BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
IamFODI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Got Öhlins R&T + front tension arm monoballs + spherical bearing camber plates?

If you have this setup, what’s your NVH like compared to stock?

Considering doing all of this myself, coming from a completely stock non-Comp non-EDC suspension. I get the impression that I should expect a bit more roughness over very sharp bumps, more road noise, and more sensitivity to tire imbalance, but otherwise ride quality should be the same or better. Is that accurate?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I have Ohlins R/T and GAS front monoballs, no camber plates. R/T rides firmer than stock, but less harsh with less NVH. Front monoballs add firmness and a tiny little bit of harshness. It's not crashy or jarring. No noise or vibration from front monoballs.

Some people report street camber plates are almost as comfortable as stock but I have not tried them.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I have driven in Ohlin cars with camber plates and stock mounts. There is a very slight increase in NVH with the camber plates.

I believe the trade off is worth it, since it's very slight and hard to notice imo. But if you were looking for the absolute most compliant setup, then stock rubber mounts are probably the way to go.

I have not driven a front tension arm monoball car, so i can't confirm the NVH there.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Ohlins with Swift's, Vorshlag race plates, and BW monoball bearings. No edc for me but every upgrade to as a huge improvement. Minor nvh if at all that I noticed. That's just me though lol.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
IamFODI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwashere View Post
Ohlins with Swift's, Vorshlag race plates, and BW monoball bearings. No edc for me but every upgrade to as a huge improvement. Minor nvh if at all that I noticed. That's just me though lol.
Other than the brand of monoballs, this is the exact setup I'm looking at. Thanks for weighing in.

I feel like it's important to hear from people who have all three mods. Having the plates and monoballs together means there's no rubber left in the front suspension besides the spring isolators. Seems like a different ballgame from having one of those mods while the other location still has stock rubber, so I figured it'd be unwise to assume that the total effect would simply be the sum of what each one contributes on its own.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I have driven in Ohlin cars with camber plates and stock mounts. There is a very slight increase in NVH with the camber plates.

I believe the trade off is worth it, since it's very slight and hard to notice imo. But if you were looking for the absolute most compliant setup, then stock rubber mounts are probably the way to go.

I have not driven a front tension arm monoball car, so i can't confirm the NVH there.
Thanks for that. I may go with a street camber plate then.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwashere View Post
This is exactly what I want for a suspension set up, except I already have the GAS monoballs.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
dfwashere
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFODI View Post
Other than the brand of monoballs, this is the exact setup I'm looking at. Thanks for weighing in.

I feel like it's important to hear from people who have all three mods. Having the plates and monoballs together means there's no rubber left in the front suspension besides the spring isolators. Seems like a different ballgame from having one of those mods while the other location still has stock rubber, so I figured it'd be unwise to assume that the total effect would simply be the sum of what each one contributes on its own.
It's definitely been a great setup. Been roughly 26k miles on them coilovers (2-3k on the monoballs) but it's been nothing but great. I've started to look into stiffer springs but otherwise no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
This is exactly what I want for a suspension set up, except I already have the GAS monoballs.
I eventually went stiffer spring rates in the rear (Swift's as well). Feels great at least in my opinion so might want to consider that too if you ever feel a need to upgrade 😉.
Appreciate 0