid or something routine.
      06-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

*****Update on my issue*****

I took my car into the dealer and they found out that I was low on transmission fluid. I want to say that he said 2L low. They also said the pan was leaking and needed to be replaced in addition to my valve cover gasket leaking. They are going to replace everything but the kicker was the option of replacing the pan with oem or something plastic. I opted for them to use the metal pan which costs me an additional $400 but I wanted it done right. Looking forward to getting her back and running right again.
      06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

let us know if you're not having any more issues
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
let us know if you're not having any more issues
Will do. They still have my car but once it's back I'll let y'all know the results.
      06-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post

I took my car into the dealer and they found out that I was low on transmission fluid. I want to say that he said 2L low. They also said the pan was leaking and needed to be replaced in addition to my valve cover gasket leaking. They are going to replace everything but the kicker was the option of replacing the pan with oem or something plastic. I opted for them to use the metal pan which costs me an additional $400 but I wanted it done right. Looking forward to getting her back and running right again.
The original BMW DCT oil pan is plastic, that's why it leaks. If they are replacing with metal, do find out what brand it is cos not all aftermarket pans are created the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The original BMW DCT oil pan is plastic, that's why it leaks. If they are replacing with metal, do find out what brand it is cos not all aftermarket pans are created the same.
Will do. Thanks for the information. When he was telling me all of this stuff I wasn't sitting down so tried to retain as much as possible. He said the plastic ones always crack and said he'd prefer to use metal if I was ok with it. I was like sure as I plan on keeping this car for the long haul.
      06-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #12
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The service team took a few photos. Here is a photo of the pan. I inquired if this was metal or plastic. They say there is no particular name for the pan. I'm questioning that.
Attached Images

06-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The service team took a few photos. Here is a photo of the pan. I inquired if this was metal or plastic. They say there is no particular name for the pan. I'm questioning that.
I confirmed that the pan is plastic and not metal. Glad I asked for photos.
      06-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I confirmed that the pan is plastic and not metal. Glad I asked for photos.
The car's back and the shifting is back to normal with no problems. Amazing what the difference is with the tranny fluid back up to spec. Finally, they changed both valve cover gaskets which was also awesome. I purchased the warranty from CarMax and must say that it was worth the while for a $500 ded. The repairs would have been $3k+ without the warranty. Lastly, they drove the car to my house which was an added perk.